Edge Starts

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Edge Starts

Post by Ironken »

I have a JD2 4X4 that will be delivered at the beginning of the month. My current table (Swifty 2x2) uses a hobby edition of Libelulla software. With this software, I cannot do an edge start. I have these CNC tables for existing contract fab work that I do...that said, I am gearing up for the new table and trying to get the groundwork laid to eliminate hand cutting. Here's my scenario.....

I use 3x5x.250 rectangle tubing that is 46-1/2" long. On one side of the 5" face, in the middle, I need to cut a 16x4 opening. On the flip side 5" face I need to cut (for simplicities sake) a 3" wide and 9" long "U" shaped cutout beginning on each end of the tubing and extending 9" toward the center of the 46-1/2" rec tube. Can this edge start operation be performed on the JD2 table with Sheetcam?

Any ideas, suggestions or dirty looks are appreciated!
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Edge Starts

Post by tcaudle »

Did you discuss this with JD2 when you bought the table? Edge starting is not particularly difficult but perhaps what you really want is to do rectangular rotary cutting with continuous cut,(aka tubing cutter) You can do that with SheetCAM and its Rotary Plasma plugin provided you have a rotary axis.. Starting the torch off of the material has a couple of challenges: 1. Where do you do the touch off to get the initial height? 2. When and how do you want the THC to turn on and when do you want it to auto sample the volts? Edge start (off the material) is a manual process.
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

Thank you Tom. I did not discuss this with JD2 as this is not a deal breaker. A rotary tube cutter is slick but not cost effective YET. I have a lot of other work for this machine and wanted to see if I could cut a fat hog with some edge starts. I guess what I can do is leave the tube a bit long, cut the features into the tube and trim the ends to length on the bandsaw opening up the cuts. I have zero experience with sheetcam so, there will be a learning curve for me.
Ryan.tech
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Ryan.tech »

You can edge start with the table. I was edge starting 1" with a Hypertherm 85 on our 4x4 with no issues. All you will need to do is lock out Torch height control when you start the cut to keep the torch from diving.

Ryan
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

Ryan.tech wrote:You can edge start with the table. I was edge starting 1" with a Hypertherm 85 on our 4x4 with no issues. All you will need to do is lock out Torch height control when you start the cut to keep the torch from diving.

Ryan
I'll give it a try. Thank you Ryan!

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”