Do you sell artwork from downloaded designs

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
x_plasmaguy_x
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Do you sell artwork from downloaded designs

Post by x_plasmaguy_x »

Do you sell artwork made from designs you downloaded from here or other sites? I have been hammered lately from over zealous people who say that all the designs here are copied and its art theft if we sell anything made from them. Even if they are remotely resemble the original piece.
I sell on Etsy and other sites and have had pieces take down from Etsy even if they remotely resemble a piece that someone complains about.
If you buy designs here and other places and post them for sale and someone complains then they take them down and threaten to remove your store completely.

What is your experiences with this?
plain ol Bill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Do you sell artwork from downloaded designs

Post by plain ol Bill »

I have purchased software from Signtorch and Cascades Designs. Yes, I have used their designs and/or portions of their designs in items I have cut and sold. Their EULA clearly states that you can do so. What you cannot do is dissiminate their designs in any form to other people - that is theft of intellectual property.
Designs posted to this forum are supposed to be drawn by the poster and posted here for free usage by others. That is stated in the posting rules for the forum.
If what is happening to you were happening to me I would tell them to kiss my grits right up to the point attorneys got involved. A specific drawing can be copyrighted and protected. But it is practically impossible to draw something that has not ever been drawn in some manner or other.

I have been known to reply in haste to some topics and hopefully I have not been too hasty with my reply. I am anxious to see others views on this.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
JJsCustomDesigns
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by JJsCustomDesigns »

I would say that someone is complaining only because you are doing the same thing they are doing. Ive downlaoded files from here - cut them out and sold them. Not in abundance. Maybe one or 2 here and there. Even used a few in other projects. IMO all the files here are here to use in whatever shape or form you see fit. Thats why its called a "File Sharing Forum". You pay to be a member of this site. If im wrong... someone please tell me.

Im guessing that the person/persons that have a problem with this site or the material on this site will lurk in sometime and read this post. In order to know what designs look like from this site... Wouldnt they need to be a Contributing member?
"There are bigger things planned for you in your life, be patient"

Im on the prowl for a good used Hypertherm Plasma with hand torch.
PM me with details
Thanks
Mountain Home
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Mountain Home »

I think we have to use good judgement as to where the art may have originated from. I see a lot of posts where someone has a picture that has been taken of someone else work and the poster asks for someone to convert that for them. That's not converting, that's copying.
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong . . .

But, I would think using some eBay / Etsy type of site is a waste of time other than to use it to draw people to YOUR OWN WEBSITE.

Post something really interesting there and tell them to come to your site for more.

To me that is just as poor of a method of marketing as consignment is.

My two cents . . . :D
Steve
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
bhamer62
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by bhamer62 »

When I post any of my work here on the sharing forum, I feel proud that someone would possibly cut those files and make a few bucks on it or even if its only for personal use. It is a free file that I intentionally shared for public use. However, I have many files that include items purchased from Signtorch that I will not post. They're not mine and I agreed not too when I bought em! The only thing that pisses me off is when I see one of my files, or any other file posted on here, posted on someones facebook page that claims it as a free share and suggests it was theirs :roll: I have seen this quite a few times!!
Many people willingly share files here that are cut and sold by other members, including me. If someone wishes their work not be used in this manner, I would respect that.
JJsCustomDesigns
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

CNCCAJUN wrote:Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong . . .

But, I would think using some eBay / Etsy type of site is a waste of time other than to use it to draw people to YOUR OWN WEBSITE.

Post something really interesting there and tell them to come to your site for more.

To me that is just as poor of a method of marketing as consignment is.

My two cents . . . :D
Steve
eBay Policy overview:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-links.html

Policy overview

In general, when listing items on eBay, you can include links that are solely intended to provide additional details about the items. That means links should only be used when that information can't be included in the listing itself. These links include additional images, technical specifications, manufacturer warranties, and other information that can help buyers make an informed purchasing decision. Other links that point to a third-party provider's website are also allowed, such as image hosting sites and auction template sites.

eBay doesn't allow links to non-eBay sites or content where other items are offered for sale. eBay continually reviews links on the site and reserves the right to block any link considered unsafe for our members.

Make sure your listing follows these guidelines. If it doesn't, it may be removed, and you may be subject to a range of other actions, including limits on your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account.

Just wanted to let ya know that prohibited on eBay.

PM me with details
Thanks
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

What about etsy, e-Bay isn't all that hot any longer . . .

Steve
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
JJsCustomDesigns
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

I wouldnt know about Etsy. Ive had things listed on that site for 45 days before and not one sale. So i bailed on it.

I was hope'n a few others would chime in and make this a hot thread.

PM me with details
Thanks
x_plasmaguy_x
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by x_plasmaguy_x »

I post on all the crafty type sites, Etsy, Bonanza, etc... I have my own web site but don't get near as many sales as I do the Etsy site.
I was thinking about hitting some of the art/wine festivals around here, but I think they are monopolized by an art association, if you are not part of the organization you can't get a booth.

I did find out that the person causing all the trouble is a friend or live/in with the person who has similar pieces.

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”