Quick Question

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
sbest1
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Quick Question

Post by sbest1 »

Hi
This might seem like a silly question. I noticed alot of files have finer lines for cutting rather than the wide lines for detail. I'm assuming the fine lines are more for a laser machine? My machine needs the thicker lines to cut so the lead ins don't show. Can someone explain this to me? Thanks
MetalTorcher
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Quick Question

Post by MetalTorcher »

Don't quote me on this but I think the finer lines are for a plasma machine. Your machine would cut them with no offset so all you would see would be the pierce point at the beginning of your line. The thicker lines are actually closed paths that a laser would have an easier time navigating. Does this make sense? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Jason Lyon
PlasmaCAM DHC2
Advanced DesignEdge
Hypertherm Powermax 1000
Duramax mini torch with Snap n Cut
Everlast PowerMTS 251si
Torturing metal since 2014
sportfreak15
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by sportfreak15 »

Kerf size on my laser is .007" I can cut single path lines as the lead in is only a couple thousands thicker. The problem is .007 lines really show no detail especially if you powder coat after. Creating a .06+ wide closed path is really my only option if I want to be able to see it from 5+ feet away.
Team Tracker
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Team Tracker »

I believe the single line detail cuts are for smaller designs. If you were going to cut the same design out in a very large size the thin single line detail cuts would likely not be visible. This is where the closed path detail cuts come in.
1-800-590-7804
sbest1

Post by sbest1 »

Thanks! We have a plasma and it prefers the closed path lines. Most pieces we make are quite large, so we want the detail to show.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”