plasma cam or torchmate

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
STEEL3470
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

plasma cam or torchmate

Post by STEEL3470 »

might not be the right topic but the art is what i will be cutting

which is better and why. im leaning towards the torchmate.

fyi im curently cutting on a brand new amada 4000 watt laser at work but we are getting very busy there and dont have time to cut my stuff so i need one for the garage.
Garysbiz
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: plasma cam or torchmate

Post by Garysbiz »

I have a Torchmate 2 4x4 table with avhc and a plate marker and I really like it. I was initially leaning towards PlasmaCam but found out that their tech support is not free after 3 years, and TM is lifetime, as I am a slow learner and have never been around these machines or CAD I wanted to make sure that I could get help when ever I needed it. There tech support is got to be the best of any business. I have even gone to Reno for one on one training, they charged a little for this but I got way more out of it than what I paid. I would definitely buy another one. This is just my limited opinion and I am sure there are lots of great tables out there, TM is made in the USA and probably cost a little more, but you get what you paid for. Hope this helps.
BAR M
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BAR M »

Howdy Steel,
Since this is free advice, consider it's worth. I had this same problem some years ago, I went to this site for the answer. If you look at some of the files offered up by the artists on this site, in PCM and DFX, you may notice that downloads often favor DFX 10 : 1. I have had nothing but good experience with Torch Mate. I ordered my 5' x 10' system with a complete computer system as well and they pre-loaded all the software and de-bugged it so I actually assembled the system and plugged it in and was ready to cut. I did not trust my computer skills to setup the system myself. (still don't).
Which ever way you go, good luck. This site will be your friend.
Bob
michmetalman
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by michmetalman »

I have aTorchmate 2x2 and love it! I will be upgrading to a 4x4 shortly...also by Torchmate.
Their customer service is for the most part pretty awesome. There are times when you get a guy who does not particularly sound too interested in helping you, but it is very rare. I have had a few people on the line for an hour helping me through tougher problems, most software realated. My table is not meant to handle the production I use it for, and aside from a few worn out parts...I am really impressed it has lasted me this long (3 years)without major problems.
Last edited by michmetalman on Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Absolutely love my Torchmate. Have zero complaints and echo the above on tech support. My table has been running trouble free for 4 years now (7x14) and the only thing I did was upgrade the drive motors (wasn't a failure, just a personal preference).

Whatever table you choose, I highly suggest a Hypertherm. :)
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
plasmafab
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by plasmafab »

I have a Torchmate 6x12 homebuilt with water pan and upgrades that I built about 7 yes ago. Even now I find myself calling them once and a while with a question. Tech support is always there, and always friendly and helpful. I even buy my consumables from them as their prices beat my local weld supply who I have had an acct with for over 28 yrs. Hard to believe! Their the best, period my 2 cents. Good luck plasmafab
larrycameron44
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by larrycameron44 »

STEEL3470 wrote:might not be the right topic but the art is what i will be cutting

which is better and why. im leaning towards the torchmate.

fyi im curently cutting on a brand new amada 4000 watt laser at work but we are getting very busy there and dont have time to cut my stuff so i need one for the garage.
Torchmate and Hypertherm, the 2 go together like pavlova and cream :-)

Larry
NZ
Proballz03
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Proballz03 »

Just to let others know there is a new plasma group out there thats may work for you. I use the web a lot for about a year and made my decision with these guys. You do get more for what you pay for here! Made in the USA too!

http://www.plasmaroutecnc.com/index.php
PlasmaRoute "DO NOT BUY there Plasma table from this company NO Support"
Thermal Dynamics A-60
ArtCam
Sheet Cam
Mach3
Refrigerator dry Air
Charlotte,NC
https://www.facebook.com/pages/ACSD-Art ... 90?fref=ts
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

larrycameron44 wrote: Torchmate and Hypertherm, the 2 go together like pavlova and cream :-)

Larry
NZ

You might have to explain pavlova Larry, that's another great Aussie creation That lots of other places don't know about ;)
Murray
Garysbiz
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Garysbiz »

no comprende pavlova
GMFAB
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by GMFAB »

Yes,
Torchmate & Hypertherm , you wont regret it.
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

Garysbiz wrote:no comprende pavlova

A desert cake made using egg whites and sugar typically dressed with fresh fruit and cream (notice Larry that I used an image with kiwi fruit ;) ) very sweet and an Australian desert tradition
timswelding
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by timswelding »

Check out all the forums then check out Arclight Dynamics. Supper customer support. I own a 5x10 and love it.
superoverenginered
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by superoverenginered »

Im with Tims welding..I have an arclight 12000 series and it works awesome...I too for 15 years ran lasers Tanaka and Bystronic and I really like the arclight machine. Just my 2cents
Why make one when you can make 2
5x10 Arclight Dynamics plasma table
powermax 65
Concrete Printer with dewalt router
Miller mig/tig
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by abmetal »

We started out with Plasmacam 4x4, after a couple of years we went to a Torchmate 4x8 but the wife didn't like the program so we went back with a Samson 5x10 and she's been happy ever since. Simpler for her to use.

Allen
MIFab

Post by MIFab »

If I could do it all over Id go with a Torchmate over placmacam !
BrianMick

Post by BrianMick »

Garysbiz wrote:I have a Torchmate 2 4x4 table with avhc and a plate marker and I really like it. I was initially leaning towards PlasmaCam but found out that their tech support is not free after 3 years, and TM is lifetime, as I am a slow learner and have never been around these machines or CAD I wanted to make sure that I could get help when ever I needed it. There tech support is got to be the best of any business. I have even gone to Reno for one on one training, they charged a little for this but I got way more out of it than what I paid. I would definitely buy another one. This is just my limited opinion and I am sure there are lots of great tables out there, TM is made in the USA and probably cost a little more, but you get what you paid for. Hope this helps.
Plasmacam does not charge for support.......This has been discussed on this web site in some heated debates a few times.
I Love my plasmacam for the ease of drawing artwork especially. The new designedge software is one of the most functional cad/cam programs out there. I have other tables also. Even a High definition class hpr 400 on an alltra table and all of my drawings are done with plasmacam.
Brian
larrycameron44
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by larrycameron44 »

muzza wrote:
larrycameron44 wrote: Torchmate and Hypertherm, the 2 go together like pavlova and cream :-)

Larry
NZ

You might have to explain pavlova Larry, that's another great Aussie creation That lots of other places don't know about ;)
Murray
Oh come on, we all know that the following items are all kiwi things that you Aussies have stolen........ Not unlike the original reason that the colony was set up. :D
Pavlova
Pharlap
Ugg boots
Sam Neil
Russell Crow

But you can have
Russell back, we don't like him :mrgreen:

Larry
NZ
larrycameron44
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by larrycameron44 »

muzza wrote:
Garysbiz wrote:no comprende pavlova

A desert cake made using egg whites and sugar typically dressed with fresh fruit and cream (notice Larry that I used an image with kiwi fruit ;) ) very sweet and an Australian desert tradition
A traction stepped with kiwi culture and yeah, those kiwi fruit you see on top?

There is a reason for that. It's a kiwi invention! :D
Larry
Nz
MetalheadRK
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by MetalheadRK »

a year and a half ago we purchased a plasmacam. I knew absolutely nothing about it. My husband taught me how to use the soft ware and now this is my full time job. Never had a problem. Tech support is awesome. Love my machine!
4x4 PlasmaCam
Hypertherm 45
Eastwood 175 MIG welder
Garysbiz
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Garysbiz »

BrianMick wrote:
Garysbiz wrote:I have a Torchmate 2 4x4 table with avhc and a plate marker and I really like it. I was initially leaning towards PlasmaCam but found out that their tech support is not free after 3 years, and TM is lifetime, as I am a slow learner and have never been around these machines or CAD I wanted to make sure that I could get help when ever I needed it. There tech support is got to be the best of any business. I have even gone to Reno for one on one training, they charged a little for this but I got way more out of it than what I paid. I would definitely buy another one. This is just my limited opinion and I am sure there are lots of great tables out there, TM is made in the USA and probably cost a little more, but you get what you paid for. Hope this helps.
Plasmacam does not charge for support.......This has been discussed on this web site in some heated debates a few times.
I Love my plasmacam for the ease of drawing artwork especially. The new designedge software is one of the most functional cad/cam programs out there. I have other tables also. Even a High definition class hpr 400 on an alltra table and all of my drawings are done with plasmacam.
Brian

Just to clarify what I initially said. Just before I made my decision in mid 2011, I called Plasmacam and they told me over the phone that there was a charge for tech support after 3 years of purchase, that is why I went with Torchmate. Maybe they have changed since then, I do not know. That is all I know about them and I was going to go with them up until that point. Just my experience, nothing more, nothing less. Thank you
Garysbiz
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Garysbiz »

Oh and that Pavalova stuff looks good.... making me hungry.....
abmetal

Post by abmetal »

We purchased our first Pcam in 2006 and we've NEVER had to pay for tech support. And believe me....we've asked some pretty dumb questions. Or at least I figured they were. They've been very, very patient with us.

Allen
wishiwastorching
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by wishiwastorching »

Torchmate and Hypertherm, The only way I will ever go again.
No Class
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by No Class »

I would consider myself a beginner with regards to automated plasma. I have a manufacturing background and experience with cnc but never with plasma. About five years ago I transitioned from the trades into teaching and when an opportunity presented itself two months ago to get a cnc plasma system for my classroom I jumped at it. I did plenty of research and decided on a Torchmate 4x4 with a hypertherm powermax 65. I was somehow talked out of the powermax by the vendor and ended up with a Lincoln tomahawk 1000 with a torchmate 4x4 table. That was in my opinion a huge mistake. There is next to nothing for resources for that unit with regards to cut speeds, heights, amperages and voltages. I have had no operational issues with the unit but the amount of set up time has been difficult to deal with.

Torchmate tech support are very nice people to deal with and have been able to help me through some minor table issues. They have failed miserably to this point with some software version issues. I was supposed to have a "master" workstation and a series of of educational version "seats". They have yet to fix this and it has been a month. I have hours on the phone on a number of different occasions trying to help them resolve and still nothing. Any of you with teenagers out there know how patient they are. Telling them the files they have created can't be converted yet doesn't go over well. I have been, to this point, left high and dry. I have spent hours and hours redrawing student projects at home from their prints inorder to keep things moving along. Frustrating.

Happy with the table. Kinda happy with the cutter. Not impressed with their customer service.

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”