DIY Breakaway torch mount

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

DIY Breakaway torch mount

Post by SeanP »

Thought I would share this, it's fairly easy to make and works very well.
P1030374.JPG
P1030376.JPG
P1030377.JPG
Start off with a pair of these, they are perfect size for powermax 45, not sure what size others use, they are 35mm dia.
35mm.jpg
I cut one down to 60mm long and the other a metal thickness more at 65mm as I used 5mm for the brackets.
P1030411.JPG
I haven't included a dxf for the magnet mount as it's only a bit of 3mm welded on to suit the magnet/s, I used a old hard drive magnet, which I reckon is a perfect size, if you can't find one of those, there are plenty on ebay of various sizes, I would say 2 x 3/4'' dia should be about right, just bond them on with stixall or tiger seal.
P1030413.JPG
I have allowed for the holes to be drilled on the dxf, I used 8mm bearings, Just slice open a old bearing, see knew they would come in :lol:
Where the bearing is bonded in I just countersunk until the bearing was half way in, then super glued.
P1030415.JPG
The holes in the back plate where the ball bearings locate into I drilled 7.5mm, which gave about a mm gap when located, same with the magnet don't have it touching the back plate aim for a 1mm gap, in case any junk gathers on the magnet.
P1030380.JPG
That's about it really, having the lower mount separate really helps keeping the three points perfectly aligned.
You can get sideways adjustment on the mounting screws, but the other way depends on accurate cutting of the ally mounts, it's not that hard and could be tweaked with a shim if it's a bit out.

The dxf includes a plate with 2 holes I used as a drilling template for the upper mount.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: DIY Breakaway torch mount

Post by acourtjester »

thanks for posting the mount.

have fun
Tom
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
acourtjester

Re: DIY Breakaway torch mount

Post by acourtjester »

Here is one I completed today I use all aluminum plates and a steel washer and rare earth magnet that were 1" diameter.
3 ball bearings that were 3/8" diameter I clamped the aluminum plate together and use a 1/4" end mill to start the holes. Finished with a 3/8" ball nose mill. Milled a pocket for the washer and the magnet and epoxied them in the aluminum.
I still need to move the floating head switch so if the torch breaks off it will shut the movements off.
DSCN2133.JPG
DSCN2137.JPG
DSCN2136.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”