T1 Tool Steel

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

T1 Tool Steel

Post by Shane Warnick »

Anyone ever cut any with a plasma table? I have a customer that was asking me if I could cut some, 3/4" plate that is T1 tool steel. I have a powermax 1250 so I can run 80 amps no problem, if need be. Needs some wear bars cut for some large machinery. I honestly never thought about it, don't know why it wouldn't be possible, just wondered if anyone else has any experience with this material. Maybe things to watch out for, or run for the hills you are about to ruin some expensive material? What says the knowledge of the masses?

Thanks in advance for your time on this.
Shane
JEd
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: T1 Tool Steel

Post by JEd »

I don't know how different it is, but I've cut quite a bit of AR500. It cuts just like mild steel, with the same settings. If anything it seems to clean up a little easier because the dross seems to chip off easier.
weldor2005
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by weldor2005 »

I would say the customer is always right, but for the application you described, I would use AR500 before T1. T1 is loaded with between 17.25-18.75% Tungsten to provide the steel with great red hardness (retains hardness at high temperatures) for use of machine tooling applications, not for heavy wear resistance such as abrasion that you would see with heavy machinery wear plates. That amount of tungsten would also make the steel less susceptible to impact loads that a wear plate would be subject to.

Just my 2 sense.
David Finch CWI

Plenty of welders
Plasmacam 4x4 with DHC2
PowerMax 45
Lots of other toys
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Tool steel or AR plate will cut fine with your Powermax1250 using air. There will be some localized (less than .010" thick) softening of the cut edge (loses temper)....which is the opposite of what occurs on mild steel (A36) plate with an air plasma (nitride hardening on the edge). Generally this small area of softening will have no effect on something used as a wear plate or a cutting edge.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

Thanks for the input I appreciate it. If the customer decides to have me cut it I will let you know how it works out.
Thanks again
Shane
rikduk
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by rikduk »

I've cut some CHT 400 and 450 with the same settings as mild steel. Cuts like butter. Plasma piercing mounting holes is sweet since wear plate is near impossible to drill.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”