feeling stupid

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
rwehavinfunyet
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

feeling stupid

Post by rwehavinfunyet »

I really don't understand how to make a sign that mounts to a wall without seeing anything from the front. I just cant figure it out. been using rivets to combine layers and drilling holes for hanging. I would really love someone to show me how to do it with spacers or without seeing anything from the front. Thanks
Lisa Davis
Davis Metal & Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/pcplasma
Plasmacam
hypertherm 1000
OTHill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: feeling stupid

Post by OTHill »

Ever try double sided tape? My rail racks that drive my plasma table are held on that way.Seems very strong.It's a 3m product
I believe but there are cheaper products available at Walmart and almost any other hardware stores.Allan
5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by abmetal »

I've been using double sided 3M automotive tape for several years with no problems...yet. I just done a layered sign this morning using Gorilla glue epoxy for the first time so we'll see how that works. I've had such good luck with the automotive tape, I was reluctant to use anything else but I wanted to get the combined metal thickness down to a minimum.

And as far as hanging something, I tack weld small washers on the backside.

Allen
DXF
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by DXF »

Here's how I do it. I burn holes and a sawtooth hanger in the back piece. Lay this on the back of the front piece and mark the holes with a ultra fine point Sharpie. Then locate the nuts and clamp with needle nose vice grips and weld as in this link. You can stack up the layers in your cad program to locate where the holes and sawtooth are. I usually make and assemble both pieces without the sawtooth hanger and then hang it on a nail to find the center of balance. Then take it apart and tape the rear piece back in the piece of steel you cut it from and cut the sawtooth. This works great. I hope this helps. You'll need to chase the threads as described in this link.

http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12397

Dave Hanks
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

I actually ran into this myself. The issue I had was what could I weld onto the back that wouldn't just melt through when I tried to weld it on.

The attachment is what I came up with. I don't plan on having to use it often. I didn't want to focus on "artwork" type stuff. more mechanical pieces, but this kind of stuff is what I'm selling. I make my stuff out of 14 ga. so it's not too difficult for me to weld.
Untitled.png

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

rwehavinfunyet
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by rwehavinfunyet »

thank you all so much for you suggestions! I will give them a try!
Lisa Davis
Davis Metal & Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/pcplasma
Plasmacam
hypertherm 1000
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Another thought that may or may not work is to be creative with the drops that come out of your piece. Say you were cutting a square outline out....instead of cutting the entire square piece out, you could leave a tab of it on one end that would then be bent back and then over to make a mount, leaving it all attached to the main piece. This could be done with basically any drop-out piece, instead of the entire piece being dropped out, leave a tab that can be bent back and formed into the mount.

Hope that helps.

attached a sample of what I was talking about.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”