torch cutting out while cutting

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
draperpcs
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

torch cutting out while cutting

Post by draperpcs »

I have the hypertherm powermax 65 on an arclight table, I've had the machine for about three years and recently the hypertherm has been cutting out on me while cutting. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you fix it.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: torch cutting out while cutting

Post by jimcolt »

Look at the LED diagnostic screen on the Powermax65. If there is no error code immediately after the torch shuts off, the that means the start signal is lost and the plasma thinks it was signaled to shut off. If there is an error code, wht is it......look it up in the troubleshooting section of the operators manual.

There are some momentary conditions such as an inlet pressure drop that may not show as an error code....as they happen quickly. A momentart drop in input line voltage can do the same thing.

You can also push both buttons on the front panel and look at up to 6 most recent error codes on the diagnostic screen.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
service screeninfo.jpg

draperpcs wrote:I have the hypertherm powermax 65 on an arclight table, I've had the machine for about three years and recently the hypertherm has been cutting out on me while cutting. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you fix it.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks
draperpcs
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by draperpcs »

it doesn't send an alarm sometimes when it cuts out about a second later it will turn back on.
Could something in the torch be dirty?
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

If the torch stops while cutting and no error code, then refires....it is a problem with the start signal output (or wiring) between the cnc machine and the plasma. All of the Hypertherm plasma's are interlocked so that if the arc extinguishes (and the cnc signal stays active) then an error code will occur and the arc can not refire until the start signal is released then restarted.

It probably an issue with the interface from the cnc , I suggest contacting them.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
draperpcs
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by draperpcs »

Hey Jim,

I appreciate the help your giving me...the alarm its sending is the 0-30 alarm. It looks like maybe my torch might be damaged.
are there any authorized repair facilities in the Salem Oregon area? Do you have any Idea how much a new torch would cost?

Dave
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

If you haven't already, you might want to check your incoming air pressure. My pressure would drop quite a bit when the torch was initially signalled to fire and the torch wouldn't fire at times. I didn't have a problem during winter/colder months, but started having issues last month. I reconfigured my air fittings and now have very little drop: after 770 pierces, I did have one mis-fire. Not 100%, but better than before. My errors occurred during arc start, not during a cut.

Paul
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

The 0-30 would usually indicate:

- worn swirl ring
-worn retaining cap
-worn electrode/nozzle
-Low incoming pressure (below 90 psi) under flowing (air flowing at the torch) conditions.

Best bet is to first try all of the above, if no resolve then contact Hypertherm tech service. There seems to be some conflicting issues as you at first said there were no error codes....yet the torch would cut off then restart a few seconds later. That would not be a torch or plasma issue, that would be in the start circuitry from the cnc machine. The 0-30 is different than the first reports, so perhaps there is more going on.

Tech service can help you troubleshoot the plasma cutter....and they can refer you to a regional service center if needed....I do not know where they are all located!

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”