Quincy 325 oroject

All topics related to compressed air supply.
762frmafr
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Quincy 325 oroject

Post by 762frmafr »

In my search for an air compressor, I found this Quincy 80 gallon 325 sitting behind a neighbor's barn. It is full pressure lubricated with an 80 gallon tank. Needs a motor obviously. Plan is for a Baldor l1430t. Pump turns over great and makes the "compressor noise" so I'm thinking it's gonna be ok. I also put my hand over the intake and turned it over and it does create suction. Along with motor, I plan to get a new belt new Solberg filter and new pressure switch. Hope to have it running soon. Anyone with experience with these compressors please chime in.
20140718_133144.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Quincy 325 oroject

Post by acourtjester »

I had one many years ago If I remember right Quincy compressors were the only ones you could re-bore the cylinders when rebuilding it.
Looks like a great find.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
762frmafr
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by 762frmafr »

Today I drained the oil, which looked like new, and pulled the filter off. I decided to also pull of the inspection cover on the side of the pump. Just to give me a little more piece of mind as to the condition of the pump. As far as I can tell, everything is tight and how it should be. No excessive play on either end of the rods. No excessive rust in the crank case. I will be ordering all the electrical parts next week some time.
762frmafr
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by 762frmafr »

Well the compressor is up and running. It has been supplying air to my cnc plasma table for the last 4 days. I ended up with a Dayton 5hp farm duty motor... a new belt... a new motor pulley... a new 175 psi pressure switch... installed an hour meter.... made a mount for the air to air aftercooler. .. plumbed that all in... new solberg filter/silencer... and changed the oil and filter. Once I had it running for the first time, I found that the high pressure discharge valve was leaking. So I went ahead and rebuilt all 4 valves and unloader tower. I also rebuilt the hydraulic unloader and replaced the unloader piston. Fired it up again and it holds air like a champ. It takes 15 minutes from completely empty to 175psi for 200 gallons of air. I have less in the whole project than I would have on a sub par IR compressor retail. And WAY less than a new Quincy with QR25 pump. So on to the pics.
762frmafr
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by 762frmafr »

20140730_062732.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

762frmafr wrote:Image
While saving valuable floor space, I would have though that hanging your compressor from the ceiling like that would cause excessive upper cylinder lubrication and even made the crankshaft run too dry. :lol: :lol: :lol:
762frmafr
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by 762frmafr »

Pressure lubrication. .. ;-) Posted the pic from my phone. It does stupid stuff sometimes.
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

You must have an iPhone... I have one and it likes to flip images upside down:)

Great find on the 325. I know if I had one it would be a prized possession, sort of like my Gibson Les Paul.
A Quincy compressor with an oil pump should be with you for the rest of your life.
Had I not been in a hurry I'd have tried to find a used one I could buy... they're not easy to find used.
Good score.
762frmafr
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by 762frmafr »

Metriccar wrote:You must have an iPhone... I have one and it likes to flip images upside down:)

Great find on the 325. I know if I had one it would be a prized possession, sort of like my Gibson Les Paul.
A Quincy compressor with an oil pump should be with you for the rest of your life.
Had I not been in a hurry I'd have tried to find a used one I could buy... they're not easy to find used.
Good score.
No they are not. And wouldn't you know, this one was behind a neighbor's barn that I drive past everyday going to my shop. I just happened to stop by there for something completely different and saw this one.
Diesel
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Diesel »

EXCELLENT find!

Attached is a video of my pride and joy. I found it on Craigslist and went through it soup to nuts. They're built like a brick outhouse, but some of the parts can be a little spendy compared to other industrial brands (IR, Champion for example).

My generation 325 pump uses the older style valves. While the valves are 100% rebuildable, the head on these older units is more susceptible to corrosion due to its architecture. One easy solution is to run it hard and burn off the moisture. I never just fire mine off for a quick project - I always run it at least 15 or so minutes to get it good and hot.

Your pump is definitely a newer ROC (Record Of Change) - so you won't likely have any issues with valve/head corrosion.
Someday I'd love to upgrade to your style bearing housing with the spin-on oil filter - all I have is a screen in mine, but it's still full pressure lubricated with drilled conrods. 8-)

http://youtu.be/ZpFPUWdqOzg

Good luck with it and be sure to put it in your will! :D

Regards,

Matt
Custom LDR Motion Systems 5x10 table w/ rotary axis and scribe
Hypertherm Powermax85
Quincy 325 compressor
Ingersoll Rand D18IN refrigerated air dryer
Millermatic 251 MIG
Everlast PowerPro 256 TIG/stick/plasma w/ water cooler

Return to “Air Dryers, Air Filters, Air Compressors, Etc.”