selling metal sports team logos? i Is it Legal

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
bigtoy302
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

selling metal sports team logos? i Is it Legal

Post by bigtoy302 »

I made a few signs the other day for fun and I have a bunch of people wanting to buy them. Does anybody know the legallities of selling something like this? These are not exact copies of the actuall logos but are very close. These are about 16"
dbug10
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: selling metal sports team logos?

Post by dbug10 »

I guess I am just a chicken but I went through the trouble of registering through the teams I recreate only 2 collage teams because there was a guy selling his wears at a sporting goods store here and it just so happened that someone from one of the schools say his stuff and inquired about it found out he did not have permission and the school persued it and sued and got there $25000.00 imposed fine out of them. So my suggestion would be get registered it only cost me about $50 for both teams to get a crafters licence just my 2 cents
mdwalker
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by mdwalker »

dbug10 wrote:I guess I am just a chicken but I went through the trouble of registering through the teams I recreate only 2 collage teams because there was a guy selling his wears at a sporting goods store here and it just so happened that someone from one of the schools say his stuff and inquired about it found out he did not have permission and the school persued it and sued and got there $25000.00 imposed fine out of them. So my suggestion would be get registered it only cost me about $50 for both teams to get a crafters licence just my 2 cents

Seems like a small price to pay to be worry free. Would you mind sharing contact information or procedure for getting registered?

Thanks,
Danny
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
bigtoy302
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by bigtoy302 »

x2, I would like more info. I did not think it would be that cheap.
bigtoy302
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by bigtoy302 »

Nevermind, I googled them and found out they both want $250 a year plus 8% royalties. The duck logo is actualy licensed by Disney.
mdwalker

Post by mdwalker »

Below are the email responses I received from the University of Oklahoma and Oklahoma State University on trademark licensing. They both have what is called Crafters Licenses for Oklahoma residents selling to individuals. They also have licensing requirements for large scale productions. Both OU and OSU have links on their websites for licensing information and I would bet that other major universities across the nation would have links on theirs. The only catch with the OU crafters license in the residence requirememts. I haven't checked but I would suspect that licensing for profesional teams such as the NFL would be a whole different ball game.

==========================
OU - University of Oklahoma
=========================

Good Morning Danny,

Thank you for your email. Outlined below are the guidelines of the University?s craft license program:

1) All crafters must reside in the state of Oklahoma.
2) The contract agreement is good for 1 year.
3) All items must be hand-made and made in the State of Oklahoma (MIO), no commercially manufactured items allowed.
4) The crafter cannot sell over 500 units and sales revenue cannot exceed $2,500.
5) The product must be sold directly to the consumer, not via a wholesaler or a third party retailer.
6) A $125 fee is required and includes the application fee and the cost of 500 CLC/Made in Oklahoma (MIO) labels.
7) Pictures of craft items must be emailed to oulicensing@ou.edu for approval.

If you have any additional questions, you may call me at 405-325-7008. If you would like me to send you a contract, please forward the following information: your address, telephone number, e-mail address, website address and pictures of the items you will be making with OU marks.

Sincerely,

Deanna Phillips

Office of Trademark Licensing
McClendon Center for Intercollegiate Athletics
180 W. Brooks
OMS Gate 6
Norman, OK 73019
oulicensing@ou.edu
405-325-7008

================================

OKLAHOMA STATE UNIVERSITY
CRAFTER LICENSE GUIDELINES

This license allows a Crafter to sell to individual consumers only. Sales of items on a wholesale basis to a third party are not permitted. All items must be hand-made. No commercially manufactured items are allowed.

If anticipated sales will exceed 500 units or sales revenue of more than $2,500 in one year, please refer to http://www.clc.com for more information on the Local or Standard Licenses available through the University=s licensing agent, The Collegiate Licensing Company.

An Officially Licensed Collegiate Craft label will be required to be affixed to all products. These labels may be purchased from the University=s Trademark Office at the cost of $25.00 for 500 labels.

The annual licensing fee for the Crafter=s License is $100.00. At the end of each one year term, the Crafter shall submit a report to the University=s Trademark Office, stating the total sales amounts, total units sold, and the specific location where such sales occurred.

A sample of each item to be offered for sale bearing the University=s trademarks and logos must be submitted for review before the License is granted. Samples should be sent to: Kurtis Mason, Licensing Director, 121 Cordell, Stillwater, OK 74078. Once the samples are reviewed and approved, a Crafter=s License Agreement will be sent to the Crafter for signature. This License should be returned together with a check for $125.00 made payable to Oklahoma State University ($100.00 annual licensing fee plus $25.00 for the 500 crafter labels).

The University=s logos may be reviewed at http://osu.okstate.edu/osu_id. Many of the logos are created with a two-dimensional element, incorporating 4 colors. Pistol Pete should always have the letters AOSU@ scrolling down his left chap or on the front of his kerchief.
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”