Hidden dots

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
AnthonyCoker
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Hidden dots

Post by AnthonyCoker »

I have a plasmacam and use design edge software. Sometimes i get files that have dots in them. You cant see them when you check every thing looks great until you cut and you get random pierce points in the metal. Upon inspection there are dots that are not visible in the drawing. I am wondering how to find them all and delete them without having to zoom every section of the drawing and then selecting a empty area to find there is something available to delete. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. I am truly not sure what you call the dots. I thought is was nodes.
C'mon Now! :D

Einstein hit it on the head!
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hidden dots

Post by Joe Jones »

Watch my video

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

AnthonyCoker wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:44 am I have a plasmacam and use design edge software. Sometimes i get files that have dots in them. You cant see them when you check every thing looks great until you cut and you get random pierce points in the metal. Upon inspection there are dots that are not visible in the drawing. I am wondering how to find them all and delete them without having to zoom every section of the drawing and then selecting a empty area to find there is something available to delete. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. I am truly not sure what you call the dots. I thought is was nodes.
The dots and dashes are called REMNANTS. They are tidbits of trimmed lines and other things that are NOT supposed to be in the drawing. DesignEdge sees EVERYTHING, so if you convert a drawing to cut paths, and there is a .001" long line somewhere where it is not supposed to be, DesignEdge WILL convert that line into a cut path and it WILL pierce the material for that cut path. Even if the path is only 1/1000th of an inch long, you will still pierce a hole through the material the diameter of your kerf width at the start point of that cut path. :cry:

Use VIEW > SELECT> to find those annoying errors before you cut.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

AnthonyCoker
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by AnthonyCoker »

Thanks Joe I will try that! :)
C'mon Now! :D

Einstein hit it on the head!
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Remember the EIGHT STEPS!

1. VIEW > SELECT >

2. List by PATH LENGTH

3. Select the shortest path at the top of the list. (open or closed)

4. CLOSE the View Select Window

5. Press F6 to ZOOM to the line or shape you have selected.

6. Press F2 repeatedly to ZOOM OUT to see what it is, in the design.

7. If it DOESN'T BELONG, press DELETE while it is SELECTED to delete it from the design.

8. Repeat this process until the smallest path in the design BELONGS to the design.

Remember to SAVE your design again after all of the tidbits, and errors, and remnants have been identified and deleted!

Joe :lol:

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Larry83301

Post by Larry83301 »

AnthonyCoker wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:44 am I have a plasmacam and use design edge software. Sometimes i get files that have dots in them. You cant see them when you check every thing looks great until you cut and you get random pierce points in the metal. Upon inspection there are dots that are not visible in the drawing. I am wondering how to find them all and delete them without having to zoom every section of the drawing and then selecting a empty area to find there is something available to delete. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. I am truly not sure what you call the dots. I thought is was nodes.
Some files that I load into Mastercam have those dots. I used to worry about them so I wasted time trying to figure them out. Finally I zoomed in on some of them and found that in every file that had them they turned out to be CENTER POINTS for every arc no matter how small or big every arc had the center marked with a dot. Now I just pretend that they don't exist and go on with whatever I was going to do and when I'm done I save the file and all those dots go away. :Yay :Yay :Yay

Larry

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”