Patina coverage - black oxide cold

Learn and share patina finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
whiskeymike
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Patina coverage - black oxide cold

Post by whiskeymike »

I contacted Caswell regarding their Black oxide finish and the coverage the 1.25 gallon kit would cover. The guy started at a 100 sq ft. and then adjusted to 40 sq ft. Does 40 sq feet for a 1.25 gallons sound right to you guys? (I know, I should take the manufacturer's word for it.) But that's pretty expensive in comparison to paint.

For instance.. if I wanted to cover 1 4x8 sheet of mild steel, I would need... 2 gallons of black oxide coating.

According to the calculator below, automotive paint would require a little over a pint. Or another way is that 2 gallons of paint would cover 12.5 sheets of steel.

Just wondering if I got someone answering the phone that was off base, as he thought it was more cost effective than paint.
whiskeymike
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Patina coverage - black oxide cold

Post by whiskeymike »

FWIW, I did the math again and when considering the labor involved, it seems like it should work out to one of the cheapest finishes you can get. Also, the website page for the product reports a higher coverage rate. So I ordered a 2.5 gallon kit and I'll report my findings here when done.
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Patina coverage - black oxide cold

Post by little blue choo »

I will be looking forward to your findings.
Thanks
Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape

Return to “Patina Finishes”