TEMU Metal Art

Plasma Cutters can be used to make some amazing products & projects. Upload some pictures of projects you've completed using your plasma cutter.
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

TEMU Metal Art

Post by Joe Jones »

I was curious, so I ordered two pieces from the TEMU APP on my iPhone. The prices were ridiculously low. I wasn't expecting much!

They arrived ... such as they are. I will not blame TEMU except that they should have marked the package "DO NOT BEND!" :lol: My mail carrier was able to FORCE them into my large mailbox!

After flattening them out, they seemed to be nice pieces. They are LASER CUT 1mm thick steel, powder coat black on both sides, and the hummingbird (an Inkscape TRACED PlasmaCam Art Files Design, no doubt :lol: ) has some additional coloring added, looking to be done with a spray can or an air brush.

Decent prices, and FREE DELIVERY! All in all, I think this is a good deal!

It does make me wonder HOW one can compete with a cnc plasma table though.

Joe
TEMU TREE.jpg
TEMU HUMMINGBIRD.jpg
TEMU TREE DIAMETER.jpg
TEMU HUMMINGBIRD MEASURED.jpg
TEMU BENT TREE DELIVERED.jpg
TEMU BENT HUMMINGBIRD.jpg
TEMU ORDER AND PRICES.jpg
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
tinspark
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: TEMU Metal Art

Post by tinspark »

Funny you just posted this. A friend of mine just called me yesterday asking me about buying a plasma table to do trinkets and sell them online and at local events for a side hustle. I told him that (at least in our area) I would not buy one and expect that selling trinkets and such will make him money while paying off his machine and generating meaningful income to pay other bill that he has. Plus, I mentioned the hundred of hours to learn how to operate it which includes the training and experience needed learning to draw and convert files.. Not to mention all of the setup expenses and operating costs etc.

and as a side note, Here in the san Joaquin Valley, (Central Calif) which is mainly farm and ag and is an area that over teh years seems to be punished for being one of the only red communities. If someone has a legit business that cuts metal, they have to pay a fee to the "San Joaquin Valley air quality board", and log every second that the machine is running, as well as how many pounds of metal are being burned per month. even if they have a very expensive dust collecting scrubber system or water table. They come out and check on everyone who operates cnc and laser tables , minus hobbyists. And of course there is a "fee" for this "service" (remember, its a fee not a tax) and go through the "books" regularly. . This entity is s self funded (of course) and has the power to fine a company if they do not keep accurate records or do not comply.. (ok enough of that, but it does play into a legit side hustle!).. .
I told my friend that, At least in my experience. Start his ornamental side hustle first, which he expressed a desire also to do as well minus the cnc machine, since he has the basic tools to do that, and the shop to do it in already for a concrete floor polishing business that he does, and is paying for the shop space already. Then, add a sign or flyer outside advertising his new gig. And if basic ornamental work is a money maker, adding a CNC machine is like adding a facet on a diamond, which makes his side hustle more appealing to potential customers.
Having CNC capabilities which are on standby is expensive! unused capabilities which are capitol heavy is a waste. generating some income without shelling out money on tooling while he is gearing up is the way to go. , which for him may be doing some basic gates and security doors, and getting his name out there. . Then see where that goes... He has two kids at home and is month to month and above water right now. Barely.
Those were my pearls of wisdom, which seemed logical for his circumstances, and seemed to make sense to me as it was rolling off of my tongue.
He was the one calling and asking, His 19 year old son who has just joined the pipe fitters union apprenticeship and has been hammering him too about it and putting it into his head. They seem to know everything until they move out. My 19 year old was the same way and has been out for over a year now and shows me a lot more respect since he decided to leave home and took the plunge into the "real world"!
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Height Control/Advanced DesignEdge
Hypertherm 45XP-
Logan Lathe + myriads of other shop toys
**CAUTION**- "Does Not Play Well With Others" :)
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

tinspark wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:38 pm A friend of mine just called me [..] asking me about buying a plasma table to do trinkets [..] for a side hustle. I told him that [..] I would not buy one and expect that [..] will make him money while paying off his machine and generating meaningful income to pay other bill that he has.
TRUTH!

Right now, if I were to create trinkets to sell, I think I would be pounding out cutsie Christmas ornaments by the thousands, and prepping to unload them in a buying frenzy when people see the BIG SIGN reading,
"Only $14.95 Each!" with a big red line across THAT price and under that ...
"While Supply Lasts! $6.95 Each, or FOUR for $20.00!" You would sell them out to the last one, and make $4.00 on every one! :Yay
Plus, I mentioned the hundred of hours to learn how to operate it which includes the training and experience needed learning to draw and convert files.
Not with a PlasmaCam! :mrgreen:
Not to mention all of the setup expenses and operating costs etc.
Yes, a computer, a UPS unit, an air compressor, a good fan, lots of power and hand tools, and a PLACE to make noise and belch out smoke and fumes.
... as a side note, Here in the san Joaquin Valley, (Central Calif) [..] If someone [..] cuts metal, ...
Say no more! That is exactly why I moved to Kentucky, you know ... here ... in FREE America! :mrgreen:

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

4Dscreenart
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by 4Dscreenart »

Honestly these signs are more of a tedious hassle for me. I will do some once in a while but in places like Esty and now this temu everyone is so hell bent on undercutting someone else. I do custom fabricating and my cnc table gets used for making parts. When they hire or commission me it is for my experience not my ability to copy cat other designs that are being sold cheaper and cheaper.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

4Dscreenart wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:52 pm Honestly these signs are more of a tedious hassle for me. I will do some once in a while but in places like Esty and now this temu everyone is so hell bent on undercutting someone else. I do custom fabricating and my cnc table gets used for making parts. When they hire or commission me it is for my experience not my ability to copy cat other designs that are being sold cheaper and cheaper.
I agree. I draw all of my own art. I do not use "art libraries" that are passed around like a promiscuous prom queen.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Ok my 2 cents worth, for somebody with time and wants a side hustle without to much outlay for tools they may look into Intarsia. Main tools a scroll saw and sanding device and dust mask. :HaHa here are 2 videos showing the process, I may try my hand at it with my router table, slightly different process similar results.

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I love this kind of art. I bought this many years ago at a craft show.

Joe
SCROLL SAW ART.jpg
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Dirtmotor
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Dirtmotor »

I bought a plasma cutter it was ok , but lacked something , then I bought a cnc table it opened all kinds of possibilities ! But rattle cans are lacking , so I bought a powder gun and a used house oven , it is lacking . So now dreaming about building a big oven ... Started down this rabbit hole with no intention of making money and I don't care , If you take a hobby and try to make it a business , you guys know the rest . I am 65 and having a blast just learning new things !
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I'm 80 and still learning and building things, and have used my table for many different projects. I say allow your mind to wonder, this helps to open possibilities for more fun with different projects.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Dirtmotor wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:37 am I bought a plasma cutter it was ok , but lacked something , then I bought a cnc table it opened all kinds of possibilities ! But rattle cans are lacking , so I bought a powder gun and a used house oven , it is lacking . So now dreaming about building a big oven ... Started down this rabbit hole with no intention of making money and I don't care , If you take a hobby and try to make it a business , you guys know the rest . I am 65 and having a blast just learning new things !
I have heard that people in certain regions of Arizona don't even NEED an oven. They just powder coat the parts and leave them out in the sun. :lol:

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Dirtmotor
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Dirtmotor »

acourtjester wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:54 am I'm 80 and still learning and building things, and have used my table for many different projects. I say allow your mind to wonder, this helps to open possibilities for more fun with different projects.

:Like :Like :Like :Like

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutter Project Picture Gallery”