Keep Ubob 3 and DTHC II or switch to SmoothStepper ESS?

CandCNC plasma table components discussion forum
Tristar500
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Keep Ubob 3 and DTHC II or switch to SmoothStepper ESS?

Post by Tristar500 »

I picked up a used CandCNC 4x4 setup.
Came with a couple of computers and control box. The control box contains a power supply, a 4 in 1 stepper driver and a few other boards connected to each other with ribbon cables. Not really sure what I'm looking at here. I haven't used a parallel setup since the Smoothstepper cam out 20 years ago.

Is the CandCNC DTHC II any good? I'm not sure how I could integrate it with the SmoothStepper and if it's not all that good maybe just better to switch it over some the electronics are similar to all my other CNC machines?

Question; Should I just get it hooked up and running with what I have or should I gut the control box and replace with a SmoothStepper ethernet and add a THC?

I think I've got a complete setup but I guess the question is how well does this CandCNC system work?

Thanks Everybody!
PXL_20231117_232118512.jpg
PXL_20231117_232056515.jpg
PXL_20231117_232047784.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

5X7, 6x11 plasma own design
Mach3,4 SheetCam, CorelDRAW 2020 Inkscape .0.92
Homebuilt 3 axis mill
Homebuilt 5 axis mill
PrimeWeld cut 60
Hypertherm 350
Miller Symchrowave 250 DX
Several mig welders

You are only as old as the woman you feel.
kn612
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Keep Ubob 3 and DTHC II or switch to SmoothStepper ESS?

Post by kn612 »

I have the same generation ubob 3 and dthc2. Basically same exact setup you have there just different footprint. For a mach3 setup it is good, way better than using the standard mach plasma. The dthc2 responds fairly well, you won't be able to cut corrugated but I've never had any issues with torch diving/crashing or edge quality. It also will stop cutting if it senses a voltage spike if consumables burn up, that's saved me a time or two.

The screen interface is ok too, it's nice being able to adjust torch voltage with a click of the mouse.

The cut recovery leaves a lot to be desired.

Only issue I had with the controller is the dthc2 suddenly started reading 17 volts at idle not cutting. It was kind of a pain to get a refurbished dthc2 from candcnc, but a new card solved it and haven't had any issues since. They wanted to upgrade it to their new linux controller. I wasn't thrilled with investing $$$ into a controller upgrade that had an even higher cost for replacement parts, especially when there are more options out there now tailored for plasma cnc.

I wouldn't cannibalize it, it's worth a little bit to someone if they want to send it in for the upgrade. I know I wouldn't spend any time/money building a controller to run mach3. I doubt you'll see any thc performance increases with any brand THC paired with mach and windows. That dthc2 outperforms the proma I was using before. Run it, see if you like it.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Tristar500
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Keep Ubob 3 and DTHC II or switch to SmoothStepper ESS?

Post by Tristar500 »

I'll give it a try I guess. I can always part out the brain box and go with the ESS and the WarpRunner.
5X7, 6x11 plasma own design
Mach3,4 SheetCam, CorelDRAW 2020 Inkscape .0.92
Homebuilt 3 axis mill
Homebuilt 5 axis mill
PrimeWeld cut 60
Hypertherm 350
Miller Symchrowave 250 DX
Several mig welders

You are only as old as the woman you feel.

Return to “CandCNC Forum”