Help with Text

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
squareonemachine
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Help with Text

Post by squareonemachine »

I am having issues with my text not staying complete on my sign. The center is falling out like on the O's and etc. I have attached the file that I am working with. I need to make the sign at about 18" long. Do I need to change to a different font or what? I am new with the plasma cutter, so any help with the file is much appreciated.
SWCDA 4th Place Open.dxf

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Help with Text

Post by acourtjester »

What program did you use to make you sign The letters you talk about need bridges placed in them to hold the center in when cutting. See the attached image to see what I am talking about. I did this with inkscape and after you type the letter you place the blue line where the bridge needs to be and under path click on difference to make the letter in the lower part of the image.

have fun
tom

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
squareonemachine
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Thanks for the information. I used Inkscape to do this.Can you tell me how to place the bridges in the letters? I am not certain on how that is done. Like I said, I am new with the plasmacutter and Inkscape. Thanks again.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Sure it is easy once you see it done (I?m not that smart arclight video helped me). When in Inkscape select your font and type out what you want. Some fonts are better because of their shape. Then click on the square tool and draw a thin box I then copy it a few time so they are all the same size. Click on the arrow select tool and click on the box and move it over the letter you what to put a bridge in. After you release the box and it still has the arrows around it hold down the shift key and click on the letter. The group of letters will have arrows around it now. Click on the path tab and go down to difference and click on it you will then see the letter has the box shape cut out of it. Do only one letter at a time that is why I copy the bridge box when starting this you can just grab a copy and do the next letter. After you have all the bridges in place click on the group of letter to get the arrows around them. Down in the lower left you will see the fill box in black click on it this will open the fill and stroke menu in the upper right. Click on the stoke paint and select a color now click on the fill tab and click on the X for no paint. This will give you just the stroke outline and show you what the cut path will look like. Now save it in svg to import into SheetCam if you use DXF inkscape puts some extra stuff in the letters.

Have fun
Tom
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
squareonemachine
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Thanks for the help. What is the best fonts to use?
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

hard to say do remember you can slant the blue box if you like that may work better for script.
Play with them to find what you like its free!
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
conradestrada
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by conradestrada »

I hope this helps you I am just learning the artist aspects of this.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”