dxf fonts

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Rileyj
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

dxf fonts

Post by Rileyj »

Where is the best place to buy dxf ready to cut font?
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: dxf fonts

Post by tcaudle »

An entire "font"? There is no such thing as DXF font files. Each letter would have to be a separate DXF file. You could not bring them in to a drawing and type in the letters or have it place a line of text with proper letter to letter (kerning) spacing. You could not move the whole line or resize it using the typical size metrics for a Font: Point.

You need to use a drawing program that will let you load normal Windows or Adobe fonts . A "Font" is actually a collection of vector shapes that has embedded info about the kerning, font family , and lets you operate on a whole line . The export DXF has NO provision for Font info so they have to be converted to just a group of vector objects.

You can get script fonts but If your gaol is to have something like a monogram with very cursive type letters then they are typically individual letters . While there are some in DXF format letters , there are lots more in more standard vector formats like AI . EPS or CDR.

If your drawing program won't use Windows Fonts or import other vector formats besides DXF then your ability to do decorative cutting will be severely hampered.
RobinHillMachine
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by RobinHillMachine »

Download them for free on dafont.com and convert to curves once you type out your text. They have a big stencil section if you need reverse cut ones.
Julie's the name, DXF is the game. http://robinhillmachine.com
Email DXF@robinhillmachine.com
jason.jason.p
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by jason.jason.p »

I use a program many of you are probably already familiar with called DeskEngrave. It's free and easy to use, it uses fonts already installed on your computer and exports them in dxf or gcode. I do all my drawing in CAD so not sure how or if this will work with the folks primarily using SVGs. Additional fonts are easily downloaded and installed from dafont.com . Thais program makes it really easy for me to put words on a radius and quickly switch between different fonts with a preview window so I can pick which font looks better for a project.

http://www.deskam.com/deskengrave.html

There is also a program called stickfont which I've used on rare occasion to make open line fonts.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”