Is Ebay primarilly price shoppers

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Is Ebay primarilly price shoppers

Post by beefy »

Been doing a little researching on Ebay yesterday and so far it's not very promising. I don't know if it's any different here in Australia to what it is in the US.

Firepits for example, lots of them for sale at prices we would general expect to get but hardly any actual sales at those prices. The selling seems to get bigger when the price gets to a quarter of what we'd expect (based on the pricing threads I've read here). A used chiminea had quite a lot of bids and went for around $100

I heard someone was doing OK with garden stakes but again next to nothing in actual sales here in Australia.

Screens was the same, not many actual sales overall, but lots of listings.

I'm wondering if the mobs advertising their products there are doing so just to pick up an odd sale or two, it looks rather dead end to me.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
Redneck
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Is Ebay primarilly price shoppers

Post by Redneck »

We have all but quit using Ebay.....too few sales....too high fees. We've found Etsy to be much better.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/IowaMetalArt?ref=shop_sugg
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Thanks Redneck,

yeah I've been reading up on the fees and seems like you need to stick another 15% on your normal selling price just to cover their fees (including Paypal). That wouldn't even matter IF the goods would move at the upped price. The guys using Ebay to make their living say you will sell your goods much faster on Ebay even with 15% added on, but at least with what we sell that doesn't seem to be the case.

Not sure how the listing charges work but I THINK you get so many for free and then pay for them over a certain quantity. We could have lots of items listed, potentially hundreds, so Ebay might cost even if you sell nothing.

I'm slowly hearing about Etsy, I'll have to look into it. Hopefully it's gaining some ground here in Australia.

Cheers,

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Coreldraw 2019
michmetalman
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by michmetalman »

Almost impossible to make money on Ebay in metal art unless you have a nice market, and can get people to start noticing and buying. Too oversaturated, and too much cheap crap.
Larry83301
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Larry83301 »

michmetalman wrote:Almost impossible to make money on Ebay in metal art unless you have a nice market, and can get people to start noticing and buying. Too oversaturated, and too much cheap crap.
Try looking for local FACEBOOK pages listing stuff for sale like this [ Stuff For Sale in Melbourne Australia ] That is one page from down under, there are many more. This is catching on all over. Try it in your area. :D

Larry
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Thanks for that Larry,

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Coreldraw 2019
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

It's next to impossible to sell metal art at a profit on eBay. You'd have just as much luck selling genuine Rolex watches at a flea market.
wilber
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by wilber »

it all depends. If it was a drop and you make something out of it just to make a little bit then yes you can make money. But if you have to buy outright then not as much. All depends on how much your time is work and the cost of your shop time.

Just my 2 cents,

Wilber
*** DynaTorch Super B 4x8 with a Hypertherm Powermax 65****

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”