Finding clients

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
benval76
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Finding clients

Post by benval76 »

I am looking for some advice on how best to advertise to local businesses. I have a 5 x 10 Torchmate X with a Hyperthem PM 85, Iroquois ironworker, saws, welders, etc... The few things I have yet to purchase are a shear and brake, hopefully be able to locate decent deals on them in the near future. What I don't have is experience searching for work. I have had the good fortune of owning a niche construction business for the last 10 yrs that I shut down at the first of the year in order to be home with my family. I sub contracted to several different companies installing industrial media blast room systems all over the country and never had to look for work. Work always came to me.

To my knowledge, there is not a commercial cutting table available to the public within 100 miles of my location. I would like to target commercial and industrial work. I can't stand the thought of haggling with people over 5 dollar discounts on artsy parts. My thought was to write an introductory letter and send along some form of sample cuts to all of the welding and manufacturing shops in our area. My advertising budget is limited to about $3000 right now. I would like to get some input and advice on how best to advertise. I realize that every area is different, but I would like to know what has worked well and not so well for others in the past in order to get the most bang for my buck. Thanks in advance, Ben.
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: Finding clients

Post by beefy »

Hi Benval76,

one thing I always remember when I asked the same question was a recommendation to go walking the pavement around industrial estates. This guy did it once a month and he said he always came back with work.

He would take samples of his work to show to potential clients. Perhaps some cad drawings to go with them might make it all look a bit more professional. Jim Colt mentioned in one of his posts that you can be quite valuable if you can do a job and have the parts to the company pretty quickly. If they have to go to one of the established industrial shops they might have to wait several days.

A friend of ours who was into photography used Google Adwords about 6 years ago and said very stronly, "That Works". Don't know if it's still as effective or if it's got too expensive and everybody has jumped in. It is something to study up on though because there are techniques to maximise its effectiveness, and bad techniques to waste a lot of your money. Google Perry Marshal & Adwords for a good study book.

Here's just a few ideas I'd try (off the top of my head, not tested).

See if the industrial cafes have a board for flyers and business cards.

I've heard sheet metal shops don't like to deal with metal thicker than a certain amount. They might be able to pass work on to you when people come to them for thicker stuff.

Any steel suppliers that don't have their own cnc gear, some of their customers may ask for profile cutting or fabrication services. A thread I've just been chatting on, it was mentioned one of the guys main customers is a steel supplier.

Got a trailer (and wheel clamp :D ). Park it in industrial areas with an advertising sign. It needs to shout at people with a good graphic so people passing by in cars with get an idea of what the advertisement is about. So many advertising signs require you to go up to them and read them.

Steel fabrication shops. A lot of the smaller ones might not have their own cnc tables and outsource this work.

I certainly feel for you being at this stage. Probably have to deal with a bit of rejection but once you pick up 2 or 3 clients you might start to get on a role.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by AnotherDano »

Forget the bosses.
Spend just a few minutes with the gal at the front desk.

I was at the count clerk office renewing my registration and before leaving, I asked the young lady who had helped me if she had any pets and what her favorite color was. Just that... She gave me her answers and a funny look.

A couple of days later I delivered a name plate with her name and a dachund on it,,, in Purple powder coat. No charge, just my business card taped to the bottom.

That freebe has brought in a load of business.

We've all heard about somebody who "knows a guy...". BE that guy.
Laramie was hosting a convention and the planning committee wanted something made locally to put in the 'goodie bags'.
The wife of a friend of mine said; I know a guy.
That landed me a 350 piece job. Little keychain cowboy boots. A real pain in the a$$ to make but they paid very well.

Staged in the oven to be powder coated. (Metal paper clips are freakin' hard to find). ;)
Hanging.jpg
Elevator speech; a 10 second introduction to what you do and a business card. No long, drawn-out speal...
Here in Wyoming, if you don't have anything with the Wyoming Bucking Horse and Rider logo, or you don't have a lot of stuff in Brown&Gold - you won't do business.
The "Steamboat" bucking horse is the State mascot and you see them all over town.
I just ask people if they've seen them made from steel,,, hanging on fences, gates etc. Everyone says yes.
Then I ask if they know where to get them. They all say no.
I hand them a card and say "Now you do".

I started getting calls asking about sizes, prices and finishes within a week.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday
benval76
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by benval76 »

Gentlemen,

I appreciate your input. Those are very good suggestions. I hadn't considered using Google Adwords before. Obviously an online presence is a must this day in age. I also completely agree that when selling yourself you should make it short and direct. I know that when someone is trying to sell me something I appreciate brevity. Thanks guys.

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”