Plasmacam software related questions and tips can be posted here
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Need old plasma cam install disc

Post by adbuch »

wompom wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:13 pm
Uzaree wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:33 pm I sent you a PM
Hey, I also am looking for this. Bump from the dead, I know. Signed up for the Fb groups and trying to figure out how to get the software to run a DH2 I inherited. I do not have a way to do a transfer of ownership since the original owner is deceased. PC office is no help.
Uzaree has not been active on this forum since 2022. I would recommend joining one or more of the Plasmacam Facebook groups as there are some there still using 3.11 software.

David
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

Hey, I also am looking for this. Bump from the dead, I know. Signed up for the Fb groups and trying to figure out how to get the software to run a DH2 I inherited. I do not have a way to do a transfer of ownership since the original owner is deceased.
Find out who the Executor of the deceased person is, and have them sign over the table to you in front of a Notary, or provide PlasmaCam with a Certificate of Death. There is something is fishy about this, because you CAN register a table you "inherited" with the proper paperwork.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

In the meantime check this out https://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic. ... 14&t=35695 and get yourself signed up before it's too late to enter the draw.
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

Joe Jones wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:51 am
Hey, I also am looking for this. Bump from the dead, I know. Signed up for the Fb groups and trying to figure out how to get the software to run a DH2 I inherited. I do not have a way to do a transfer of ownership since the original owner is deceased.
Find out who the Executor of the deceased person is, and have them sign over the table to you in front of a Notary, or provide PlasmaCam with a Certificate of Death. There is something is fishy about this, because you CAN register a table you "inherited" with the proper paperwork.

Joe
Don't forget the blood, urine & DNA samples.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

djreiswig wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:59 pm Don't forget the blood, urine & DNA samples.
:HaHa :HaHa :HaHa
Cj du Plessis
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Cj du Plessis »

Good day plasma friend.
I just bought a plasmacam dhc2 and the previous owner did not have the design edge software CD anymore.
Is there anyway how I can get the software?
Please please someone help,
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Register your name as the new owner of the table with plasmacam. Call them at 719-676-2700. They will send you a form to sign. You will need this Transfer of Ownership Form signed by the previous owner and by YOU, in order to transfer the table into your name. If nothing is awry, they will allow you to download the software from The Owners Community Forum and activate any DesignEdge upgrades the previous owner purchased with the table, or subsequently purchased and activated during his ownership of the table.

The previous owner MUST UNINSTALL his DesignEdge software from his computer. If he does not do this, it will cause problem for YOU, when DesignEdge "phones home" in the background and reports to Plasmacam that the previous owner is still running the software on his PC illegally after the ownership of the table and the DesignEdge SOFTWARE LICENSE have been transferred to YOU.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Why would someone else illegally using the software cause problems for him after the magic form has been signed by both parties? Wouldn't the previous owner be the one who has problems? Wouldn't plasmacam just zap his computer?
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

djreiswig wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:38 pm Why would someone else illegally using the software cause problems for him after the magic form has been signed by both parties? Wouldn't the previous owner be the one who has problems? Wouldn't plasmacam just zap his computer?
When these Transfer of Ownerships occur, the previous table owners often (not always) try to KEEP DesignEdge on their PCs to use for design work for other cnc plasma tables or lasers, or whatever, and only sell the TABLES to new owners. I understand this, because DesignEdge is so awesome to have! :mrgreen:

The DesignEdge license for the software you are LICENSED TO USE (read: DO NOT OWN) clearly indicates that the license is only to be used by the current registered table owner, and only to run the table bearing the serial number that the license is tied to. When the new owner is using his DE license according to the agreement, and the previous owner fires up a PC with DesignEdge, and DE "phones home" over the Internet to report the IP Address where the software is ALSO being used, along with the activity that is being done with the software, it raises a big red flag at PlasmaCam.

PlasmaCam CANNOT know if the previous owner is just using the DE software illegally, or if some "deal" was worked out between the previous owner and the new owner to allow the previous owner to continue to use the software as a 'second seat' for a lower purchase price (Wink! Wink! Nod! Nod!) or whatever.

All PlasmaCam KNOWS is that the software license is being illegally used on another PC at a different IP Address than where the current owner lives and works, perhaps simultaneously with the new owner running the same license on his PC at a different IP location.

PlasmaCam DOES NOT CARE WHY a second copy of the license is being used. PlasmaCam only cares that the license is being used as a 'second seat' that was not purchased, and it is being used by the previous owner (or a friend, or a neighbor, or a relative, or whatever) who supposedly SOLD the table with the license, and has surrendered his or her legal Right to access to the software under the license agreement.

You may not like it, but them's the rules! So when the previous owner uses the software, and it "phones home" to alert PlasmaCam, the only option is to shut down BOTH PCs until the issue is worked out. This is because the license agreement has been broken, and PlasmaCam does not care WHO broke it.

People want to bitch and moan about PlasmaCam's software, but they darned sure do not want to give it up when they sell the table! :lol:

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

tinspark
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tinspark »

They would likely have been fine if they would have dedicated that computer with the illegal copy off of the internet.
But most do not think about it I guess. Not promoting anything illegal here.
But my legal single seat of Advanced DE has not seen the internet in years and is working fine and has no way of "phoning home".
Admittedly, I would like to get my hands on a copy of the old 3.11 just to check it out! But I truly enjoy using Advanced DE.
And being aboveboard on everything is always a plus in my book.
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Height Control/Advanced DesignEdge
Hypertherm 45XP-
Logan Lathe + myriads of other shop toys
**CAUTION**- "Does Not Play Well With Others" :)
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

tinspark wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:07 am They would likely have been fine if they would have dedicated that computer with the illegal copy off of the internet. But most do not think about it I guess. Not promoting anything illegal here.
No! Of course not! :lol:
But my legal single seat of Advanced DE has not seen the internet in years and is working fine and has no way of "phoning home".
You must be running an earlier version 4.3x or so. Do you update it to the latest versions?

I cannot prove it, but I truly believe the newer versions 4.5x have a time bomb built into them. If they don't phone home after a while, the Config.sys file is corrupt. Reload DesignEdge to Continue error will pop up as the software commits suicide. That is just a GUESS, based on my experiences with others who keep the newer software (v4.5x) off of the Net for extended periods of time.
Admittedly, I would like to get my hands on a copy of the old 3.11 just to check it out! But I truly enjoy using Advanced DE. And being aboveboard on everything is always a plus in my book.
"Once you've tasted steak, you don't want hot dogs."

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

tinspark

Post by tinspark »

No I have not bothered updating it in about 3 years or so. I noticed that when I had wifi running at all times on the shop computer, DesignEdge acted funny every time that I fired it up, and seemed to take longer to load up. That all stopped after I disabled wifi at startup.
I noticed that It works much better as a dedicated non internes/wifi computer, dedicated for my CNC machine only.

If I am feeling crazy,and a bit daring I will put on my tinfoil hat and I will open the wifi up really quick to download a DXF file from Dropbox and shut wifi off before ET notices and decides to phone home.. HAHAH (toungue in cheek). I really do not need internet in the shop but do have the wifi extender out here in case I need do need it for some reason
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Height Control/Advanced DesignEdge
Hypertherm 45XP-
Logan Lathe + myriads of other shop toys
**CAUTION**- "Does Not Play Well With Others" :)
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

tinspark wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:10 am No I have not bothered updating it in about 3 years or so. I noticed that when I had wifi running at all times on the shop computer, DesignEdge acted funny every time that I fired it up, and seemed to take longer to load up. That all stopped after I disabled wifi at startup.
I noticed that It works much better as a dedicated non internes/wifi computer, dedicated for my CNC machine only.
That would be the phone call to home.
If I am feeling crazy,and a bit daring I will put on my tinfoil hat and I will open the wifi up really quick to download a DXF file from Dropbox and shut wifi off before ET notices and decides to phone home.. HAHAH (toungue in cheek). I really do not need internet in the shop but do have the wifi extender out here in case I need do need it for some reason
You are better off to have a laptop there to download the file from the Net, and move it to the OFFLINE DesignEdge computer via a thumb drive.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

Weird - I have my shop computer on all the time with a plugged network connection so I can access any of my documents and files across all my devices using OneDrive. I haven’t noticed any ill side effects from being on and connected to date.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

tinspark wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:10 am I have not bothered updating it in about 3 years or so.

rdj357 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:22 am Weird - I have my shop computer on all the time with a plugged network connection so I can access any of my documents and files across all my devices using OneDrive. I haven’t noticed any ill side effects from being on and connected to date.
What version of DesignEdge are you running, Robert? Have you also "not bothered updating it in about three years or so?" I am guessing that your PC phones home in the background without your knowledge "all the time with a plugged network connection," so the problem does not rear its ugly head.

My own unused seats must connect to PlasmaCam once in a while, or when I boot them up after a long hibernation, I get the "config.sys corrupt - Reinstall DesignEdge" error, and I am forced to update to the latest version.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Joe Jones wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:16 am ......

What version of DesignEdge are you running, Robert? Have you also "not bothered updating it in about three years or so?" I am guessing that your PC phones home in the background without your knowledge "all the time with a plugged network connection," so the problem does not rear its ugly head.

My own unused seats must connect to PlasmaCam once in a while, or when I boot them up after a long hibernation, I get the "config.sys corrupt - Reinstall DesignEdge" error, and I am forced to update to the latest version.

Joe
I'm using the current version, 4.57 with no issues. I have the same on all my class laptop seats and only start them up half a dozen times a year and haven't had any troubles yet.... (knock on wood)
EZZ1970
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by EZZ1970 »

Hey, I am in the same situation , the software is on an old Compaq P4 machine with windows 98, haha

She be toast and looking for a copy to install on an old Windows XP that I have kicking around...

Can anyone PLEASE help me out, like so many others not sure why PlasmaCam cant offer this as a free download, unbelievable!
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

EZZ1970 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:23 pm Hey, I am in the same situation , the software is on an old Compaq P4 machine with windows 98, haha

She be toast and looking for a copy to install on an old Windows XP that I have kicking around...

Can anyone PLEASE help me out, like so many others not sure why PlasmaCam cant offer this as a free download, unbelievable!
Are you looking for a copy of PlasmaCAM 3.xx ? :-?

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

EZZ1970
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by EZZ1970 »

Yes, any version before "they" controlled your PC would be great... Not sure what version that is, maybe early 4.xx? I have version 3.02 but my PC is in at BestBuy, GeekSquad is trying to recover, it doesn't look good for my old Intel P4 Compaq :(
Attachments
tempImage5wE5X1.gif
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

EZZ1970 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:10 pm Yes, any version before "they" controlled your PC would be great...
I know you do not want to hear it, but do you see that word "Copyright" in your photo? In fact, they DO control that old software and the distribution of it. :Sad

Yes, it can be copied and installed onto PCs without the blessing of PlasmaCam, but that does NOT mean it is legal (or ethical) to do so.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Unfortunately, it is a violation of the software license agreement to share ANY copies of ANY PlasmaCam software, be it the older PlasmaCAM 3.xx or the newer DesignEDGE software. Therefore, you are only left with:

1. Search thrift stores, flea markets, swap meets, garage sales, auction sites, eBay, etc. and HOPE you run across a copy of the old PlasmaCAM 3.11 software

2. Find a PlasmaCAM 3.11 DVD in a public library (or a school shop class) and copy the software to your PC. SOME public libraries will have this disk in their collections, if someone ever donated the disk to the library, and the librarian IGNORES the Copyright on the disk label.

3. Find someone who IS willing to violate the terms of the license agreement, and ask them to discreetly and privately provide you with a copy of 3.11 software.

4. Bite the bullet, and PURCHASE DesignEdge software and any upgrades you may wish to use, so that you have a legitimate license and legal permission to use the software.

I do not violate the software license agreement. I do not have or use 3.11 software.

If you can boot up your old PC at all, you should be able to find the original plasmacam.exe file on that hard drive and copy it to a new PC. Maybe a computer geek store can assist you in recovering that software, or even do a MIRROR duplication of the old drive to a new drive in a new (or newer) PC.

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

EZZ1970
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by EZZ1970 »

Yes sir will do, thank you for the reply
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

EZZ1970 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:23 pm Hey, I am in the same situation , the software is on an old Compaq P4 machine with windows 98, haha

You should be able to use the original installation files that came with your table when it was purchased. It's unfortunate that new copies of this are no longer available from PlasmaCAM but not wholly unreasonable for them to no longer support it and offer the newer, upgraded version that came out over a decade ago itself.

I hope you get your issues solved and get back to cutting!

Return to “Plasmacam - DesignEdge”