$200.00 + Rotary..

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

$200.00 + Rotary..

Post by Brand X »

Made my first cuts with my Home built Rotary,, Works great,,The world is not flat after all. :lol: It's out of the way, and it can stay on the table.. Slats will slide over the support rail. I can't upgrade my Motor controls because it's a four motor system.. Works for me though.. Use the X axis.. My THC is fast enough to do sq stock, but I have not tried it yet.. Glad I can do round stuff for now... 8-) Just a few test cuts to check things out.. Just single cuts nothing drawn out as far as laying it out.. Jogging, and cutting.. Once I figured out what way I am going.. :mrgreen:

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: $200.00 + Rotary..

Post by acourtjester »

Another example of a DIY guy getting it done, looking good. :)
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

I could not beat your $100.00 one, but you had more labor into building yours.. Chuck etc.. :lol: I used as much as I had laying around, so it kept the cost down somewhat.. Beats the lower priced gearbox things sold, because of way less backlash with a belt or chain drive.. I am going to look for a deal on a quality low-arc planetary drive for a 23 or 34 motors, just to help with the resolution on larger pipe.. Not needed yet.. That and some pipe guides for the full 10 feet.
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

Pretty clever setup. One of these days (if I ever get some spare time) I'm going to get busy and set up such a system. Until them I guess I'll continue to read you guys posts for ideas.

Later, Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

WyoGreen wrote:Pretty clever setup. One of these days (if I ever get some spare time) I'm going to get busy and set up such a system. Until them I guess I'll continue to read you guys posts for ideas.

Later, Steve
Looks like your table has all the right stuff on it to make it happen. I used the THC, so I did not have to worry all that much about if the pipe laid in there perfectly along the Y axis.. I did not want run-out of course, but the THC worked perfect, and took up any height issues..3100 THC like Tom's, and works just like yours..

I was thinking a little L bracket off of the torch slide plate, and I could bevel pipe too.. Something for today...
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by exapprentice »

Hi Brand X

Good job, nice work, looking forward to seeing the results of cutting "sq stock" on your set up.
My rotary build has gone on the back burner while I try and sort a powder coat oven out (hopefully to save some $ from sending it out :evil: )

As soon as I sort the oven project I will be back on the 4 axis rotary build, cant wait to get it going and do a write up like yours.

My problem is I can only spend a $ once, its just what to spend it once on is the problem :( oh and trying to keep customers happy :lol:
Best Regards to all
Exapprentice :D
(Pete)
10'x5' DIY table / PM 45XP + M/C Torch - Trying to add 4 axis Tube cutting :(
Linux/CommandCandCNC MP3600 / PN200 / DCP-01 / PWM
Solid Edge, Inkscape, SheetCam, Scananything & Andonstar USB Microscope
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Main reason I just winged it, was talking to my friend with his rotary . He got it cheap from Precision Plasma when he built his table. Good for welding, and doing other things, but not so hot for Plasma.. It's got a good ratio's of 25 to one, but backlash sucks. A quality planetary gearbox is where I would start my build around. I can add later, but first I will need a real reason to do so. Big pipe, it's important. (IMO) One thing I set in motor tuning is not to run as much speed as the Y axis. On rapids I don't want it spinning as fast as it does. If I am cutting at a certain ipm. no reason to rotate the pipe full bore on moves in mach.

I cut my driveshaft up from when I added another motor, and just used the parts for the box. I knew it was good shafting, because I upgraded it along the way.. (4140) It already had the area for the pulley turned down, so I did not have to deal with it..
steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by steel 35 »

Brand X wrote: He got it cheap from Precision Plasma when he built his table. Good for welding, and doing other things, but not so hot for Plasma.. It's got a good ratio's of 25 to one, but backlash sucks.
Wish mine was Cheap :lol:

My way of marking your post so I can find it again.
PPL HDG 4X8
Hyp 65 duramax's
C&CNC 620-5 Ethernet
Inkscape, Solid Edge, Sheetcam, Autocad 2K
Corel X7 Student NO DXF!
EasyScriber
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

steel 35 wrote:
Brand X wrote: He got it cheap from Precision Plasma when he built his table. Good for welding, and doing other things, but not so hot for Plasma.. It's got a good ratio's of 25 to one, but backlash sucks.
Wish mine was Cheap :lol:

My way of marking your post so I can find it again.

I asked my Friend Jimmie how much he paid for his rotary, and he said about $200.00 I think Ron gave him a deal.. 8-)

https://youtu.be/GVuLRnOouAU
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

My way of marking your post so I can find it again
Steel35 you can mark posts on the bottom left next to the POST REPLY button there is a wrench, click the arrow and either subscribe or bookmark the topic. You can find them again from your profile page.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by exapprentice »

Hi Brand X

Just a quick question /s on your rotary build,
what ratio are you running on your drive :?:
Did you run it up to find out what max rpm you could get :?: :?:
Best Regards to all
Exapprentice :D
(Pete)
10'x5' DIY table / PM 45XP + M/C Torch - Trying to add 4 axis Tube cutting :(
Linux/CommandCandCNC MP3600 / PN200 / DCP-01 / PWM
Solid Edge, Inkscape, SheetCam, Scananything & Andonstar USB Microscope
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

I only have a 4.5 ratio right now. so it looks like it will outrun my 120 amps on 28 ga by far. Theoretical top speed on a 3 inch pipe is 71 ipm @ 100-1ratio example.. Reason I am at this point is, pulley teeth engaged is within correct limits for the XL setups. I could get it down to about 6to1 with a small pulley change, but that is starting to push it. I did measured my slots and holes cut in the 4.5 inch test pipe,and it's about as good as it gets cutting flat.. Until it shows up at as a issue, then I an not going to worry about it too much..If I added a face plate for larger then the 6 inch chuck, I will be looking for a 23/34 low arc minute planetary box .Probably right angle for ease of setup..
steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by steel 35 »

Brand X wrote:
I asked my Friend Jimmie how much he paid for his rotary, and he said about $200.00 I think Ron gave him a deal.. 8-)

2.5X s
tnbndr wrote:
Steel35 you can mark posts on the bottom left next to the POST REPLY button there is a wrench, click the arrow and either subscribe or bookmark the topic. You can find them again from your profile page.
Thanks you.
PPL HDG 4X8
Hyp 65 duramax's
C&CNC 620-5 Ethernet
Corel X7 Student NO DXF!
EasyScriber
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

steel 35 wrote:
Brand X wrote:

2.5X s
tnbndr wrote:
Thanks you.
I asked him, and told him I thought it was $500.00 corrected me, and said $200.00 either way, Decided to build one to keep the slop down.. Gearing will be changed as when needed, or if a deal shows up. I am going to work on more rollers now.. Main thing, I can could round in the size I need now, but need to expand the rollers to 10 ft...
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

good diy job :D
i have that same harbor fright chuck on my wood lathe, a little scary turning that thing fast

fyi for others interested... i saw these 4th axis rotary heads on ebay for less than $200
includes a 3'' chuck for small stuff
this one is $185, search 4th axis rotary on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-F-Style-A-A ... Swl8NVXF4S

bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

That is a very good reason to limit the rapid speed to only above what your cutting speed is.. since you are putting in your motor info into mach, it's not that big of deal.. Probably turn 6-8 rpm on larger pipe,Depending on amps, so not too bad really. You will still have to buy a motor with that setup. Unless you want to change your Gecko resistor each time you swap out your cable.. Unless you have a separate drive for it..

I am guessing I cut this test piece out at 3 rpm. . Perfect speed too.
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Brand X wrote:That is a very good reason to limit the rapid speed to only just above what your cutting speed is.. since you are putting in your motor info into mach, it's not that big of deal.. Probably turn 6-8 rpm on larger pipe,Depending on amps, so not too bad really. You will still have to buy a motor with that setup. Unless you want to change your Gecko resistor each time you swap out your cable.. Unless you have a separate drive for it..

I am guessing I cut this test piece out at 3 rpm. . Perfect speed too.
double post..
steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by steel 35 »

Brand X wrote: I asked him, and told him I thought it was $500.00
Mine was!
Thanks for the Video.
look's like the one Orge posted has the stepper with it :roll:
PPL HDG 4X8
Hyp 65 duramax's
C&CNC 620-5 Ethernet
Corel X7 Student NO DXF!
EasyScriber
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Correct has a stepper motor, but what motor resistor you going to run with it? Chances are it's not matched to your drive. So if you unplug your 7 amp motor, and plug in a 3 amp, is it going to be happy? Might as well go with a 5 inch model anyway. If your worried about the pipe falling out of a wood chuck, look at Tom/s answer to hold downs. You could tig weld some extensions/ bolt holders on the two of the four jaws.. I figured the wood chuck wood make a good face plate if you wanted//needed more size,etc,,
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

one more feature...

Post by Brand X »

this...

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by steel 35 »

OH MY. :D
PPL HDG 4X8
Hyp 65 duramax's
C&CNC 620-5 Ethernet
Corel X7 Student NO DXF!
EasyScriber
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

Wonder how I can get this to work on my table
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

gamble wrote:Wonder how I can get this to work on my table
It could work just fine, but do you have enough z clearance ? I have about 3 feet if needed.. :lol:
Loyd
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Loyd »

How would one install this on a PlasmaCam?
Loyd
De inimico non loquaris sed cogites
Do not wish ill upon your enemies, plan it.

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”