Windows 8

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Windows 8

Post by abmetal »

Is anybody running Plasmacam with Windows 8 and if so, what's the pros and cons? We'd been running XP for a long time, reluctantly giving in to Windows 7 and before long we're going to have to get a new computer. No, we're too dumb to build our own and our computer sources tell us that with the prices of new ones, we're better off to buy one of those. And it looks like most of them have Windows 8 in them now.

Thanks,
Allen
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Windows 8

Post by Metriccar »

I ran design edge on a windows 8 laptop to design and create cut paths only with no problems. But I didn't do any machine controls with it. Dell still offers windows 7 on their computers. You're not going to be able to drive down to best buy and get a windows 7 computer though where else are you going to get a parallel port computer but dell anyways unless you get one on a pic slot? Dell is the only manufacturer I know of that still offers parallel port. If you can't get an answer here I'd call plasmacam and ask how design edge runs on windows 8. Though if the price was the same I'd get a windows 7 pc. Windows 8 has a learning curve though I find the more I used it the more you can so the same things by pressibg different buttons. For example instead of hitting "start" on your desktop you will hit the windows button in your keyboard and start typing the program name you want to run. The learning curve alone would make me want to stick with windows 7 because we don't know what windows 9 will have in store, if they'll revert back to their old ways with the start button and classic desktop. Or you could just buy refurbished for a few hundred
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

where else are you going to get a parallel port computer
Can't a person use a USB- Parallel Port adapter.?
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... &CatId=471
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
drakus
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by drakus »

Pcam runs great on Windows 8 and will accept a Parallel port card with no problems.

DO NOT use a usb to parallel port adapter. USB is 1 way communication where as a parallel port is bi-directional and the pcam needs to talk & listen at same time.

IMO, I think pcam runs smoother on Win 8 than it does my Win 7 machine, controls/cutting etc.

Also keep in mind you can still buy Win 7 from many distributors and should be able to for about another year or so.

One thing I suggest is a seperate video card with its own memory instead of the shared memory like you get on a store bought computer. It will speed up the drawing / rendering etc. I good one can be had for $35 for a 1 gig card.
--------------------------------------------------
Ted
Pcam DHC2 with the works
PM 30, 45 & 65
Corel Draw X6 - Adobe CS5
Metal Storm
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Metal Storm »

I have been doing some of my design work from my new Toshiba. the resolution is out of sight. it also has windows 8 and im not real crazy about it. I am still learning the ropes my self and have had some trouble with the first version of pcam autocad. some of my stuff is done in adobe and converted to dxf then pulled into pcm. I have yet to cut one of these files once transferred to the computer in the shop (lol that one is an old compact that stops breathing if there is to much going on) I cant seem to transfer files from a thumb drive for some reason.

the other computer I was using is sick and gummed up due to the family's freestyle net surfing; thus the need for my new laptop. with the outage schedule at work and the learning curve with my lap top things have stalled but the customers have been great and I referred anything urgent to a friend and he is more than capable.

so far windows 8 seems to be designed to connect every type of social media to all the others and sign everyone up for a bunch more so all your info is on public display. I guess the big drive is those who want to get famous with a YouTube or what ever. windows 8 also is a trap to sign everyone up for some type of service or app to get more of your money every month.

im not really a tec guy anyway but when something works or I get it working some one comes along and reinvents the wheel. but I guess that's progress, we would still be doing this by hand if there where not advancements. I just wish it didn't move so darn fast.
Metal Storm
by J.P. Janeway
nuke1jj@gmail.com
Plasma Cam DHC2
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 38

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”