Need help with settings - Hypertherm 45/Plasmacam DesignEdge

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Fleming Metal Fab
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Need help with settings - Hypertherm 45/Plasmacam DesignEdge

Post by Fleming Metal Fab »

Having trouble with settings. Trying to cut 16 gauge mild steel. I am trying to match up the settings in my designedge with the hypertherm recommended cut chart, but my torch isn't firing off everytime, or it will fire off then quit.
Also, when I try to enter settings they change manually. For example, I enter material thickness (16g) so I put in 0.6, then (under basic height control tab) hypertherm recommends the cut height to be 0.02 when i enter that number, that's when it changes its-self to 0.023.
maybe i'm confused... On the hypertherm chart, Is the "Torch to Work Distance" the same as "Cut Height" on DesignEdge?

Can someone please tell me what the following settings should be:
Material Thickness
Pierce Height
Time To Pierce
Cut Height

Hypertherm Powermax 45
Plasmacam DesignEdge Software (latest verion)

Just got new consumables:
T45
shield 220673 (shielded)
Shielded Ohmic 220719
Swirl Ring 420211 (maybe they gave us the wrong one, it says 30 amp).

Sorry, I'm a newbie. So any and all help is needed and very much appreciated.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Need help with settings - Hypertherm 45/Plasmacam DesignEdge

Post by jimcolt »

Here are the consumables as listed in your operators manual. Even if you are using a hand torch...it is machine mounted so use the specs and consumables recommended for machine cutting. Torch to Work is the same as cut height.

Material Thickness, the actual thickness of the material you are cutting.
Pierce Height, the height for piercing, use the recommended setting from the Hypertherm cut charts.
Time To Pierce, the time between when the plasma arc transfers to the material, and the machine allows motion. This allows for the arc to fully penetrate the material before the machine moves in the x or y directions. Use the specs in the Hypertherm cut charts.
Cut Height, distance from frontmost part of torch to surface of the material during steady state cutting. On most steel cutting jobs with your Hypertehrm this height is .060", and it is critical to get good cut quality.

My plasmacam changes the cut heioght slightly....4 or 5 thousandths is ok. I recommend asking Plasmacam why this change occurs. It is recommended that you go to http://www.plasmacam.com and join the Owners Community for best Plasmacam advice.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

mechanized consumables.png
mechanized consumables.png (24.43 KiB) Viewed 588 times
cutchartsteel.png

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”