SIGN SLAPPER

General software related questions should be posted here.
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

SIGN SLAPPER

Post by Joe Jones »

I decided to purchase SIGN SLAPPER software from RedPup Productions, just to see how it differs from DesignEdge. I already have their PANEL SLAPPER software, and it is fairly useful for making things like security doors and panels, and repetitive patters of whatever. I also have their full art disk library, including the most recent Christmas Designs disk. That would be the "Holiday Decorations" for you atheists :lol:

The Sign Slapper program has some nice features, but it lacks more than it offers IMHO. I am not sorry about the purchase, but I was expecting more flexibility in the available tools, etc.

It has a large assortment of graphics and not quite as large of an assortment of fonts, but evidently, you are limited TO the fonts and graphics they offer. I see no way to add additional fonts or graphics, so the program becomes limited, in that you can only produce what is available through their many combinations of both. I cannot import other graphics or fonts. The program has a Mr. Potato Head feel to it. You can make a lot of different things, but ONLY using the pieces that came in the box.

With that said, you can design TEXT very quickly and combine it with shapes both externally and internally, I would say much faster than you can with DesignEdge, and the software allows you to export the Sign Slapper design as a DXF file that you can import into DesignEdge for further editing. This means you can quickly work out the text and shapes, and then use DesignEdge (or another vector editing program) to add graphics, etc.

It is VERY handy for lightning fast changes of graphics and fonts, something DesignEdge cannot do. If I create a sign, and "weld" the font to a graphic, and change the height, and slant the text, it allows me to choose a different font and the program remembers what it is supposed to do with the font. It all happens automatically. DesignEdge is a great program, one I am very adept at using. However, to change a font in a design that is already drawn is a bit of a task. With Sign Slapper, it is just a matter of selecting a different font and the rest of the work is done instantly and automatically.

This also applies to changing the text of the sign. So if you were to make some cute sign for a kid's room, with a teddy bear or a kitten or something (selected ONLY from their available graphics), you could produce "custom" signs easily, by simply changing the name, or the font, or both. This might work very well in a craft fair setting. You would use a router or laser to cut out a quick sign from wood, or foam, or whatever, and make a SAMPLE sign to hang on the trailer door or wall, or display board, etc. showing "Your Name Here." Someone would say, "I want this sign with 'Holly's Room' and you can produce the altered design on a computer screen in SECONDS. Once the sign is sold, you can send the file to the router table, or the 3D printer, or whatever.

In conclusion, this is a good tool to have, for quick manipulation of text and graphics selected from their choices. I can see this working well in a craft fair setting, because of its speed and automation of many otherwise manual tasks. Is it worth $500.00? :roll:

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
1MORECUT
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: SIGN SLAPPER

Post by 1MORECUT »

Have you tried the art import tool.
Art Import tool.JPG
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

1MORECUT wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:55 am Have you tried the art import tool.

Art Import tool.JPG
No! I didn't know that exists! THANKS!

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Flatty45
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Flatty45 »

I have been looking at purchasing the Sign Slapper program and was wondering if you had any updates on it's functionality since your last post?
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I have not used the software much, other than to play with it to see how it worked, , but I bought it ... just because. :roll:

I have DesignEdge which is the PlasmaCam design software, which I find extremely easy and FUN to use. However, I bought SIGN SLAPPER anyway, just to see what the difference was. It works very much the same as DesignEdge except that some of the editing and centering, and trimming functions, etc. are done automatically, based on presumptions. It is quicker to put a design together, but you have less control than when using DesignEdge, or AutoCAD or other, more powerful vector editing software..

If you do not have DesignEdge with the advanced Design Upgrade, SIGN SLAPPER is a good alternative. So is LIGHTBURN software, which is intended to be used with lasers, but the designing capabilities of LIGHTBURN are totally awesome, coming in at the cool price of only $60.00usd.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

This program is rather limited. You have to import a dxf image at the very start, then the option disappears. I bought this software, but I don't like it very much.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Return to “General Discussion”