Sell on Etsy?

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
VSAW
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: Sell on Etsy?

Post by VSAW »

Paypal and credit cards were started in about June of 2012. I set up my shop in Feb 2012 and got my first sale (two items listed) in May, and at the time I did not accept paypal and they did not take credit cards through Etsy. After they started the sales jumped up quickly. In the forums on Etsy that is the biggest complaint. People start a shop and expect sales right away. For some reason it does not go that way. You have to build up sales. The higher sale number you have the more likely people are to buy from you.

but at 20 cents a listing it certainly doesn't hurt to put some pieces up, the more the better and just let them sit on there. Hell almost all of my listings are made to order items. Customers choose the stain and pipe style they want and order it. So I have almost no items sitting and waiting on them to sell. Just sold a coffee table made from some legs a customer sent back. I made them with the wrong plate to fit their narrow bench. I sold the table within a week.

I think if I were cutting items like you guys to sell I might just make about ten items of different things and post them. I don't think you get an accurate taste of Etsy with just one or two items listed. The items will sell eventually and then just make more to replace them.
VSAW
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by VSAW »

I was hesitant to make anything at first. I was making custom parts for cars and trucks. Mostly control arms, watts links, 4 links and cross members. My buddy showed me how well the industrial looking furniture was selling. At the time I needed a change. I made two coffee tables, and then one dining table and then one clothing rack. I put them on Etsy and went right on making parts. The clothing rack was the first thing to sell in May. Got one more sale before they started with the credit cards in June then it blew up. I quit taking orders for parts and finished them all up.

By the way I do have lots of drawings for tabs, watts link center cranks etc.

Oh one more thing, there are forums on there and groups and there probably is a group for guys cutting the same stuff. They might offer more info on it. Right now stuff made of steel and stuff that looks old sell really well. Anything industrial looking etc.
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

I have one item on there currently. Yes they were taking Paypal when I listed.
I also had metal cutouts for $3 I thought would have been grabbed by crafters , etc.
I will keep trying, I like the venue, it is basically the same as eBay.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/124038725/ ... spider-web
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
VSAW
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by VSAW »

tnbndr wrote:I have one item on there currently. Yes they were taking Paypal when I listed.
I also had metal cutouts for $3 I thought would have been grabbed by crafters , etc.
I will keep trying, I like the venue, it is basically the same as eBay.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/124038725/ ... spider-web
No matter how good a product or deal it is you will probably never sell it if it is the only listing on Etsy. You really need to add more items.
COLT
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by COLT »

I have been thinking of starting on etsy. I have a couple questions. What about shipping and shipping costs?
VSAW
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by VSAW »

COLT wrote:I have been thinking of starting on etsy. I have a couple questions. What about shipping and shipping costs?
There is a way to use usps on there and make the label through the site. You can also set the shipping at whatever you want. I personally use UPS ground for everything. But then most of my items are heavy, about 50lbs and in large boxes like 57"x17"x6"

Shipping is easy on there. Ask me anything about it. I ship at least two packages a day.

Here is a link to my Etsy shop so you can take a look: https://www.etsy.com/shop/Vintagesteela ... ef=si_shop
TammyVB
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by TammyVB »

VSAW:

Thank you for the information about selling on Etsy. I agree with you 100%.

And, if you have tried selling on Etsy and were unsuccessful it may have more to do with the product you are selling, the quality of your listings, etc. There are many factors that come in to play when creating a great listing, including a clear and concise description, shop policy, shipping schedule, costs and methods, as well as amazing pictures. You have to be able to convey value in your product and trustworthiness as a seller within your listing. Telling your story and your product story goes along way on Etsy, too. All of these things add perceived value to your product and translate into more sales.
michmetalman
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by michmetalman »

The problem is, most people think you can just make a product , put it on Etsy or Ebay, sit back and the sales will come. WRONG!!! There are thousands of metal art products out there, so you have to be creative and make a unique product.
Personally, I like Facebook because I can generate a ton of sales almost anytime I want, since I have well over 20,000 fans. Bottom line...whatever you do, and wherever you decide to sell will take a TON of work if you want to make it happen. Making the item is only a TINY part in becoming successful. Your product has to be high quality, and you HAVE to put in 110% in marketing your product. I can't tell you how many hours I have put into getting my things out there. If you have a quality...unique product and can put in 110%...You may be ok because that puts you in an elite group. 80% of the people think just making a product is fine, and forget about the rest!
MARKET YOUR PRODUCT, build a client base, and they will come!! Once you establish a customer base, you need to keep them, and have them spread the word of your products. KEEP AT IT!! Growing a business is like a baby, it needs constant attention and you will need to work on little sleep until it gets bigger, but still you can never stop. This is what separates the "wannabes" from the "gonnabes"
You can have the best product in the world, but if you don't put in the time and effort....forget about it.
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

michmetalman wrote:The problem is, most people think you can just make a product , put it on Etsy or Ebay, sit back and the sales will come. WRONG!!! There are thousands of metal art products out there, so you have to be creative and make a unique product.
Personally, I like Facebook because I can generate a ton of sales almost anytime I want, since I have well over 20,000 fans. Bottom line...whatever you do, and wherever you decide to sell will take a TON of work if you want to make it happen. Making the item is only a TINY part in becoming successful. Your product has to be high quality, and you HAVE to put in 110% in marketing your product. I can't tell you how many hours I have put into getting my things out there. If you have a quality...unique product and can put in 110%...You may be ok because that puts you in an elite group. 80% of the people think just making a product is fine, and forget about the rest!
MARKET YOUR PRODUCT, build a client base, and they will come!! Once you establish a customer base, you need to keep them, and have them spread the word of your products. KEEP AT IT!! Growing a business is like a baby, it needs constant attention and you will need to work on little sleep until it gets bigger, but still you can never stop. This is what separates the "wannabes" from the "gonnabes"
You can have the best product in the world, but if you don't put in the time and effort....forget about it.
I was asking for help on an engineering forum where a great deal of the members are owners of engineering shops. One of them said a summarised version of what you said:

"Making things is easy. Finding out to who, and how you will sell those things is the hard part, the very hard part".

Pretty much any book I have read on business echoes your words too. They always stress the magnitude of the importance of the marketing side of things.

When we think about it, some companies manage to sell crap for a good price and in good quantity, while others that have great products struggle even if the price is OK. What's the difference, probably the sales & marketing.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”