Table Control SW

General software related questions should be posted here.
islander261
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Table Control SW

Post by islander261 »

Hello
I am looking for anyone who has used any non proprietary control besides Mach3 for their plasma table. Specifically has anyone been using LinuxCNC or one of the USB motion boards (KFLOP, UC100, ETC)? I have been using an old Torchmate 3 (Flashcut) system and have become quite frustrated because of the closed nature of the system. I know LinuxCNC seems to really be rising now with Tormach and I believe soon CandCNC using proprietary releases. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see it behind the curtain on other closed systems. I really want to hear about your experiences with system configuration and what you did for torch height control.

John
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Table Control SW

Post by acourtjester »

I tried 2 USB cards (UC100 was one) the other was Chinese I could only get 2 axis drive from both not 3 as needed. Both had their own software that come with them. No help from either companies when contacted them to see why, they are sitting in the corner lost money :o :( good luck.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

Regardless of what you do you are going to have to chunk the whole Flashcut system. If you want totally open source you have to go with LINUXCNC and find a usable HAL file to use with a generic THC that sends the UP and DOWN commands. It gets deep pretty fast if you are not a bits and bytes kinda guy. Get into the LinuxCNC user group and root around for Torch height Control. You can continue to use the TM design software and just save it as a DXF for import to another open CAM program (SheetCAm is not free but you can run it on Linux)
Mtw fdu
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Mtw fdu »

I have a UC100 motion controller on my plasma with a USB set from Camcutcnc.

I had trouble with setting it up and also had limited help from the supplier. I have also got it set using Windows 7 rather than the windows xp setup. However after many emails etc to and from the supplier I have managed to get my table working to a point now that it works really well. I had a lot of help from guys on this forum who had the same machine.

The screen is the same as Mach 3 but it has been titled as "USB THC". This was the first time Camcutcnc had done this setup as I wanted to use my existing laptops.

Now I do a drawing, programme it to the software and cut it (the way it should be done).

Hope this helps.

Mtw fdu.
Camcutcnc 4 x 4 plasma cutter with UC 100 Motion Controller
Powermax 45 with Machine Torch
Bobcad V27 and Mach 3
Proma THC
Now with Rotary Axis
Laser cross hairs
vmax549
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by vmax549 »

IF you like the Feel of the Torchmate system( and it is not a bad system) then you may want to contact FlashCut . They offer a plasma system now that Torchmate no longer uses the flashcut system. It MAY be a simple upgrade of hardware(Zaxis)/software.

Just a thought, (;-) TP
islander261
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by islander261 »

Hello

I looked at a new FlashCut installation but the closed nature has me worried. While the present TM3 works there are problems that are out of the users reach. I actually don't use the TM CAD because it is so bad. My usual tools are AutoCAD or Inkscape followed by Sheetcam.

I have started a controller requirements document that incorporates my experience using my much modified TM2 system and other bits and pieces I've picked up here. This is oriented to my requirements, work with existing tools, only cut 18ga to 1/4" (14ga is normal and thickest ever is 3/8"). Plasma power supply is Thermal Dynamics A-60 with homemade Frankentorch (HT Duramax parts on working end). Any comments, suggestions or corrections are welcome.

John
controller rev-1.pdf
(128.09 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
vmax549
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by vmax549 »

What is not to like from a closed system?. They know teh hardware and software from end to end AND they know exactly what parts are on it and what you need to get back up and running. MOST good systems are closed systems even thought you THINK they are open.

Take your franken torch for example. IF you run into torch problem who are you going to turn to for help. Hypertherm really cannot help you and TD cannot really help AS you you built a true monster (;-).

Even with kits such as CandCNC they are good kits BUT for the most part they are CLOSED systems. You have to use their hardware( cards) and software(plugins) for the most part. AND if you hybridize it you are pretty much on you own again as they have NO idea what you have changed or added.

Most OPEN systems can be a nightmare for the average user as NO ONE really knows what has been used to build it and where the parts came from as there is a HUGE array of CNC parts and pieces on the market now. Same with software. You start with a basic Mach3 and it is NOT great for plasma UNLESS you modify it for teh specific purpose of plasma. THEN you use special screens and plugins and macros and brains . WHO is going to support all teh unknowns ???
NOW if you are a Gwiz at all this then it is a moot point as you can figure it out on your own givin enough time . BUT if you are not mechanically and electronically savy THAT may be a problem.

I have seen MANY people get in WAY over their head over the years and NEVER finish teh machines BECAUSE they could not figure it all out. Some can and some Cannot.

THe magazine adds of the PLUGIN N play cnc plasma machine can be VERY deceiving.

(;-) TP

Return to “General Discussion”