Settings suggestions from all you Miller users

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
1fine79
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Settings suggestions from all you Miller users

Post by 1fine79 »

Hey guys,
Have any of you guys that are using Miller plasma cutters come up with a decent list of power/ feed settings?
I've got a Spectrum 2050 and just seem to be chasing my tail when it comes to getting that sweet cut for different materials. I've been trying to keep a record of my own adjustments but I can never seem to find that sweet spot in a repeatable manner.
Miller ( even their best effort at tech support) just says to refer to the manual, which is a joke. they give absolutely no variables for power settings and feed speed. their graph (as I read and understand it) just shows feed speeds for different materials based on power settings at maximum 55 amps. if you weren't supposed to change the amperage levels then why is there a freakin' adjustment knob on the front of the machine?
I know, I know, I can just hear all you other guys thinking, "should have gone with Hypertherm" and I couldn't agree more, but for now I just need some HELP! I'm stuck with what I've got until this one gets hit by lightning or maybe gets run through with the fork lift or....hey, wait.....I wonder if I could claim that on my insurance? Oh well any help would by appreciated.
BTW Jim Colt, I wish you worked for Miller. maybe you have some input!!Please!!
Wayne
Torchmate 2 self-built 5x10 w/ SS water table AVHC New
Hypertherm PM65 New
Miller Spectrum 2050 hand torch
Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
Millermatic 212 w/ spoolgun
Lincoln SP-250
JD squared Model 32 hyd.bender
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Settings suggestions from all you Miller users

Post by jimcolt »

Since the torch on your 2050 was made by Hypertherm.....you can use the cut charts for a Powermax1250 with good results. Attached is the 60 amp cut chart from the Hypertherm 1250 manual. Your consumables for 55 amp cutting are different (made by Hypertherm for Miller) and have different part numbers but look similar. Make sure you use the machine shield, not the shield for hand cutting. Charts attached.

Consumables always cut best at their highest power settings. When you reduce the power through a 55 amp nozzle to say....30 amps you are reducing the energy density and stiffness of the arc. This will change angularity of the cut, increase the chances of dross, and will likely cause warpage in the plate due to lower cut speeds. All of the specs in this chart are for 60 amps.....they will work pretty well at 55 amps, you may want to reduce cut speeds about 5 to 10%.

We could develop cut charts for every possible amperage setting.....you would then need about 150 pages of cut charts! Best bet is to start with these, try to keep the torch height always as the chart suggests, play with speed and amperage. Once you get a good cut, write down all of the specs you used.....and it should work next time you cut the same type and thickness material.

Jim Colt
60 amp cut charts.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

1fine79
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by 1fine79 »

Jim,
you are the DUDE! That's the best help I've ever gotten after all my time searching the web and talking to tech reps. Thanks so much Professor!
But let me ask another crazy question....since the torch is made by HT then can I interchange parts and get maybe better results or better consumable life? I realize I may have to change everything from the retaining cap to the nozzle, but do you think I would get any improvement over what I'm using? also if that is possible, would that give me an option to use fine cut tips on some of the more delicate/detailed stuff we try to do?
Thanks again for your priceless input.
Wayne
Hypertherm PM65 New
Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
Lincoln SP-250
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Millers torch is designed to their specs, the consumables are different than Hypertherm consumables, and are not interchangeable. Consumable life is not just with torch design, it is a co-ordinated effort between the timing of DC current and air pressure, as well as current ramp ups and downs that also contribute. I don't believe there are any Fine cut consumables for the Miller units, but I could be wrong on that!

Jim Colt
1fine79 wrote:Jim,
you are the DUDE! That's the best help I've ever gotten after all my time searching the web and talking to tech reps. Thanks so much Professor!
But let me ask another crazy question....since the torch is made by HT then can I interchange parts and get maybe better results or better consumable life? I realize I may have to change everything from the retaining cap to the nozzle, but do you think I would get any improvement over what I'm using? also if that is possible, would that give me an option to use fine cut tips on some of the more delicate/detailed stuff we try to do?
Thanks again for your priceless input.
1fine79
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by 1fine79 »

Oh well...thanks anyway Jim. You never know unless you ask and learn.
BTW i had to cut some 12ga SS (which I cut a lot) and adjusted my settings according to the list you provided me. The cut was very clean with almost no dross, however I can see that I may have to adjust the pierce delay to a bit longer. but all in all I was very pleased with the improvement.
Thanks again.
Wayne
Hypertherm PM65 New
Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
Lincoln SP-250

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”