part copy from picture

Share tips and tricks regarding cut cutting, material handling, metal finishing, marketing, or anything you find helpful.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

part copy from picture

Post by acourtjester »

Here is a video on how to copy a part shape/dimensions from a camera image using Blender software. Video talks about 3-D printing but the process would be the same for DXF file.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Re: part copy from picture

Post by adbuch »

Tom - thanks for posting! Have you used the Blender software? If, so - how do you like it?
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Tom - I thought I'd download Blender to try it out, but during the process my Malwarebytes flagged it as having a Trojan and blocked the installation.
I don't know that I want to take a chance messing up my computer. Maybe I'll try to install it later on a different computer.

But I did take a quick look at the video and he's simply using the techniques we already use with a different software program. Take a photo, import to Inkscape, CorelDraw, or whatever and trace/scale to size using measurements taken from the actual part. I would normally use one of these programs to create the drawing, then save as svg/dxf and import to Fusion 360 for creating the solid model.

David
trojan.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I have not tried Blender, and agree with watching downloads for Malware. It seemed to be an alternative software for some to use for part copying.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
tinspark
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tinspark »

I have used the method that David mentions with only one exception, and only for flat patterns at this point in time.
I take a photo and crop it. input it into Inkscape, clean it up a bit, convert it into a DXF file, then import it into Designedge.
I then draw a line in Designedge that matches either the x or Y coordinate of the actual part, and scale it up or down in DE to match the fixed line
of x or y. This has worked well for me, and I can get parts very close, especially for the tolerances that I need up to this point.
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Height Control/Advanced DesignEdge
Hypertherm 45XP-
Logan Lathe + myriads of other shop toys
**CAUTION**- "Does Not Play Well With Others" :)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

tinspark wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:13 pm I have used the method that David mentions with only one exception, and only for flat patterns at this point in time.
I take a photo and crop it. input it into Inkscape, clean it up a bit, convert it into a DXF file, then import it into Designedge.
I then draw a line in Designedge that matches either the x or Y coordinate of the actual part, and scale it up or down in DE to match the fixed line
of x or y. This has worked well for me, and I can get parts very close, especially for the tolerances that I need up to this point.
Doug - that's pretty much what I do as well. Take photo, crop with Paint.net, manual trace or auto trace with Inkscape and then send it to Design Edge for edit/scaling.

David
TJS

Post by TJS »

David. What do you crop out of it in Paint.net. The backround ? After you crop it in Paint.net I assume you save it as a JPEG so then a trace can be performed in Inkscape.
Thanks.
T.J.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

TJS wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:55 am David. What do you crop out of it in Paint.net. The backround ? After you crop it in Paint.net I assume you save it as a JPEG so then a trace can be performed in Inkscape.
Thanks.
T.J.
Yes. Particularly if I am planning to do an autotrace. But it works well for a manual trace as well. Here is a crude example.

Original photo.
20230903_232136_resized_1.jpg
After cropping.
plate cropped.jpg
Imported to Inkscape for tracing.
plate cropped 1.jpg
The problem with this photo is the fact that I didn't have the camera looking straight on, so as a result there is some parallax.

David

TJS

Post by TJS »

Cool. I will have to check the video you posted on how to do a manual trace with the bezier tool. I am always making a mess with that thing. Curves, clicking, wondering....totally uncoordinated.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

TJS wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:02 pm Cool. I will have to check the video you posted on how to do a manual trace with the bezier tool. I am always making a mess with that thing. Curves, clicking, wondering....totally uncoordinated.

TJ - one of the things I like about the Inkscape manual trace method using the Bezier draw tool is that you don't need to have a steady hand. You just lay out your nodes and they are automatically connected. Then go back and do a node edit to drag the individual path segments out to match the exact shape of the image you are tracing.

David
TJS

Post by TJS »

I watched the Bezier trace video you posted. Good vid but kind of hard to see what was happening with the black shape and red dark line.
Thanks.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

TJS wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:19 am I watched the Bezier trace video you posted. Good vid but kind of hard to see what was happening with the black shape and red dark line.
Thanks.
TJ - I'll work up some screen shots showing how I do the manual tracing with Inkscape.

David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

David and TJ you can change the line size and color by adjusting the stroke settings. but it only shows up when the line is finished drawing. Make is easier when making correction as David points out after you trace the object.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:21 am David and TJ you can change the line size and color by adjusting the stroke settings. but it only shows up when the line is finished drawing. Make is easier when making correction as David points out after you trace the object.
:Like :Like :Like
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

adbuch wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:16 am
TJS wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:19 am I watched the Bezier trace video you posted. Good vid but kind of hard to see what was happening with the black shape and red dark line.
Thanks.
TJ - I'll work up some screen shots showing how I do the manual tracing with Inkscape.

David
TJ - here is a simple example of using the Bezier draw tool to manually trace an image. In this case, the image is symmetrical so as an option you could just trace 1/2 the shape and then use the Mirror tool to finish the trace.

David
manual trace example 1.jpg
manual trace example 2.jpg
manual trace example 3.jpg
manual trace example 4.jpg
manual trace example 5.jpg
manual trace example 6.jpg
manual trace example 7.jpg
manual trace example 8.jpg
manual trace example 9.jpg
manual trace example 10.jpg

TJS

Post by TJS »

Thanks David. I will try a part soon from a picture I take. Seems like when I am Bezier tool mode I cannot land the node or the line at the end never closes right when I double click it or it moves just a tiny bit off and does not close to make a closed path.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

TJS wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:49 am Thanks David. I will try a part soon from a picture I take. Seems like when I am Bezier tool mode I cannot land the node or the line at the end never closes right when I double click it or it moves just a tiny bit off and does not close to make a closed path.
TJ - of up enable your snaps - you may have better luck.

David
snaps 1.jpg
snaps 2.jpg

Return to “Tech Tips From Other Members”