Adding a different name to artwork

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
53hudson
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Adding a different name to artwork

Post by 53hudson »

I have used inkscape to generate a drawing with a persons name as part of the art. I imported into sheetcam and have generated multiple layers and operations with different lead ins etc. So now I have a completed G code file to run on mach 3 and it works well.
What I want to know is it possible in sheetcam to save the file/gcode and then return to the file to place a different persons name and replace only the name from before or do I have to create a totally new drawing in inkscape with the personalized name change and make an entirely new sheetcam file scratch or is it possible to save all the operations etc somehow and only add the personalization to it?
Les Newell
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Adding a different name to artwork

Post by Les Newell »

Once yo have everything set up in SheetCam, save it as a job file (File->save job). This saves the drawing and all of your settings.

When you change your drawing load the saved job file then import your updated drawing (File->import drawing). This will replace the drawing in SheetCam with the new one while keeping your settings and operations. If you have manually moved outlines to different layers in SheetCam, you will need to do the same with your new drawing. If you use different layers it is best to separate the layers in Inkscape rather than in SheetCam. Many people find it easier to use different colours in the drawing then use the option in SheetCam to use colours as layers.
sonbakler
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by sonbakler »

Awesome tip, thanks Les! Happy to see you on here :Like
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

When using colors for layer differences to insure the same color for layers you want together you can use the copy and paste of the color code.
Shown in a box in the lower right of the image, when selecting the RGB color groups, in Inkscape.
color code.JPG
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
53hudson

Post by 53hudson »

Thanks to all for the responses it will give me an opportunity to try something different when using layers in inkscape through to sheetcam and color coding them to suit.

Return to “SheetCam”