FREE Online Training for DesignEdge Software

Plasmacam software related questions and tips can be posted here
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

FREE Online Training for DesignEdge Software

Post by Joe Jones »

I offer free training on DesignEdge software online, via ZOOM. There is no time limit, nor any limit on the number of sessions one may receive.

We connect our PCs together via ZOOM at a convenient time, and work together on whatever topic or problem may arise.

I have been struggling with how to set up simultaneous dual monitor viewing of screens in Zoom. I sent them an email, and they responded!

The problem was, in a ZOOM meeting, when one participant is presenting a screen, the other screens are shut off. However, when training on software, I want to see my DesignEdge screen as usual on one monitor, while viewing the client's DesignEdge monitor in full screen mode on my SECOND monitor. Also, I want the client to see his DesignEdge in full screen as usual, while viewing MY DesignEdge screen on his second monitor ... simultaneously.

Well, ZOOM has added a DUAL MONITOR feature and an ability for all participants in a meeting to share their screens simultaneously.

Now we can both enter a meeting, and with dual monitors, we can see BOTH DesignEdge screens on two full screen monitors, which makes it much easier to train. I can demonstrate something, and watch the client's monitor as he or she duplicates the action.

The other option is to use two PCs, or a second laptop with your main DesignEdge PC, or even an iPad as the second monitor, and come into the meeting with the second computer as an "observer." This will allow you to view my PC screen so you can see clearly what I am doing, and vice versa.

Now training sessions will be awesome! I have two 24" monitors on my main PC, but I also have USB monitors for my laptops, and other options.

In order to participate in a meeting, you need a mic and speakers, to communicate. You can use a desktop mic and speakers, but a headset works better, because you do not get the feedback reverberations that happen.

I will be experimenting with this dual monitor feature in the coming weeks. If you would like to try this, contact me and we will set it all up. Send an inquiry to

addmenow (@) mail (.) com (<---- Broken up to deter SPAM!)

You do NOT need to pay anything to access a ZOOM meeting. I have paid for a plan that allows up to 100 people into a meeting at one time :shock: and there is no time limit!

This is going to be awesome, and it is currently FREE!

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
plasmanewbie

Re: FREE Online Training for DesignEdge Software

Post by plasmanewbie »

Pretty awesome Joe and very generous. Wish this was something I could have participated in when I was just getting started
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I really struggled to figure out a way to have BOTH the host and the client(s) view two screens simultaneously. Their DE software on one screen (perhaps running their table) while my DE software is on the other screen. I was using TEAM VIEWER which worked GREAT, but PlasmaCam put the kibosh on it when they learned that one could remotely control a table through the program. I understand their concern and the liability that comes with remote access to a keyboard and mouse, but with Team Viewer and Go To Meeting both knocked out of the race, it became difficult to maintain the dual monitor setup.

ZOMM seems to have solved the issue now.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

robertspark wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:58 am https://remotedesktop.google.com/?pli=1

??
Have YOU tried this? DesignEdge software put the kibosh on any ability to remotely control a PC after they discovered that with TeamViewer, you could do things like control a table from a remote location, and go into a PC and download files without the other person's knowledge or consent. They didn't want people to circumvent the necessity to purchase the various $998.00 software upgrades, and they didn't want the liability of allowing such access.

For example, say I have a kerosene heater running in my shop. I have no intentions of cutting anything with my plasma table, however, I found a convenient place to set 5 gallons of kerosene in a plastic container ... ON the grates, only temporarily, of course.

You cannot SEE my table, but you can OPERATE my table. So there YOU are, accessing my table from a remote location, and you decide to initialize MY table. The gantry begins to move, and pushes the container of kerosene onto the floor. It breaks open and ignites! There goes my shop, and my home, and maybe ME! :shock: ... and WHO will be deemed responsible? DesignEdge software, for making it possible to MOVE my gantry from YOUR PC!

The other reason they do not want remote access to a PC (and probably the reason of greater concern to them) is as I stated, the ability to circumvent the purchase of the upgrades. If YOU have only the bare bones software, but you want to use the Advanced Design Features such as nesting, and the Full 3D upgrade, etc., and you can remotely access MY PC which has the Full Monty of upgrades ... why would YOU ever pay to add this feature to YOUR DesignEdge license? :roll:

I believe THAT is the reason that they came out with the version that KILLED any ability to remotely access the PC while DesignEdge is even INSTALLED onto it, regardless of whether or not the program is actually running. Say someoone had all of their custom art file discs on their PC, and YOU could log into their PC and download them for your own use? HOW would PlasmaCam ever SELL those art discs again?

I have not tried Google Remote Desktop, and I won't. I think that simply LOADING IT onto the PC would cause my DesignEdge software to commit suicide and shut down, and then I would need to call PlasmaCam to get their blessing to reset the seat. :Wow

TeamViewer, GoToMeeting and other online conferencing options that ALLOW remote access to the PC itself are all somehow BLOCKED by DesignEdge software. Apparently, if a program opens certain ports or whatever, DesignEdge SHUTS DOWN.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

plasmanewbie wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:45 pm Pretty awesome Joe and very generous. Wish this was something I could have participated in when I was just getting started
You know ... sometimes I learn a thing or two myself in these sessions! I had a situation recently, where an owner was trying to figure out how to edit a vector file. In DesignEdge, if you have advanced design, you can FILL a closed path with a color. The default fill color is purple. When you place a closed path INSIDE of a close path, the color is reversed, to show the background color.

However, when you place one closed path on top of another closed path, you still see the closed path, but the fill is not there. This is an indication that you have a double path, because one path reverses the fill of the other path.

So I was telling him to place closed paths onto another closed path, and he was showing me the result. ALL of the closed paths were filled! I could not figure out why this was happening. I toyed with various tests for a moment, and then I asked him to save the file on his PC and send it to me AS IS.

I discovered that he was importing closed paths as CUT PATHS, and of course, when you place them over a closed path, they DO NOT reverse the fill color. This only became obvious to me when he sent me the file, and I dragged the inner closed path off of the larger closed path. I then saw that it was a CUT PATH, but I could not see that in the cell phone screen photos, because he had all paths selected, so they were all bright green!

He then revealed that he is color blind, so he was unaware that he was not importing CLOSED paths (purple), but rather, he was converting them to CUT PATHS (blue) when he imported them, which caused the confusion. So I learned something that day! :Wow I am always happy when someone can show me something I did not know about DesignEdge. I am not ashamed to admit that I don't know everything about this software... YET :mrgreen:

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Return to “Plasmacam - DesignEdge”