Plasma Cam TD 101 Height control issues

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Plasma Cam TD 101 Height control issues

Post by rdj357 »

I look forward to seeing the settings as I would say with almost certainty that they are the problem.

If the machine is connecting and not giving you communication errors that make it impossible to operate then all this talk about parallel cables and cords is wasted. It will all work positively, absolutely fine in PS/2 mode or any of the others.
terryrallen
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by terryrallen »

Thank you
I have all the original binders and installation VHS that came with this table when I purchased it new. Tells you how long ago being a VHS. I will go back and see what I am missing. I cut a lot of 14 ga but have cut some 3/4 at times. I did send John a message but maybe it didn't send. I plan to spend some time tomorrow figuring it out .

Terry
terryrallen
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by terryrallen »

David
I do appreciate all your help with this issue. When I purchased and setup this table I was also setting up my entire machine shop. I am thinking I was in such a rush that I got it up and running and didn't look any further. I just went back over the instruction manual and found things I didn't do. For starters it tells not to have a printer scanner fax on the PC. The drivers for it can conflict with the table so uninstall it and enter the BIOS and configure the parallel port, Or install a separate one. It also explains many other settings that I am sure are not set correctly. My objective today is to go down the list and set it up correctly. I do have that parallel port coming and will install that when it gets here.

Terry
terryrallen
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by terryrallen »

IMG_4768.jpg
David
Here are some screenshots. I was able to configure the port to the EPP optimized setting and able to operate the table but now on the EPP optimized low voltage setting. I changed some settings in the digital height control and was able to raise and lower between cuts with consistent height back to the material. When I tried to enter settings like .03 for variance in cut height to follow the material like the manual suggested it wouldn't let me. It would come up with what it would except. Did the same for pierce and cut height. I have more tuning to do. I am excited I am on the right track.
Sorry about the orientation of the screenshots. I am new here.

Terry

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Terry - Nice to hear you are making some progress. I don't know about EPP vs. PS/2 - but as Robert said - as long as you are connected and able to run the table, the particular port setting probably doesn't matter. I would think the supplied instructional material that you are reading over should have explicit instructions on setting the height control, etc. Sometimes it takes several sessions of studying to take in all the material - at least in my case.

David
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

There are some settings that are helpful to double check under the Advanced button on the Height Control page but the most important thing I see is your Arc Voltage Shift being set at 2. This would be quite high for a Hypertherm machine - I'm not positive where it comes in for a TD but I don't expect it would be that much different. With normal consumables I'd expect that to be down closer to 1.2-1.3". Try setting it at 1.2 and cutting a long test line on flat material. The auto calibration function, in my memory, doesn't work so well on an old DHC using 3.xx or older so I'll attach a guide made by John Derby that he has shared in the past that should be quite helpful.
DHCHEIGHTCONTROLSETUP2.pdf

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”