DECIDING BETWEEN TABLES-Burn Table or Plasma Cam

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
trucutcnc
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: DECIDING BETWEEN TABLES-Burn Table or Plasma Cam

Post by trucutcnc »

Dan-PlasmaCAM wrote: PlasmaCAM does not Charge for tech support. We still support machines we made in 1998 with both Technical Support and Parts.
We just sold a machine to a customer who was told by your sales department that initial support was free, then there would be a charge. I didn't ask details, but that was one of the reasons he decided against PlasmaCAM. The other was your proprietary business model.

Are you saying that if a person were to buy a used PlasmaCAM they could call tech support any time without being hit up with a transfer fee or support contract?
Dan-PlasmaCAM wrote: We do not use MACH 3 for several Reasons. First and foremost is that it was not available when PlasmaCAM originated. So we made our own. By creating our own integrated CAD/CAM solution we made our machine easier to use and more accurate.
You created your own system because Mach3 was not available. I get that part, but saying it's more accurate than Mach3 is just plain deceiving. Unlike PlasmaCAM software, Mach3 is customizable to the Nth degree. Screens and functions can be easily modified and customized to fit the users needs. If parallel port control is not adequate, there are a variety of USB and Ethernet external motion controllers available. Not even sure if PlasmaCAM has a shape library, but lets assume it does. If a customer called and asked that a custom shape be added to the library, would you charge to do it? Would you even do it at all?
Dan-PlasmaCAM wrote: (FYI most machines do not use Mach3- It is the software of choice for start ups however over time they usually go to something else.)
Most machines in the sub 20K market DO use Mach3. It is well suited to the hobby, light and medium industrial markets. When a customer moves up to a heavy industrial table, they usually end up with an industrial controller from Burny, Hypertherm, ProMotion, etc. Desktop PC's don't fair well in harsh industrial environments, regardless of who's software is running. We use ProMotion controls on our large tables.
Dan-PlasmaCAM wrote: The PlasmaCAM DesignEdge drawing software is the only Drawing Program made specifically for CNC Plasma Cutting.
[/quote]

Maybe, but for the same money you can have a full blown 3D CAD program with none of the proprietary pitfalls. Unfortunately, since PlasmaCAM does not use industry standard GCode, PlasmaCAM users have no choice but to use your software.
Last edited by trucutcnc on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
http://www.trucutcnc.com
Ross Carlisle
Jackson, TN
trucutcnc
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by trucutcnc »

Black Forest wrote:
Dan-PlasmaCAM wrote:
Black Forest wrote:I didn't hear back from you Dan_ PlasmaCam after you asked for the price list I was sent from PlasmaCam that did not include the controller in the list. If I want to buy a new controller what will it cost? Simple question. I don't mean send one in and have it repaired. What do you sell a new controller for?

After I sent you the price list you never answered back to me by E-mail.
I did not notice the question. I thought you were looking to make your own machine. I will go back and look at the Email.
Now you noticed the question. What is the price for the controller? Is there a price list available for potential buyers of a used machine? Why all the cloak and dagger crap? Straight answers would be best I think.
It would be quite easy to retrofit with Mach3 and Gecko drives. Ask me how I know...:)
Ross Carlisle
Jackson, TN
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

As a long time owner of PlasmaCam machines, also a Torchmate owner and am building a Mach 3 based machine...I can clarify a few things!

-The very first generation of PlasmaCam machines had a time period where online tech service was free....then after that time ran out you had to pay for phone support. That policy was changed 10 or 12 years ago based on their customer feedback...and now the online phone support is free for all of their machines. For some reason many continue to say that you have to pay for tech support from PlasmaCam...simply is not true. There also no longer is a fee for owner transfer, you do have to register your machine...used or new...to have site access. On the site, once you are registered are all of the prices for replacement parts for PlasmaCam machines.

-The PlasmaCam software...contrary to popular belief...does generate standard GCode. I know because I use it to drive my Torchmate machine....as well as a few other industrial machines that I have access to. I think the "no G-Code" comments came from the fact that using the PlasmaCam software does not require you to know or understand G-Code....it is totally transparent when running the PlasmaCam systems.

-If you add up the numbers of the largest entry level machine builders.....which are PlasmaCam and Torchmate....you will know that there are over 30,000 combined installations by these two companies. If you look at just plasma installations with Mach3.....many of which are homebuilt machines, I would guess that the Mach 3 numbers are smaller than 30,000 by a long shot.

Mach 3 is a universal cnc software that was first developed for machining (milling, routing, lathes, etc.) and then was adapted for cnc plasma cutting. It is a great package...especially for those that build their own machines as it can be adapted to about anything. The OEM machine builders that use it (there are a dozen or so in the entry level cnc plasma market) often customize the Mach3 screensets in order to make it more user friendly. It is a nice software. So is PlasmaCams, and so is Torchmates (Flashcut) software.

In my opinion it makes more sense on this forum to debate the real capabilities of each of these machines. They are all a bit different, they all have different learning curves, each supplier has different methods of going to market as well as supporting their valued customers. I see no reason for knocking any particular systems or companies...although I'm sure me saying that will likely not stop it!

If anyone wants relatively unbiased answers about any of these systems I would be happy to offer them up. I likely am biased about the Plasma cutters (I work for Hypertherm)...but the reason I have two....and soon will have 3 machines in my home shop....is so that I can help users make their plasma cutting systems work better...be it a PlasmaCam, Torchmate, or a Mach3 based system. By the way I also have 30 years experience working with industrial plasma cnc machines from the Likes of Koike, Messer (MG), Esab, ALLtra, C&G, Retro Systems, Advanced Cutting Systems, Advanced Kiffer Systems....as well as about 55 more....if you have questions about the high priced industrial machines.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

trucutcnc wrote:
Dan-PlasmaCAM wrote: PlasmaCAM does not Charge for tech support. We still support machines we made in 1998 with both Technical Support and Parts.
We just sold a machine to a customer who was told by your sales department that initial support was free, then there would be a charge. I didn't ask details, but that was one of the reasons he decided against PlasmaCAM. The other was your proprietary business model.

Are you saying that if a person were to buy a used PlasmaCAM they could call tech support any time without being hit up with a transfer fee or support contract?
Dan-PlasmaCAM wrote: We do not use MACH 3 for several Reasons. First and foremost is that it was not available when PlasmaCAM originated. So we made our own. By creating our own integrated CAD/CAM solution we made our machine easier to use and more accurate.
You created your own system because Mach3 was not available. I get that part, but saying it's more accurate than Mach3 is just plain deceiving. Unlike PlasmaCAM software, Mach3 is customizable to the Nth degree. Screens and functions can be easily modified and customized to fit the users needs. If parallel port control is not adequate, there are a variety of USB and Ethernet external motion controllers available. Not even sure if PlasmaCAM has a shape library, but lets assume it does. If a customer called and asked that a custom shape be added to the library, would you charge to do it? Would you even do it at all?
Dan-PlasmaCAM wrote: (FYI most machines do not use Mach3- It is the software of choice for start ups however over time they usually go to something else.)
Most machines in the sub 20K market DO use Mach3. It is well suited to the hobby, light and medium industrial markets. When a customer moves up to a heavy industrial table, they usually end up with an industrial controller from Burny, Hypertherm, ProMotion, etc. Desktop PC's don't fair well in harsh industrial environments, regardless of who's software is running. We use ProMotion controls on our large tables.
Dan-PlasmaCAM wrote: The PlasmaCAM DesignEdge drawing software is the only Drawing Program made specifically for CNC Plasma Cutting.
Maybe, but for the same money you can have a full blown 3D CAD program with none of the proprietary pitfalls. Unfortunately, since PlasmaCAM does not use industry standard GCode, PlasmaCAM users have no choice but to use your software.[/quote]
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

That does sound a little funny now that I read it over....the 55 means 55 more companies (than the ones I listed) that I have worked with over the years. I spent much of my career travelling worldwide working with OEM CNC plasma machine builders...

I'll be 57 next month by the way! And by the way...my wife and I do own a gym in West Lebanon, NH.....the time I spend in it is usually doing repairs and maintenence on the equipment though....

Jim

cemrich wrote:If anyone wants relatively unbiased answers about any of these systems I would be happy to offer them up. I likely am biased about the Plasma cutters (I work for Hypertherm)...but the reason I have two....and soon will have 3 machines in my home shop....is so that I can help users make their plasma cutting systems work better...be it a PlasmaCam, Torchmate, or a Mach3 based system. By the way I also have 30 years experience working with industrial plasma cnc machines from the Likes of Koike, Messer (MG), Esab, ALLtra, C&G, Retro Systems, Advanced Cutting Systems, Advanced Kiffer Systems....as well as about 55 more....if you have questions about the high priced industrial machines.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

LOL Jim,

Let's see, 30 yrs experience plus about 55 more........Man you look GREAT for a 85+ yr old. Keep up the good work, time in the gym is paying off :) :lol:
trucutcnc
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by trucutcnc »

jimcolt wrote:
-The very first generation of PlasmaCam machines had a time period where online tech service was free....then after that time ran out you had to pay for phone support. That policy was changed 10 or 12 years ago based on their customer feedback...and now the online phone support is free for all of their machines. For some reason many continue to say that you have to pay for tech support from PlasmaCam...simply is not true. There also no longer is a fee for owner transfer, you do have to register your machine...used or new...to have site access. On the site, once you are registered are all of the prices for replacement parts for PlasmaCam machines.
I've had a number of customers that were thinking of buying a PCam and a few that upgraded from a PCam to our table that told me that support is not free. Sounds like they need to get a handle on their sales force. One of our new customer was told this just last week.
Ross Carlisle
Jackson, TN
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

PlasmaCam sells their products through three channels.....Direct, through dealers and through the go torch site. Each is handled a bit different, and it apparently is the decision of PlasmaCam management to sell that way.....I agree that some potential buyers do not like the way sales are handled. Support for all of them has been free for about 10 years or so....and is not handled by sales, rather it is handled by their tech service department through email and telephone....and also on their online user group. In my opinion the support is as good as most companies...but everyone is entitled to their own opinions. If I did not like the way a particular company handles their business...I would simply go buy from another supplier, there are many choices.

I just like to see real information posted in regards to products and companies...not speculation based on rumors and old news. There are a lot of good entry level cnc plasma machines available on the market today!

Jim Colt

trucutcnc wrote:
jimcolt wrote:
I've had a number of customers that were thinking of buying a PCam and a few that upgraded from a PCam to our table that told me that support is not free. Sounds like they need to get a handle on their sales force. One of our new customer was told this just last week.
abmagrum
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by abmagrum »

Go with the Burn table . make sure you know what comes with it. i.e computer plasma cuter water tray.thc.

YOU have to pay extra for these things at plasma cam . did they offer you the $3000.00 special? regular price say 12,000.00 - 3000.00 special youre price 12.000.00 no joke. pluss I think it only runs on pcm files not dxf.

Qh and try emailing them . Good luck with that.

I bought a Arclight but Im sure Burn Tables is a good quality.

This is just my opinion . Just make sure you know what youre getting

Al
Arclight 4x4
hypertherm 65
corel x6
mach 3, sheet cam
miller 211 auto set
tacoma747
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by tacoma747 »

abmagrum wrote:Go with the Burn table . make sure you know what comes with it. i.e computer plasma cuter water tray.thc.

YOU have to pay extra for these things at plasma cam . did they offer you the $3000.00 special? regular price say 12,000.00 - 3000.00 special youre price 12.000.00 no joke. pluss I think it only runs on pcm files not dxf.

Qh and try emailing them . Good luck with that.

I bought a Arclight but Im sure Burn Tables is a good quality.

This is just my opinion . Just make sure you know what youre getting

Al
Most definitely do not listen to this guy ^^^. He has not owned a Burntable, I have. I can't say there would be any reason I would suggest anyone to buy a Burntables brand table, after getting my Bulltear table cutting today for the first time I don't know how I ever got anything done with the Burntable. I am thinking the CandCNC controls on the Bulltear are a big part of the gut speed increases, but the lack of play in the gantry sure is nice too. The Burntable had quite a bit of play in it...
abmagrum
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by abmagrum »

I don't know anything about BURN TABLE . there were two choices I SUGGESTED the better of the two . because I do know plasma cam is the bottom. so between the two its a better choice. they didn't ask for a recommendation or I would have given some . and sorry bulltear wouldn't be one of them
Arclight 4x4
hypertherm 65
corel x6
mach 3, sheet cam
miller 211 auto set
tacoma747
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by tacoma747 »

abmagrum wrote:I don't know anything about BURN TABLE . there were two choices I SUGGESTED the better of the two . because I do know plasma cam is the bottom. so between the two its a better choice. they didn't ask for a recommendation or I would have given some . and sorry bulltear wouldn't be one of them
Not to try and start a pissing match here, but even if someone asks about one or the other, that does not mean you cannot make other suggestions. I would not suggest something that costs 5x what they are looking at, but if you had actually ever seen a Burntable in person I doubt you would suggest buying one. I have not seen a plasma cam in person, therefore I can't say if they are good or not. I can say that for the negligible price difference between a Burntable and Bulltear, the Bulltear is 100% the way to go. THAT is coming from someone that has owned BOTH. I saw enough of the flaws with the Burntable that I feel most of the design on the Bulltear is much better and should prove to be much more reliable.

You won't offend me, but why would you not reccomend a Bulltear? I was not looking to spend $15-20k on a plasma table, the Bulltear should suit me fine.
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SignTorch Vector Art »

jimcolt wrote: I just like to see real information posted in regards to products and companies...not speculation based on rumors and old news. There are a lot of good entry level cnc plasma machines available on the market today!
more importantly, I'd like to see real information posted by manufacturers and retailers, so speculation and rumors do not lead to facts like I discovered

<Snip>

when manufacturers/retailers are not clear and concise, speculation based on rumors and old news will prevail and be equally (un)reliable
Last edited by SignTorch Vector Art on Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Wow...back to bashing all the various machines and manufacturers!

Sign Torch....I have a question on this quote in your post: "doesn't even have a Z readout functionality, so no need for a touch sensor" in regards to the PlasmaCam.

I cannot think of a single reason why in a plasma cutting cnc machine that a "z axis readout" is needed. The PlasmaCam is designed (yes, with the height control upgrades that increase the price of the macine by $2k....and I would not recommend anyone buy any machine without this capability) to ohmically sense the surface of the plate, then retracts to the operator set pierce height, then indexes down to the cut height, starts moving and samples arc voltage...then locks onto the arc voltage at the cut height. The height control is independant in that it uses feedback directly from the plate being cut....as well as arc voltage feedback. A readout that shows a particular distance is useless in a plasma height control. Plasma height control for over 30 years on industrial machines has been an automated function that makes the operators job easier, makes cut quality and consumable life better.

I agree that milling and routing applications require z axis location, but PlasmaCam machines are built for plasma cutting.

Jim Colt
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

jimcolt wrote:Wow...back to bashing all the various machines and manufacturers!
wow right back.... I described my experience,

<snip><snip><snip>

between Jim. plasmacam, this forum, and all good people on here, I am not so upset with my decision to purchase a gotorch
Last edited by SignTorch Vector Art on Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
plain ol Bill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plain ol Bill »

Lot of reasons given in this thread why I decided to build my own machine and I am glad I did. When I have a problem with it I know how to fix it and if I have a problem w/ the electronics the customer service at CandCNC is at the end of my phone line.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

I love you to Bill.....
Last edited by SignTorch Vector Art on Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

"by readout I mean any input or indicator or setting to do with Z including any response to valid Z gcode motion commands "

I personally would not buy a plasma cnc machine without full THC capability. To me a cnc machine is designed so that the machine does the cutting....and in most cases you don't have to watch every cut with your hand near the up down buttons. But...if I did try to run the height control manually I wouldn't be looking at a readout, I'd be looking at the torch. The full function THC is supposed to do all the height control functionality for you...and to me that is very much worth the additional $2k that you spend on a PlasmaCam (about $3k on a Torchmate) and over $10k on an industrial machine. I know the CandCNC THC solutions are less costly....and as soon as I get my latest machine up and running I'll be able to offer an opinion on that one as well!

As far as buying a Go Torch for routing....I guess a few people do that. From my perspective the PlasmaCam machines were designed from the ground up for plasma cutting. I would not expect it to be equipped for other processes...although it likely would work. Kind of like using the trunk of a passenger car to go get gravel to repair a washout in your driveway....a truck would work better.

Jim
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Jim I super appreciate your expertise and helpfulness

I think my problem is getting slightly misunderstood

My very first question for gotorch was how much for DHC2 capability ($2k), I wanted to order it with that, but no, had to wait to order that after the sale

let's just say I couldn't get clear information and got told "we're not gotorch" a few too many times, and I decided to just toss the control box and do a retrofit, because someone was rude, and maybe they're working on that (I hope)

<snip>
Last edited by SignTorch Vector Art on Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Sign Torch,

I don't necessarily agree with the way PlasmaCam markets their products....that is their decision though. I am convinced that they have a great product for the price, so I don't let their method of operation get in my way of buying what I want. The upgrades to the GoTorch are done by contacting them online, paying for the updates and getting some sort of key or code to unlock the capability...maybe there is some sort of reason why it has to be done after you have the machine powered up...I really don't know.

On the Design Edge....I was one of the first buyers, and I did not like it at first. With me and new software (I'll be 57 in a month) unfamiliarity is the issue. The more I used it, the more I liked it. I now do not use Solidworks or Corel for any of my 2 dimensional drawings for plasma cutting. I have not found anything...be it art or be it geometric drawings that I cannot do with ease. And, to me having the CAM intertwined into the same package is very handy and easy. I think software acceptance is up to the individual. I just hate to see comments made regarding the lack of features and capabilities....when the product does have those features. As an example....while you do not ever need to look at G-Code when using a PlasmaCam system.....yes it does have the capability to generate GCode. With the PlasmaCam if you want to lock out the height control for no diving on kerf crossings or small holes...you simply choose those functions in a drop down menu...instead of having to modify lines of code....to me that is easier, more trouble free and with less chance of error.

So....when comparing different machine technologies in terms of mechanical, electrical or software design.....you can clearly argue good points about every competeing feature. When arguing points about a companies method of doing business you can argue both was as well.

Now..if I compare the Design Edge software to the combined price of Solidworks, Corel and a post processor software as I used for years with industrial CNC machines..the Design Edge is a bargain! When you compare Design Edge to much of the low cost entry level softwares it is pricey. To me though...if it is easy to use and easy to learn...it save me time and money, therefore it has a lower cost of ownership.....kind of like buying the expensive Hyperthem plasma.

Jim

SignTorch Vector Art wrote:Jim I super appreciate your expertise and helpfulness

I think my problem is getting slightly misunderstood

My very first question for gotorch was how much for DHC2 capability ($2k), I wanted to order it with that, but no, had to wait to order that after the sale

let's just say I couldn't get clear information and got told "we're not gotorch" a few too many times, and I decided to just toss the control box and do a retrofit, because they were rude, and maybe they're working on that (I hope)

the problem is, I'm holding some software titled plasmacam design edge that doesn't do or cost what everybody says it does and costs, and let's just say that's not right
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Jim, yes, I agree, mostly, but I will shut up so you don't have to write so much

thank you for explaining the button

I didn't get to try that, I did try importing gcode to control the z, but it just ignored the z coordinates, and I just wasn't accustomed to the concept of jogging while cutting

I just thought up a proverb

he who complains the least, helps the most

and Dan, I apologize for being arrogant and complaining,

I let a few sentences here and there get between us, and I was still angry

but you were right, you have mostly quite happy customers, and if they're happy, I'm happy, and most complaints probably do arise out of circumstances that you don't control, so that's not your fault, and you are a good sales manager, and person, I thank you to.....
thefabguy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by thefabguy »

Wow! After reading most of what posted here....Im sick to my stomach. I just bought a Burntable in April. Right off the bat, the controller didn't work, and I had to pay $100.00 out of pocket to send it back. Since then, its been okay...Lots of little issues, which I think some are mine, but more than mine, most are the machine. I guess what Id like to know, are there any people happy with their Burntable?
Coffinscreekcustoms
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Coffinscreekcustoms »

I AM HAPPY WITH MY BURN TABLE .I HAVE OWNED IT FOR 1 1/2 years now. I just went around the part that caused me most of my problems was the THC. I just set my height in sheet can and let it make me money!!!! If you look in any forum for specific machines you will see they all have there problems.!!! So that guy telling u not to buy one I just would rather not listen to some one that is butt hurt... so it in your court now some people like plasma can/ burntables and some do not like plasma cam / burn tables... maybe get a 4x4 table first that way you don't have a lot of money wrapped up in one. Then you can choose your big table from there. Just my 5 cents worth
Thanks jake

Hey kyle from burntables have ya got a pipe cutter attachment yet??

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”