shipping companies/websites

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
bigcreek
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

shipping companies/websites

Post by bigcreek »

What shipping companies do you guys use? I use UPS on all smaller packages and use two brokers to get quotes from shipping companies. One broker is Echo and one is Freightcenter. I use Echo most of the time because they usually secure me better rates. Companies that move my packages are YRC, Estes, Fedex, OD, R&L, etc. I use R&L 75% of the time. My broker on Friday got some quotes for me and the cheapest was $2000 to ship a crate. I went straight to the R&L website and it quoted me like $4000 or something so my broker does get me better rates than me going straight to the shipping companies. Im going somewhere with all this but bear with me for just a bit longer. Several months ago my broker hooked me up with a outfit to haul a package for me which was $1600 to ship. I figured on a semi showing up but a pickup with a 30' flatbed rolled in to get it. Im like who the heck are you? Well turns out he was a sort of sub contractor hauler. He did a great job BTW in getting my package across the country in a timely fashion. Well I got to thinking there has to be a website that hooks up small shippers like him with customers like me. I just found the website USHIP.com from the tv show "shipping wars". I thought Id try it out so put up a package on their just today. This is the package that R&L quoted me around $4000 to ship and my broker quoted me $2000 to ship. Well one shipping company already put a bid in on it for $1525 which is obviously substantially less than what my broker quoted me! Hopefully some others chime in before it expires in 3 days and I can get the rate even lower. Has any of you guys ever used USHIP.com or know of any other websites like it? What has been your experience with them?
jmsrbrt
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: shipping companies/websites

Post by jmsrbrt »

My gut says stay away from Jared. :lol:
Torchmate 2 with ATHC & Water table
Corel 12, Turbo Cad
TD Cutmaster 51
San Marcos, Texas
bigcreek
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by bigcreek »

Ha! Thanks for the tip.
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

Interesting information. I thought about looking into that Uship site after seeing the TV show but never did. I don't know how you could go wrong. I would make sure you know all the rules and regulations first. Once you start receiving bids do you have to take the lowest? or even ship with them at all? I am assuming it is like a reverse auction and once listed you are committed!
Let us know how this works out for you.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
cindy carlisle
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by cindy carlisle »

We used Uship a couple of times in the past. You can choose or take the item down if you don't like the direction the auction is going in. Generally we use UPS Freight :D for our customers.
Cindy
http://www.trucutcnc.com
615-290-6260
bigcreek
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by bigcreek »

Ok so a little update. I dont know how some people get the rates they do. The uship thing ran its course and I had 4 bids. The lowest came in at $1355. That is by far much much cheaper than any carrier quoted me and here is the thing, after talking to the company whom I awarded the bid to it turns out they are a broker I have dealt with several times in the past. They do a good job but I stopped dealing with them because their quotes were higher than others. They are only a 3rd party and the actual carrier is UPS. Crazy. Well so far so good.
tnbndr

Post by tnbndr »

Yeah, that is crazy. They must somehow work out a volume price with UPS. Who knows and do we care as long as you get a good shipping rate and they don't jag you around.
Is this for shipping that 18 footer you have posted on the other forum?
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
bigcreek
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by bigcreek »

That is the one Dennis. I dropped this one off at the terminal instead of them picking it up and they loaded it right up from my trailer to theirs so here we go I guess.
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

What was the distance you were shipping?

Steve
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
bigcreek
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by bigcreek »

It was around 2500 miles. Idaho to Ontario, Canada. I dont remember exact mileage though.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”