Pricing my first commercial job... What would you bid this a

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Pricing my first commercial job... What would you bid this a

Post by Oldsarge »

I just scored my first job for a contractor who is building with beams. I'm doing the decorative beam connector plates. There's 108 pieces, 1/4" steel. 4 different designs that I had to draw from the blueprints provided, I had just under 4 hours of drawing time. Sheetcam reports 6458 linear inches, 647 pierces around 3 hours of cut time.

The contractor accepted my bid, but almost crapped a brick when he saw the numbers (I'm a sub to a sub on this job). What would you bid this job at?

Oldsarge
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
CandCNC Dragon Cut 620 DTHC IV
CorelDraw X7, Sheetcam, Mach 3
"Better to attempt great things and fail than to live in the gray twilight where there is neither victory or defeat"
Old Ironworker
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Pricing my first commercial job... What would you bid this a

Post by Old Ironworker »

Are they for wood beams? You are cleaning and painting ( primer, final color ). Without seeing them my ballpark( pulled from the rear hole ) would be 800 to 1,000. I bet someone from this site that does steel fab will have a better number before morning. I would like see some pictures after your done. :)
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

Old Ironworker wrote:Are they for wood beams? You are cleaning and painting ( primer, final color ). Without seeing them my ballpark( pulled from the rear hole ) would be 800 to 1,000. I bet someone from this site that does steel fab will have a better number before morning. I would like see some pictures after your done. :)
Glulam beams, just burning the decorative brackets, knocking off the dross and stacking on the pallet for pickup, no other finishing.....
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
"Better to attempt great things and fail than to live in the gray twilight where there is neither victory or defeat"
Old Ironworker
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Old Ironworker »

Ok, Then my ballpark is HIGH. With drawing time, cut time, remove dross ( 600 to 750 ). Some of Reg. shops around here quote $50 to $70hr, just to look. If someone came to me for repair project ( I use base hour $$ to cover me ). Something bigger , I add to cover.
JJsCustomDesigns
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by JJsCustomDesigns »

I would bid $1976.40 + a few hours shop labor to clean em up.
"There are bigger things planned for you in your life, be patient"

Im on the prowl for a good used Hypertherm Plasma with hand torch.
PM me with details
Thanks
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

Good bid JJ! I bid $1850 and he's going to throw in 2 sheets of 1/4" plate for me... I start cutting tomorrow morning. I used the spreadsheet from here for my initial numbers and bumped them a bit for shop time and material handling. Now to get it done!

Oldsarge
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”