How about our own kind of Convention?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Buzzard Gut
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

How about our own kind of Convention?

Post by Buzzard Gut »

This is Mrs. Buzzard Guts and I have been wondering why we don't have our own kind of convention? Think of the questions you could get answered and the stuff we could learn. Just getting someone to teach short classes on design and bringing in images! I would personally sign up for every class! If we had people that had the time to teach some of the different machines and settings, I think there would be great interest. Get the Reps from all the machines, software and finishings to help out. I would love to help, and I'm sure there would be other people as well. maybe have it in Reno or Vegas or where ever... Just a thought.... would love input on the subject...Thanks, Pam
The older I get, The better it was!
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: How about our own kind of Convention?

Post by jimcolt »

If we could arrange an annual "spider" convention I would be there to provide seminars, live displays, demos, etc. regarding all facets of plasma cutting....

Jim Colt
Charlieboy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Charlieboy »

That would be awesome!!
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

I am for it! That'd be awesome!
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
Buzzard Gut
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Buzzard Gut »

This is the kind of responses I was hoping for but need lots more.... Jim thank you!
Mr.Dirt
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Mr.Dirt »

sounds great to me
Countrylane
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Countrylane »

great idea!!!
hinesigns
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by hinesigns »

For the last 22 years I have belonged to a group called LETTERHEADS.
What a group from all over the world. I an another signie hosted 2 of these meets in new Brunswick. They were there from Ausi, California China & from every state imaginable. 163 showed up the first meet we hosted & we fed em all 3 squares & supplied all the paint & anything else they needed. The sponsors cointributed $60,000.00 in material & prizes.
I have been to meets in Cali. Colorado, Banff & 30 some other meets. We charged $150.00 for the 3 days & brought in some of the best sign people in the world. When it was over.....we had all learned something & taught something to others. go to letterville.com & look back through some of the photos of the meets over the years.
There are no officers.
If you want any more info & I can help, let me know. Each area, East, West, North & south could put something together in their area, making travel a little easier.
Bob http://www.hinesigns.ca
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

I would go to something like this, provided I had ample notice and could get away from the shop (which unfortunately wouldn't be a problem at the moment). :(

Regardless, I am interested. If I can facilitate anything let me know.
Shane
dewser
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by dewser »

Sounds Great to me.... Hopefully close to Montana LOL
Largemouthlou
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Largemouthlou »

Always interested. The hardest two parts are picking a date and central location.. 2 different locations sometimes works but then there are 2 dates to pick that works for the manufactures, if they are there people will come!!

If Jim is there I will do my damdest to be there for sure.. I want to shake his hand for all the help given!!
1250 hypertherm
4 X 8 Precision Plasma
CandCnC electronics
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

I'd also be interested.
When I was working, I used to attend an annual "Users Group" for the 3D software that we used to design and fabricate HVAC jobs. They had multiple seminars hourly all day long, nightly get togethers hosted by various sponsors with food and drinks for several hours. But the most knowledge gained was from the hallway meetings and conversations with other users from across the country. Definitely worth every penny the company spent in sending us there.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
grindergary
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by grindergary »

I would be very interested.

Gary
4x8 Home made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
4x8 Home Router made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
Candcnc DHCTII Electronics
Hypertherm Powermax 105 machine torch
Sheetcam, Mach 3
Corel Draw 8, V Carve Pro
Miller CTS 280 Miller Mig
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

If someone is interested in setting up something like this I would bring some plasma cutting equipment and would make Hypertherm sponsor a dinner at least one night. Some other suppliers of course could jump in as well, heck....even my plasma competitors could participate!

Jim Colt Hypertherm
icmplasma85
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by icmplasma85 »

First round of drinks is on me.........wait, how many people will be there? :lol:
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hypertherm Powermax 65
Millermatic 211 MIG Welder
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's a great idea and may be best to incorporate this into an already existing annual trade show to give the members more for their money and time away from their business. Obviously Hypertherm is already on board and I thank you Jim for your generosity and willingness to participate. Give me some time on this and I will see what I can come up with. Any thoughts and ideas are welcome, I have never planned anything like this before :?
conradestrada
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by conradestrada »

I would definitely attend it would not be hard to get vendors to sponsor a lot of it! Coming from law enforcement and emergency management background we put on a lot of conferences. Vendors would flock to that to set up their equipment and teach in breakout sessions. Not that hard to coordinate something like that! Keep us posted.
Garysbiz
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Garysbiz »

Count me in!
Moesicard
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Moesicard »

I would be more than willing to get involved with calling the manufacturers to try and get them involved. I would travel anywhere within the continental US to attend. Could you imagine the knowledge there if there were nothing but our members alone attending. Now add in the fact that we would have the oppertunity to see the different CNC cutting tables in action and the chance to learn from the company reps. We could bring in the air dryer companies, different plasma cutter companies, ect, ect. The possibilities are endless. This would be a home run. If we are seriously considering this please send me a private message and a possible location. Not sure if we could find a location where we would be able to do the live demos without insurance problems becoming a factor and air quality would be something else to consider. But I am all in just get with me on so we can start the process. The New Orleans, LA area offers a few options and if chosen as a possible destination I could really get involved.

Moe
Plasmacam DHC2 4x4
DesignEdge Software
Advance Height Control
Hypertherm Powermax 600
Homemade 5x10 CNC table
Homemade 4x4 CNC table
Hypertherm Powermax 350
Miller Spectrum 2050
Mach 3
Sheetcam
RGR
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by RGR »

Sounds like a great idea....Hopefully it will be somewhere other than vegas...Somewhere more centrally located in the US...Other than that I think this has some great potential
d bushey
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by d bushey »

I'm in and don't care where it is . Been thinking about this and it should get a big turnout.
MetalheadRK
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by MetalheadRK »

I think this would be awesome! If at all possible we would be there!! keep us posted!

Richard & Kemarie
Metalheadrk
4x4 PlasmaCam
Hypertherm 45
Eastwood 175 MIG welder
Buzzard Gut
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Buzzard Gut »

Wow guys, this is what I was hoping for! I have been to Reno Hot August Nights several times and they have a livestock pavilion that has both indoor and outdoor facilities, with lots of parking. Not really central but just throwing it out there. Jim again thank you for the support! Admin. I am hoping that we can get a group of people for the different vendors, ect.. I think weather wise Sept, or October? Again just ideas to get going on...let me know .........more input please..Thanks
conradestrada

Post by conradestrada »

You may want to consider creating an Association and a non-profit status. You are gonna incur costs for the facility, food and other sorts. Then you are gonna have to charge an attendance fee to cover meals ect. A hospitality room will be given to the association by the hotel that can be hosted by a vendor for icebreakers and stuff like that after the daily seasons to network and stuff. It could be a little time consuming and possibly take a year to get it all set up right. You can negotiate with the hotel to get really good room rates if everyone agrees to stay at the same facility. Idea: The Orleans in Vegas large facility off the strip but really convenient for the conference the only problem is power and location for plasma cutting to occur. It may have to be done at a fair ground or outdoor venue. I would strongly encourage you to do it centrally Vegas Denver to ensure you get maximum attendance. Just thinking and thought I would try and provoke a little thought! I would love to see this happen!
billyeagley
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by billyeagley »

Great idea! I had thought about something similar, but not on such a grand scale.

What about in conjunction with SEMA in Las Vegas?!? Whenever, wherever, I am in! I guess a central location would make the most sense.

Let's do this!
PlasmaCAM 5x10 (Samson) - DesignEdge - Hypertherm Powermax 65

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”