21' Gate

Plasma Cutters can be used to make some amazing products & projects. Upload some pictures of projects you've completed using your plasma cutter.
BrianMick
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: 21' Gate

Post by BrianMick »

Great idea hauling it upright....so you can show off your work. (most people would haul that flat)
should catch a few eyes and hopefully maybe some more work.
Brian
bigcreek
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by bigcreek »

I haul it that way because I need to get a picture of it anyway before I pack it away because I like to get pictures of most of my work. It doesnt always happen but I try. Ive kicked out what I thought were some cool gates and signs before w/o getting pics and kicked myself later but you get so busy a fella doesnt always get around to it. And yes it does make for some very good advertising which has brought me business. To answer questions the hinge post I like to be 3/16 wall, sometimes 1/4, sometimes 1/8. The rest of the gate frame is either 14 or 16 gauge tubing and the artwork is 10 gauge. I built a gate about 3 years ago that was 15' wide. It was 5' + in height. I cut all the artwork from 3/16 plate with 12 gauge tubing frame, 1/4 wall tube on the hinge end. The gate was extremely heavy but it has only sagged 1/2" in all that time but that wasnt a problem because they were threaded adjustable hinges so you can straighten it out easy enough. That 3/16 helped to make the gate structurally strong, kind of like the webb on an I beam I suppose. Im guessing it weighs around 600 lbs or more. The hinges I use depend on the post. The hinges used for the "Land" gate were the kind that are weldable on one side and the other half of the hinge is a threaded 3/4" rod. This gate will hang from steel posts so the weldable half will weld to the posts and the threaded rod half went through the gate so it can be adjusted in and out, up and down. Price was $7000 + approximately $1000 shipping. Customer will supply the gate opener and will install themselves.
WinterFabrication
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by WinterFabrication »

Mannnnn that gate is a beauty!!!!!!!
http://www.facebook.com/WinterFabrication

Matt
CandCNC Ethercut
Precision Plasma Gantry
Hypertherm Powermax 45
blackandtan
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by blackandtan »

Thanks for the answers. Still an awesome gate.
Redneck
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Redneck »

VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!!!! Well done!!!!
Armotorsport
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Armotorsport »

Unreal, a credit to you
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Fantastic job, well done.

I was on a gravel road (acreage properties) a few weeks ago and passed by a single sliding gate like this but nowhere near the size, complexity or good looks of yours.

When you make these designs do you have to go by certain safety standards. Here in Australia I hear a lot about things like "pinch points" with profile cut designs where kids/people can stick there fingers, or whatever else they feel inclined to stick in there :D

What's the grey colouring on top of the darker background colour. I was thinking in one area it was a 2nd steel layer but in other areas it seems like a deliberate finishing method.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
bigcreek
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by bigcreek »

Hi Beefy I don't know what that gray is perhaps just different shades of the steel from the heat, you know how hot rolled steel is with it being a couple colors. Maybe that's it. As for pinch points I don't worry about it. I don't know how one can make art without there being some kind of pinch point or something where someone could theoretically hurt themselves. Maybe someone will sue me someday, whatever, but I cant really send a round steel ball so they cant pinch or scratch themselves. Then again they could drop it on their toe and Id be hosed so I think regardless there is always something that could happen sometime, somewhere, to someone but I don't worry about it. On the panels I keep openings under the size of what a 4" sphere could fit through but for the gates its all on the table.
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Thanks for the reply Bigcreek.

I like your way of thinking, you are dead right. There's always something someone can find to sue us for in todays world.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
Craig
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Craig »

Great piece thanks for sharing. Craig
Craig Johnson
nathankingathome
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by nathankingathome »

Would you consider selling the drawing files for the gate? Single use for my own personal property.

Nate
Bobcat320
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Bobcat320 »

Amazing work my friend, some day I hope to be 1/2 as good as all of you on here!!!
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hyperthem PM65
Edwards 25T Ironworker
Miller Mig, Tig, Stick & Portable

Why pierce it when you can punch it!
nathankingathome
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by nathankingathome »

Can I get quote for gate delivery to Dallas Texas
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

nathankingathome wrote:Can I get quote for gate delivery to Dallas Texas
You are probably better off contacting him through his website bigcreekmetalworks.com as he does not visit here regularly. Or private message him through this forum.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

Any guesses at how long that took to cut?
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by exapprentice »

Absolutly amazing, credit where credit is due, thats one piece of brilliant work and shows us what can be done :cry:

any chance you could tell me how you achieved the cut for the open lines :? did you just use the kerf width or did you dial in another cut to get the width of the open line to make it more visable, it definatly give the desired effect in the scene.
This has now set a goal for me to master andtry to achieve :oops:

thanks for posting :!:
Metal Storm
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Metal Storm »

hats off to u sir. problem is, now u have to top that...lol im sure u can. nice job
Metal Storm
by J.P. Janeway
nuke1jj@gmail.com
Plasma Cam DHC2
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 38

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutter Project Picture Gallery”