ESAB Ductcutter

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
wyofreeride
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

ESAB Ductcutter

Post by wyofreeride »

I am looking to get into a CNC plasma for my shop (home fab shop, probably will do some sign work as well) and ran across a local ESAB Ductcutter I think its 6'x10' cutting area, about a 2001 model I believe, for sale (or possibly trading some work for it)

I have a couple questions on it, and haven't found much online that was too useful about these machines.

1) It doesn't have torch height control, just an air cylinder to pick it up for moves, and a plate with wheels to ride around on the sheetmetal as it cuts. Can this be retro'd easily, or does ESAB make a z axis for this machine thats not crazy expensive?

2) Its a downdraft, and I'd much rather have a water table. It looks like it wouldn't bee tough to build a new water table instead, anyone ever converted one of these tables before

3) I haven't had a chance to look into the software that is included, I think they said it was shopsmith or something? Does the controller just take standard G-Code, so I could use whatever package I like, or is it a proprietary file format?

The table comes with a Hypertherm Powermax 900, A compressor (not sure of specs, probably 80 gal standup recip), the downdraft parts and blowers, and the computer hardware and software to run it. The guy is selling everything he has related to the plasma setup as a package deal.

He's asking around 10k for it, but is open to negotiations and some trading.

Is this machine too specialized to do what I need (cut brackets, suspension parts and signs) or should I jump on it and peddle it later if I cant make it do what I want.

I think I could run the torch height in manual, and possibly add a AVHC later on. I have worked with a 6'x10' Torchmate X quite a bit, and am not very familiar with other machines. I really like the torchmate setup, and have been considering a growth series 4x4 or 4x8, and the financing option is appealing.

Any input would be great, and anyone that has one of these machines or experience running them would be even better.
Stout
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: ESAB Ductcutter

Post by Stout »

I had an Esab Profiler machine for many years. Vision 1000 controller and Esab PCM1000 100 amp power supply. No AVHC but a fairly quick motorized torch lifter that could be controlled via the controller front panel. The controller had a very steep learning curve due to poor documentation but Esab support was great. All of the controller parts were extremely expensive to repair as Esab is the only supplier. Some of the Esab machines have a single side drive on the gantry which tends to make the opposite side a bit sloppy on the other end. I'd stay away from those models.

If it has a Vision controller, the Esab AVHC can be integrated into the controller. I have no idea how expensive this would be. I ran mine for 8 years with the manual buttons to raise/lower the torch over the plate. But I would not do it again. Really stressful. An aftermarket AVHC could also be added. There are several out there.

Not sure about converting from down draft to a water table. If the construction of the down draft will support the water and the plate, then I'd think it could be done. My 5x10 water table hold about 8 inches of water and is basically a 1/4" mild steel box.

The Vision controllers used standard G code commands just like my new Hypertherm Micro Edge controller. When I changed machines, there were only slight changes to the post processor to get it up and running.

Esab did seem to have very good records on each machine produced. I'd call support and give them the SN to see what options that machine has or if there is an upgrade path for things like the AVHC. (800) 372-2123
Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
Sector Technologies Photon 5x10 water table machine with Hypertherm Micro Edge Controller, Powermax 105
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Most duct cutting machines are not overly accurate, as in the duct cutting business accuracies of plus or minus 1/8" are pretty normal. Many are single side drives and have the ability to cut large parts at speeds in the 350 to 450 ipm range. Typical duct components do not require accurate small features or holes.....so the ability to track accurately is simply not necessary. Many of the software packages (CAM) that come with duct cutting machines also use a proprietary format. You could probably contact Esab and ask them questions about file inputting. If it will accept a common .dxf file then you may be ok.

There is always a plate rider....which is a housing around the torch with a series (usually 5 or 6) of roller balls that ride on the plate to control the cut standoff. With plasma on materials thinner than 3/16" you can often pierce and cut at the cut height....so these mechanical height control devices work adequately. If you plan to cut thicker than 3/16".....a better height control with the ability to set pierce height and cut heights separately will be necessary.

The major companies in the US that build specific duct cutting machines are: Vicon cutting systems (also known as Plasma Automation), Esab, Koike Aronson, MultiCam, Advanced Cutting Systems, Lockformer. Older technology machines that are no longer in production are: Cybermation, many of those out there! PlasmaCam also offers a duct cutting software for their machines...

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Stout

Post by Stout »

I did a quick internet search and the Ductcutter did come with the Vision controller. If the controller is a Vision model, Esab manufactured, then it can only read the final G code. DXF import is not supported. So you would need software to get from a vector drawing or .dxf file to the .mpg required by the Vision controller.
Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
Sector Technologies Photon 5x10 water table machine with Hypertherm Micro Edge Controller, Powermax 105

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”