Pricing out plasma table cutting

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Pricing out plasma table cutting

Post by tnbndr »

KIDtech:
What program are you setting that up in? Access, Excel??
Interesting.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
KIDTech
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by KIDTech »

I have been using Excel with it all written in VBA. I will eventually migrate it over to a stand alone VB.Net app. when I get Visual Studio loaded back onto a computer in the future.
KIDTech
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by KIDTech »

I wanted to make something that I can teach people to use working for me that is a lot easier and harder to mess up than an actual spreadsheet. The vulnerability of a spreadsheet is just to much risk with pertinent data even for the best sometimes. Depending on who logs in it has different security levels. Say I log in, I have access to every single thing in the workbook but if my wife logs in she can only see the numbers, inventory and the ability to reprint invoices. Now if another employee logs in that cuts/welds they can run the pricing tool, take things out of stock, etc....
storiesnsteel
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by storiesnsteel »

AnotherDano wrote:With obnoxious customers, I asked them if they would be willing to tag along through the steps it would take to finish their piece.

I've never really done this but it sure is tempting!

We would start by filling up the gas tank.
Then we would take the 65 mile drive to Ft. Collins, Co to buy a full 4x10' sheet of steel and drive back to the gas station to replace the gas used on the trip. They go glassy-eyed about this point. But Wait! There's more!

We'll unload the steel and muscle it onto the table, spend time on the computer making the cut-file and then fire up the compressor and make the cut. Then grind off the dross.

Next comes the powder coating - sorry, I don't stock the color you want. I'll order a pound of it. That will take three days to deliver. I buy it by the pound at $9.00~22.00/pound. Don't forget the shipping.

Come back this weekend and we'll continue. Their eyes are really glazed by now.
I spray each piece with alcohol to get rid of oils and other contaminants. DA costs $16.00/gallon and I use a lot of it making sure there are no 'breaks' in the flow.
We'll prepare the PC equipment, load the powder and start the oven. See that elec. meter over there? Watch it start spinning.

When I open my shop, I figure it costs about $25.00 just to turn on the lights, computer, compressor and other stuff. In the winter, add the cost of heating.

And you thing I'm gonna do all that for your $30.00 sign?
excellent my friend I get that crap all the time they think your there for just the pleasure of working for nothing lol
Greg From Storiesnsteel
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

Nice software. I want something like that. Something to do invoicing, keep track of costs, inventory etc. Without spending a fortune like quick books.
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
GooseCreekGator
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by GooseCreekGator »

I would love for there to be a decent APP for that.
dustywill
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by dustywill »

gamble wrote:Nice software. I want something like that. Something to do invoicing, keep track of costs, inventory etc. Without spending a fortune like quick books.
I use quickbooks online. It doesn't do the pricing or inventory, but is GREAT for the bookkeeping and tax end of it. I'm a one man shop and can tell you what I have on hand at any given time from memory. I don't need payroll or inventory yet. The online version gets spendy when you add those things. Now i'm at about $12/month. Online payments go right intot the accounting software and the bank. NO data entry for me.
Precision Plasma 4x8 v-rail
C&CNC dragon cut 620
Hypertherm Powermax 45
Auburn, AL
www.facebook.com/decorativemetalworks
KIDTech
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by KIDTech »

I would be willing to help out, VBA is a pretty easy language to wrap your head around and with a little practice a person can make a really handy tool. Quickbooks and other programs are great but for me I like the ability to have a fully custom to my way of working app.
DIY 5x10 v rail, rack and pinion
Gecko g540
Pm65 - aka game changer
Longevity ForceCut 42i is sitting on the shelf
Proma THC
ACAD, SheetCam, Mach3
Millermatic 211
NEW HORSE IN THE STABLE:
4'x8' LDR downdraft w/a scribe
Milltronics Partner 2 CNC mill

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”