100 amps for 1" steel, CNC

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
DHFG
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

100 amps for 1" steel, CNC

Post by DHFG »

I want to get opinions on piercing and cutting 1" mild steel with a 100 amp cutter. We want to do the occasional cutting, including holes, of 1" mild steel. We are using an ArcDroid CNC machine and that prevents us from using a machine with a high frequency start. The Everlast PowerPlasma 102i is being considered. And we use SheetCam to generate our G-code. Any thoughts on using this machine for 1" steel is appreciated.
DieselFumes
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: 100 amps for 1" steel, CNC

Post by DieselFumes »

I was also very interested in that and was hoping it could cut holes in 1" but backed out when I saw that it's pierce capacity is only 3/4" - 7/8". Without drilling a pilot hole this wouldn't work for us so I figured if were drilling a hole anyway might as well continue to use the mag drill and drill the hole to size and forget about doing it with plasma.
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

My Hypertherm 105 is rated to a 7/8" mechanical pierce, I delayed the pierce time and it blows through 1" with no problem. Most holes I do with a drill as a lot of them get tapped.
PlasmaDon
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by PlasmaDon »

Get a oxy/propane machine torch and install it in place of the plasma torch for when you need to cut thick.
aliexpress has them for under $100 with a remote valve block.
KIMG0878.JPG
KIMG0881.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”