Thoughts on the masso controller

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
Sampson Jones
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Thoughts on the masso controller

Post by Sampson Jones »

Seems cool that no external computer is needed but based on what I found and external thc is required . They claim they are developing an all in one with thc . Chime in please on this topic .
My design , 4ft x 8 ft water table
CandCNC electronics
Hypertherm powermax 65
Command Lineux
Super z 2
Sheetcam
Inkscape and corel draw
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Thoughts on the masso controller

Post by robertspark »

opinion: it is a bit limited on inputs and outputs and you are chained to upgrade costs to enable some functions. you are also very limited in what M-codes can run in sync with motion. YMMV.... it's a LOT of money for what it is.... sure there will be a few differing opinions (let us know what you do/ how you get on to advise others in the future)

https://www.masso.com.au/product/cnc-pl ... roller-g3/

I would save a large percentage of my money and buy Mesa hardware with linuxcnc+plasmac..... or uccnc and CNCdrive hardware running on a fanless small board computer

touchscreen by default with uccnc if you have a touchscreen.... no extra costs...
gomond
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by gomond »

The masso is not mature enough for a reliable or first time builder.
I have built Mach 3 , myplasm and masso plasma systems and by far the most awkward is the masso.
Their DTHC torch height controller doesn't seem to be very responsive or stable (though I used the proma and pokeys fiber versions on the masso with much the same issues). It may just be the firmware. My next build will be a LinuxCNC/Mesa with RPi 5.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Very good to have feed back from a user explaining the comparisons. It will help the DIY types in the future.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Here’s my 2 bits worth :

My first plaz table was a “new to me” 2 x 2 T M Growth Series, it was going to cost over $4K to upgrade it to accu-move with THC, I opted instead to build the 6 x 12 with the funds. Once the frame was built and gantry rolling I had to decide what to run it with. Mach or Masso was the last two options on the short list.

The 2 x 2 demonstrated how dirty things get with the lap top that runs it and like posted the fact that Masso required no computer was very appealing. The 3rd Gen Masso controller was just released so I went with it thinking to myself it could always be used on a router table if I did not like it’s plasma features.

The installation and programming was straight forward and relative painless in conjunction with the ClearPath SDSK servos. Masso’s service / forum was always fast to answer any questions that I had. The accessory output signals from the G-3 is used with a TTL style relay to run the peripherals. All inputs are opto-isolated to help reduce any noise infusion.

3 years of use review (short list):

Pro’s

Once you hit the power button your cut ready in less than a minute.
It has been a reliable unit.
The unit generates no heat and can be mounted inside an enclosure.
Some of the upgrades are now free when you install their latest firmware.
My Strine is improving with all my Down-Unda conversations.

Con’s

Their proprietary O S makes finding a compatible touch screen monitor and peripherals difficult at times.
Upgrades to the plasma firmware is slow (but improving)
A re-write on the CAM software (SheetCam) is needed with some of their firmware upgrades
A simple easy to use restart feature is needed for a consumable change (the latest upgrade has addressed this partially - I’ve not upgraded and tried it yet)
There is cheaper all in one controllers in the market place.
The Masso crew needs to be a part of this forum if they want to play with fire.

Would I buy it again?

Maybe / Maybe Not, having to deal with 2 different machines software / G-Codes is a pain why do I want a 3rd ? That’s like having to stock consumables for 3 different styles of plasma torches.

Feel free to ask any questions.

G-3 / relays / terminal bars mounted under hinged key board shelf.

IMG_20200307_210207633.jpg
Control head.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

Awesome real world review, should be very helpful to others. Have never worked with this unit. Thanks for the info Segoman.

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”