ViconTables

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
MidAmericaIron
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

ViconTables

Post by MidAmericaIron »

I have the opportunity to purchased a used 5x10 table from Vicon. Is anyone familiar with this company? I can't find much information about them on the web. The nice thing about this table is that it's only about an hour away from me, so I can watch it run before I purchase it. The other nice thing is that the price is about the same as a new 4x4 PlasmaCam. The price also includes delivery, set-up and 2 days training, plus a 30 day warranty and lifetime phone support. All of the electronics were updated 3 years ago. Please provide any feedback you all might have.
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: ViconTables

Post by tnbndr »

I retired from the HVAC Sheet Metal Industry and had seen and looked at Vicon tables at several trade shows over the years. They are nice tables, well built but my assumption is they were for industrial applications. I have never seen one priced competitevly with hobby tables. If you can buy a used one that you see operate and it is cheaper than a Plasma CAM that is the route I would probably go.
When you go to see it, bring a file that you will be cutting if you are going to do artsy stuff and watch the process that is required to go from dxf to cutting. Also if the plasma is coming with the table see if it is capable of cutting lots of detail etc. You have a great opportunity to really test a piece of used equipment to see if it meets your requirements.
Even bring your own metal if necessary.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by abmetal »

I think that is the brand table an hvac company had where I previously worked, and if it is, their software is VERY proprietary and the next thing to impossible to import anything into it. It does a beautiful job of cutting and very well built but, even now, the guys that run it bring their artsy stuff to us to cut.

Allen
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Vicon (out of Meadville PA) has been building HVAC machines for cutting ductwork for over 25 years...they are a great company and stand behind their products well. Most of their machines are HVAC machines with special duct cutting software. These machines are not designed for fabricating or artwork, however with the right software you may be able to get them to work on regular geometric parts. Vicon also produces fabricating machines. Why don't you call them and find out the possibilities?

Jim Colt Hypertherm
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

A lot of their tables (like Lockformer) are as Jim says for HVAC and have simple pneumatic operated torch "lifters " that just push the torch down on rollers that flatten the thinner metal and keep the torch above the work. It's designed for cutting larger patterns for duct work and not for doing small details. The rollers can snag on nearby voids or tip ups. Buy a plasma table is like buying any higher end tool. Evaluate what type work it was designated to do and see if that is the type work you will be doing. Often converting or retrofitting an older single use table can exceed the cost of a new entry level table. A table designed for high speed sweeping cuts may lack the acceleration needed to do more conventional shape cutting. Big and heavy is believed by some to equal "industrial" but not particularity high performance

It is a fallacy that any CNC plasma table will do any type of cutting. Without a working THC cutting a lot of material will prove frustrating.
MidAmericaIron
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by MidAmericaIron »

Thanks for all of the replies. I have forwarded your concerns to the Vicon rep. and I look forward to his reply. I wasn't even thinking about the software being different and not being able to cut out what I need it to(fabrication/artsy stuff). I'll let you know what he says.
MidAmericaIron
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by MidAmericaIron »

I spoke with the Vicon rep. last night and forwarded everyone's concerns to him. He informed me that table will indeed cut the intricate shapes that I will be using for fabrication and artsy stuff. The software that comes with the machine is supposedly set up to do both fabrication and HAVC. The table will include a Hypertherm PM65 or 85 with the machine torch. Is there anything that I should keep my eyes open on the Powermax Jim? The nice thing is that the table is only about an hour away from me and I'll be able to take a .dxf file with me to cut. The rep. also lives only about 15 minutes from my shop and would be the one working with me to set up the table and give me the 2 days training that comes with it. If there is anything else any of you can think about, please chime in, and I truly appreciate any and all comments.

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”