Machine Is Stopping!!!

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
Biker
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Machine Is Stopping!!!

Post by Biker »

Hi All,

Need some help here. I have the most update version kit from CandCnc Dragon 620 DTHC IV Precision Plasma table kit 5 X 10 Hyperthermia PM85 Plasma Mach 3 Sheetcam all the most up date version. The candcnc parts seam to work good. The table turned out good. I'm not good at trouble shooting computer parts and wires.

Here is my hang up. Have cut a few good parts by now. Learning sheetcam some what now and feel good about it. The problem is sometimes I'm cutting along and for no reason it just stops cutting!!!!!!!!!! That fine on one part but this is bad because the plate is scrap when this happens. So this morning I got a 3/8 X 4 X 8 Ft plate trying to cut 22 parts from it all the same. The first part cut good it moves over to the next part and within a 1/2 from the end it stops!!!!!! I had this gut feeling this was going to happen. So changed the nesting and started over on the next first part it stopped again about 3/4 the ways around but in a different spot. I'm at lost now. When it stops the torch is touching the plate. I don't think the height control is working and I don't know how to trouble shoot this problem. I need help!!!!
chasxjs
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Machine Is Stopping!!!

Post by chasxjs »

When you say it stops cutting, I assume you mean the torch shuts off but the CNC keeps moving.
If that is the case, does Sheetcam show the torch is still on when it's not?
Charles
Shopsmith Lathe
Multiple saws, welders, etc.
Biker
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Biker »

The torch stops and the movement stops as well. Going back and forward with the Candcnc guys now. I might have the wrong Preset current Preset volts setup in sheetcam. Not sure if sheetcam tells Mach 3 what Preset volts to use or do I have to set it for the tip size I use in Mach 3. I'm very new here. I have a lot to learn. I'm used to the big CNC mills and Delcam which tells the machine what to do thru the post prosser.
BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BTA Plasma »

Are sheetcam and mach licensed?? or just a demo?
Biker
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Biker »

Yes I have the license for both sheetcam and mach 3
chasxjs

Post by chasxjs »

If both movement and torch stop at the same time, You may have a loose connection somewhere.
I'm also wondering if you have a feed-back issue.
Is the table grounded to earth and a good UPS installed for the computer?
Charles
Shopsmith Lathe
Countrylane
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Countrylane »

sometimes you also lose connection in the business end of the torch. It happens infrequently on my table and i just give a gentle tap with the rubber end of a small hammer, hit restart and it is fine for awhile. I even upgraded to a new Duramax torch thinking with the spring on the end of the electrode it would have fixed the problem. Sadly no, I still have the same issue at times. Also don't over tighten the threads on the consumable end.
rikduk
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by rikduk »

you say when it stops, the torch is touching the metal...yes, your preset volts could be too low.

Are you using candcnc's ohmic sensing? if thats the case and your preset is too low,
the torch goes down while cutting, touches the plate, then trips your z axis switch, wich triggers an e-stop.

You could have noise in your cables...is your table grounded good?
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Have you looked at the diagnostic page to see if there an error light on the input status also on the botom of the front page and diagnostic page there is a fault code any thing there????
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
suttoncnc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by suttoncnc »

Read through this post and see if you think it might be your issue. Since this fix on my machine I have had 0 arc out problems.

http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.p ... tor#p72937
Biker
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Biker »

Man!! Thanks guys. These are some good things to look. I do have it running now. Changed the preset volts and the speed. But I think what did it is what Tom and the candcnc guys told me to do. Set the soft precise to 100% I don't know why but this did it. If someone here know why this setting makes a diffence this would be good to know.
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

As it's a new build it could even be a combination of things which you will need to work through.
We can only assume you have done the install as per Toms manual and done the physical verifications of cut height etc. to make sure your set volts is true to actual.
Have you ran and earth stake for grounding the table ?
Check your fault limits
As stated above what does your diagnostics tell you and are all your read outs and values as they should be?

Also you say that with the flame out the part is junk, you should be able to manually pick up where the flame out happened and continue, if your not sure how there are a couple of recent threads on that.

Teething problems are a real pain in the butt, most of us have been there but it's what really gives you a better understanding of your machine and what makes it tick. And these teething problems are not restricted to home built, our first setup was a commercially built one that should have run as the video showed but didn't and as tech support wasn't great at the time we had to learn real quickly about a lot things if we were going to make it happen.

Hang in there and keep asking questions, just make sure to check the suggestions from those trying to help you and come back and reply, this thread will help someone else tomorrow that had your problems yesterday.
Murray
Biker
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Biker »

Mr Murray,

You are right maybe this will help someone else out. Have not looked at the diagnostic page yet. Got to learn where it is and how to read it. I do need to run an earth ground. Teething is one way to say this about learning this new type of machining.

Thanks All and Merry Christmas
chasxjs

Post by chasxjs »

The diagnostics page is the last tab on your main Mach3 screen.
Charles
Shopsmith Lathe

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”