Thoughts/Experience on CNC with a hand torch

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
shiner2001
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Thoughts/Experience on CNC with a hand torch

Post by shiner2001 »

I'm looking for some opinions from people that have experience using a hand torch instead of a machine torch for their table. I'm looking at a Precision Plasma setup and am considering foregoing the expense of both the machine torch and the machine torch mount. I know I can always upgrade, but if I can keep that extra $800-900 in my pocket, why not do it, right? Thoughts on this? What am I "giving up" by using a hand torch on a table? I know there will have to be internal mods made to my HT45 to deal with the actual firing of the torch, but besides that, what are the up and down sides of this?
Derek
Precision Plasma LD 4x8
CandCNC BladeRunner EtherCut Mark IV
HT PM 45
gary42095
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Thoughts/Experience on CNC with a hand torch

Post by gary42095 »

ibought my table with the same reasoning. why spend the extra if it will work. i am running pmx 85. it worked fine while using bit it was a pain in the butt to keep switching hand torch off table to cut stuff off of things i am repairing. so i quickly got machine torch to leave on table. with the quick connect setup on hypertherm its nice and easy to switch back and forth.
as far as wiring, the torch uses exact same connection for both hand and machine torch, slight mod was done inside the plasma unit to make torch fire off of computer. with a separate connector going to cnc controls.
machine torch is also much easier to setup for squareness and in my opinion far more rigid mounted , at least on my setup without the handle hanging out
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The hand torch and the machine torch on the Hypertherm Powermax45 use the same exact consumables and produce the same cut quality......assuming the torch is mounted with the plasma jet perpendicular to the material being cut. The machine torch is of more rugged construction, is built to last longer under high duty cycle cnc cutting conditions, and is designed to easily mount properly.....it also is easier and SAFER to electrically interface any Hypertherm system with a machine torch via the rear panel interface port......which does not work for safety reasons with a hand torch.

There are many cnc machine users that save $200 to $300 (it is not $800 to $900 more) and go with the hand torch. In reality...over time they are likely not saving money as it takes longer to inspect or change torch consumables (removing the torch from a hand torch holder, then replacing it and squaring to the plate might take 2 to 10 minutes). You also likely (over time) will bump the hand torch during cutting and knock it out of square....causing angularity in your cuts which will cause scrap parts.....or extra grinding to compensate for the added edge angularity. There also have been some issues with the torch clamping mechanism squeezing too hard on the hand torch body.....which caused internal wiring to arc out and cause torch misfiring and in some cases damage.

Regardless, Hand torches are designed for hand cutting, machine torches for machine cutting. Unfortunately price often is a bigger decision maker than performance and reliability....especially when the advantages take some time to make themselves noticeable. I have 2 cnc plasma's in my home shop...machine torches only. Here is a picture of one of them with a magnetic breakaway mount that makes for quick consumable inspections....as well as having saved the torch from numerous collisions with tipped up parts!

Jim Colt

shiner2001 wrote:I'm looking for some opinions from people that have experience using a hand torch instead of a machine torch for their table. I'm looking at a Precision Plasma setup and am considering foregoing the expense of both the machine torch and the machine torch mount. I know I can always upgrade, but if I can keep that extra $800-900 in my pocket, why not do it, right? Thoughts on this? What am I "giving up" by using a hand torch on a table? I know there will have to be internal mods made to my HT45 to deal with the actual firing of the torch, but besides that, what are the up and down sides of this?

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by abmetal »

That's exactly the same setup I've got and I wouldn't trade it for anything...that is, unless Jim comes up with something better.

Allen
suttoncnc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by suttoncnc »

I have been totally satisfied with my hand torch. My holder makes removing the torch about a 5 second job and it always lines back up straight. I like the fact that I can pop off the torch and make a manual cut right on the table and snap it back on in a few seconds. I can fully adjust the pitch and roll and it has magnetic break-away. Here are some pics of what I have, it may spark some ideas for you. I should say that my machine is also a router and in the pics I do not have the burn table set up, I used it in router mode to make all the parts for the torch holder.

Scott
MASTER ASSEM EXP.JPG
IMG_0522.JPG
TORCH.JPG
MAG BREAK.JPG
IMG_0527.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

I'd have to guess that you have a day or more in that hand torch holder. I bolted my SnapnCut on, slid the machine torch in and was cutting in 30 minutes, making money with my machine.

I suspect there are more using hand torches on low cost cnc machines than machine torches though.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
shiner2001
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by shiner2001 »

jimcolt wrote: There are many cnc machine users that save $200 to $300 (it is not $800 to $900 more) and go with the hand torch.
I was just referring to the total cost of the machine torch ($600?) and breakaway mount ($250) vs. the hand torch (already own) and mount (included with gantry). That said, I'm now leaning heavily towards the machine torch. No reason to start skimping now I guess. Plus I really like the idea of having a dedicated table torch that I don't have to also use by hand for other projects. Also, Jim, what is the "mini" torch in your picture? Available/recommended for the PM45?
Derek
Precision Plasma LD 4x8
HT PM 45
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

The mini torch is just a shorter version of the standard machine torch. You can convert a standard machine torch into a mini by following the directions in the operators manual.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

shiner2001 wrote:
jimcolt wrote: There are many cnc machine users that save $200 to $300 (it is not $800 to $900 more) and go with the hand torch.
I was just referring to the total cost of the machine torch ($600?) and breakaway mount ($250) vs. the hand torch (already own) and mount (included with gantry). That said, I'm now leaning heavily towards the machine torch. No reason to start skimping now I guess. Plus I really like the idea of having a dedicated table torch that I don't have to also use by hand for other projects. Also, Jim, what is the "mini" torch in your picture? Available/recommended for the PM45?
shiner2001
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by shiner2001 »

jimcolt wrote:The mini torch is just a shorter version of the standard machine torch. You can convert a standard machine torch into a mini by following the directions in the operators manual.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Awesome, I like that idea. I didn't get a manual with the torch I bought from BurnTables, look forward to seeing that with my next one!
Derek
Precision Plasma LD 4x8
HT PM 45
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Sorry...I have to restate this!

The mini torch is only available for the Powermax65, 85, 105 and 125 systems, or systems that use the Duramax torch. The Powermax45 torch cannot be converted to a mini torch, and....we do not recommend using the Duramax torch on the Powermax45.

I had a little brain fade....was thinking Duramax torch.....but when I looked back at the thread the posters were discussing the Powermax45 system..

Jim colt Hypertherm

[quote="jimcolt"]The mini torch is just a shorter version of the standard machine torch. You can convert a standard machine torch into a mini by following the directions in the operators manual.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
shiner2001
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by shiner2001 »

Roger that, Jim...thanks for the clarification!
Derek
Precision Plasma LD 4x8
HT PM 45
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

Actually, you can convert a PM45 machine torch to a "mini" torch. Take the sleeve off the machine torch, cut it in half, drill some holes for the screws on the cut end, and put it all back together. The rubber stand off sleeve slides easily on the cord, and the actual torch internals only take up half the length of the torch sleeve. Of course the gear track won't fit back on,(although I suppose you can cut it in half also). If you ever want to go back to a full size torch, you'll have to buy a new sleeve.
I know this because I have done it, and it works fine.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Where there is a will....there is a way!

Jim Colt

WyoGreen wrote:Actually, you can convert a PM45 machine torch to a "mini" torch. Take the sleeve off the machine torch, cut it in half, drill some holes for the screws on the cut end, and put it all back together. The rubber stand off sleeve slides easily on the cord, and the actual torch internals only take up half the length of the torch sleeve. Of course the gear track won't fit back on,(although I suppose you can cut it in half also). If you ever want to go back to a full size torch, you'll have to buy a new sleeve.
I know this because I have done it, and it works fine.

Steve

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”