Easier Dross Removal

Share tips and tricks regarding cut cutting, material handling, metal finishing, marketing, or anything you find helpful.
Bigdogbro1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Easier Dross Removal

Post by Bigdogbro1 »

Hi All,

I have been searching for an easy method of dross removal. We normally cut 16ga CRS and get a small amount of dross on the backside due to several reasons. We are improving the system to reduce the dross and have been able to just chip it off using a small blade about 5" long x 3/4" wide. This method has worked fine but on larger cut pieces the effort and stress on the arm gets tiring.

So recently I decided to find an easier way (at least in my opinion) to remove the dross. Many posts I have read talk about the Harbor Freight air scraper http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/ ... 95826.html. This would seem to do the job but I wanted something similar weight, smaller, quieter and less expensive. So I checked out the specs on the Harbor Freight air filer http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/ ... -1704.html. This file runs at 3700 strokes/min (similar to the scraper) with about a 1/4" stroke and met all my other requirements. I currently just use the 1/2" wide file that came with the tool but expect to make a wider scraper tool for it. Using the BEVELED END FACE 1/2" file works very good for me. Now the file does the work instead of my elbow and wrist. With a larger custom made scraper my dross removal time will decrease even further.

I thought I would pass along my experience and offer a possible answer for those looking to reduce the labor burden.
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Easier Dross Removal

Post by gamble »

Soak it in muratic acid and it literally falls off
Or an air hammer works too
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

I love muriatic acid. It also takes off the mill scale too.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

Those cupped wire brushes the ones with twisted strands work really well at whipping the dross off, also takes off the sharp edges well to.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

SeanP wrote:Those cupped wire brushes the ones with twisted strands work really well at whipping the dross off, also takes off the sharp edges well to.
I hate those, after a few pieces of stainless wire sticking out of my skin..no thanks.
Acid then flap dics. Why? Because if you wack a finger with a flap disc it's much better than a wire cup or a grinding disc.
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
Bigdogbro1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bigdogbro1 »

Could those of you who use muratic acid please give us some insight regarding the safe usage and the method of storing or using it in a tub or something.

We don't use it currently due to the usage problems and rinse and drying area needed.

Thanks
illusivedf
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by illusivedf »

Knotted wire wheel cup on a grinder works great, been using them for 9 years that way. They almost never come apart, just wear down slowly. it also leaves a nice smooth finish if you just whip over the part real quick after knocking the dross off
Owner at Illusive Design & Fabrications
http://www.illusivefabrications.com
Air Ride Suspension Parts
Metal Fabrication
Dynatorch 4x8 with Hypertherm 1250
Vinyl Decals & Signs
Powder Coating
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

Bigdogbro1 wrote:Could those of you who use muratic acid please give us some insight regarding the safe usage and the method of storing or using it in a tub or something.

We don't use it currently due to the usage problems and rinse and drying area needed.

Thanks
I got away from the muriatic acid and use vinegar instead, much safer and easier to use. I buy it in bulk from a pickling plant in town. He sells it to me in 4 gallon buckets they bet their eggs in for $1.75/gal. I buy 32 gallons at a time and store it in a blue plastic barrel on a 4 wheel cart with a hand pump. I buy plastic trays at the pet department of Fleet Farm made for the bottom of rabbit pens or dog kennels in different sizes. I put my parts in the tray setting on the edges of my fiberglass wash tub and wheel over the vinegar barrel and pump in enough to cover the items. Usually overnight works wonders. I then just work one corner of the tray over the washtub and tip it down and let the vinegar drain out and down the drain.
Hope this helps.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

Bigdogbro1 wrote:Could those of you who use muratic acid please give us some insight regarding the safe usage and the method of storing or using it in a tub or something.

Thanks
Don't use it straight. I use it VERY much diluted and there is no nasty smell or smoke coming out of it. I keep it in a tub outside with a lid. When I'm ready I use a pair of pliers to pull it out and have a 5 gallon bucket of water sitting there. Rinse it, flip it, rinse it then start grinding.
I tried vinegar once and had no luck. Maybe I had the wrong stuff, but I also can't stand the smell of that.
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
kbenz
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by kbenz »

Don't use the cheap wire cups (like HF) They sling a lot of wire. Get a good one
CandCNC
Mach3
Sheetcam
Draftsight
Hypertherm 65 machine torch
Millermatic 210
Passport plus
Spoolmate 150
Miller Bobcat 225
http://benzweldingandfabrication.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Benz-Wel ... 468?ref=hl
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

I bought a plastic tub (with lid) from the megamart that is made to roll under a bed for storing things. I keep the acid in it and when soaking or not in use it rolls under a low shelf of a workbench where it's safe from harm and kiddo tampering.
gamble wrote: I tried vinegar once and had no luck. Maybe I had the wrong stuff, but I also can't stand the smell of that.
Ha! I've not tried vinegar but maybe I shouldn't..... It'd make me hungry, want to slice some cucumbers and onions and throw them in to soak too! YUM!

OK, not cool - i'm headed to the kitchen to make a batch.... :D
james.davis
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by james.davis »

I have 2 - 2ft by 4ft mud pans from Home depot 1 has acid the other water and I add some baking soda to it just before I put the pieces in. I let them sit in there for about 10min. then rinse them off with a hose after they're rinsed I dry them off with a torch so they don't flash rust.It works for me :) ( I let them soak over night in the acid that removes all the dross)
Jim
I've used viniger before it takes longer and loses it's power real fast
larrycameron44
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by larrycameron44 »

I use Sodium Bilsulphate 25kg bag has lasted 1 1/2 years now.

Fill large plastic container with water ( mine is 25 gallon) add 1 kg of Sodium Bilsulphate crystals and depending on strength you need works in as little as 4 hours or soak overnight. Removes all dross from my 16 gauge without scraping nothing!
When the mixture stars to weaken, just add more crystals/powder.
Is is also commonly know as pH Decrease as a pool chemical. So you can get it at chemical or swimming pool shops.

Larry
NZ
Bobcat320

Post by Bobcat320 »

james.davis wrote:I have 2 - 2ft by 4ft mud pans from Home depot 1 has acid the other water and I add some baking soda to it just before I put the pieces in. I let them sit in there for about 10min. then rinse them off with a hose after they're rinsed I dry them off with a torch so they don't flash rust.It works for me :) ( I let them soak over night in the acid that removes all the dross)
Jim
I've used viniger before it takes longer and loses it's power real fast
Jim, when you say "mud Pans" are they like a shower pan? Or what part of Home Depot do I find them in?
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hyperthem PM65
Edwards 25T Ironworker
Miller Mig, Tig, Stick & Portable

Why pierce it when you can punch it!
james.davis
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by james.davis »

It's a pan you mix mortar for bricks in .(they're located in lumber).
Jim
Bobcat320

Post by Bobcat320 »

Ha! Now I feel stupid!
Thanks!
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hyperthem PM65
Edwards 25T Ironworker

james.davis
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by james.davis »

I just have them sitting outside with boards over the top of them you want to keep it away from kids an animals .Once you've tried it you won't use anything else, leave it over night but after rinsing make sure you dry it off with a torch so it won't flash rust.
good luck
Jim
Bobcat320

Post by Bobcat320 »

I have been using it, and you are right it is the easiest, best way yet. Like some of the others I just haven't been able to find a big enough container for some of the pieces I am cutting/making. your solution will work perfect.
Thanks again!
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hyperthem PM65
Edwards 25T Ironworker

james.davis
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by james.davis »

No problem glad I could help.
Jim
Bigdogbro1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bigdogbro1 »

Can you use the acid clean process on 304 stainless steel. I have had my last project come out a bit rough. What does the surface finish look like after the acid clean on steel and SS.
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

No it doesn't work on stainless steel.
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
MountainRef
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by MountainRef »

Like tnbndr, I use vinegar. Muratic acid is wicked stuff and not a pleasure. Soak over night and the milling rinses right off. Easy finish with a sanding disc.
4 x 8 homemade table w/water table
Hypertherm 45
301D THC
Mach 3
Sheet Cam
tcmetal
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by tcmetal »

What type of vinegar? white vinegar?
Craig
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Craig »

I have used Kiln wash for a few years now and will coat the entire underside of sheets of metal that are prone to dross. You wont find a cheaper method and its safe to use in liquid form. And because it creates a high temp coating the dross has nothing to stick to and it works on all metals.
I also use it when MIG welding to keep splatter off threads and other areas I want to keep clean. Check out the link below.

http://plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f ... ash#p54269
Craig Johnson

Return to “Tech Tips From Other Members”