Burny 1250... Worth it's Weight?

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
neohic
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Burny 1250... Worth it's Weight?

Post by neohic »

Hello to all! I'm new to the forum and I gotta say that there's a real plethora of information around here... hoping that someone can help me out with something I didn't find however.

What I'm working with is a Burny 1250 on an Aviator XL. I spent last summer getting everything together and it all works as it should. On the programming side, I understand that it's got its 53 factory programmed shapes but what I'm wondering if it's possible of doing more in its current state.

Not listed in the manual but on my main screen is what looks like a "teach program" function. Anybody know anything about this? What my goal is to find out if my 1250 is capable of understanding anything other that the shapes already programmed into it. Thanks guys!
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Burny 1250... Worth it's Weight?

Post by jimcolt »

You can contact Burny and they can fill you in on compatible post processing software for your cnc control. Basically you draw parts in a CAD drawing program, save them as a .dxf (autocad style) file, import the .dxf into the post processing (also known as nesting) software which adds lead ins, lead outs, can compensate for kerf width, and develops the machine code that is then loaded on the Burny control....usually this is as a .cnc type file. Then you can cut anything you want.

Modern cnc controls today use PC based industrial controls that often can import CAD files directly and can internally post process the file. Thes newer controls also have a real time graphic on a display so you can see what your are cutting.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
neohic
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by neohic »

Thanks. I figured that programming would be somewhat limited with this setup. I'd like to think of it as a stepping stone to bigger, better... most importantly... up to date style of controller.

My next question would then be what would be the most cost effective upgrade as far as controllers? The table is in an educational shop so the more user friendly the better. How fussy would the CG Systems Aviator XL be for putting something newer with it?
BrianMick
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BrianMick »

Wow, you got about at least 30k invested in that Farr air filtration unit and are worried about spending money on a upgrade to the table? :lol: :lol: That is a nice unit I have the next bigger one and one that takes 32 filters.....that sucker costs an arm and a leg to replace the filters.....but they do work good.

Brian
neohic
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by neohic »

BrianMick wrote:Wow, you got about at least 30k invested in that Farr air filtration unit and are worried about spending money on a upgrade to the table? :lol: :lol: ...
Educational shop... State funding is a joke at times. When grant money is available, the fine print either says "for NEW technology" or "for maintaining older equipment". It was originally set up without any ventilation. Class sizes grew and shop space turned into prime real estate. It was taken apart and put into storage for about seven years. New shop and grant money became available so we jumped on it... only to get a mediocre CNC table that's vented amazingly. :roll:
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Programming even the newer PC based industrial PC based controls will be similar to your control. You need CAD software to draw parts, you need nesting or post processing software to convert the drawings into cutable files......which you then can cut. The newer controls will be easier to learn and operate. Here is a link to newer tech controls from Hypertherm: http://www.hypertherm.com/en-us/Product ... /Controls/

Jim Colt
kc5yhq
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by kc5yhq »

I have used a Burny 1250 since 2003. I have cut just about any and everything u can image out on it.. I use autocad 2000 and fastcam for my nesting programming...
neohic
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by neohic »

jimcolt wrote:... You need CAD software to draw parts, you need nesting or post processing software to convert the drawings into cutable files...
Thank you and I agree! More so looking for other Burny users as more of a "here's how to do it", I guess. The manual I'm working with has some of the info that my machine displays but no so much of some other info that looks like mine should have.
kc5yhq wrote:I have used a Burny 1250 since 2003. I have cut just about any and everything u can image out on it.. I use autocad 2000 and fastcam for my nesting programming...
Your Burny has a floppy drive that you move things over to it or something else? If off of a floppy, you go through the steps of (1.) Select "load/run from floppy" on the main menu then (2.) tell the Burny to open whatever file name... correct? Does the Burny only recognize file names in numbers?
neohic
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by neohic »

Anyone else out there who's rockin' a Burny 1250?
Burny1250
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Burny1250 »

Still rockin' a Burny1250 in 2020!! just got a "Path Error" and the ol girl veers off on random trajectories, might be time for new motion controls, we also have an aviator XL, neohic, if you are still active what did you end up getting for a new cnc?
bbkf2009
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by bbkf2009 »

neohic wrote: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:19 pm Anyone else out there who's rockin' a Burny 1250?
ThatsThat's what I use. Love it!

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”