Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Inside corner radius path effects

Post by adbuch »

djreiswig wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:22 pm
adbuch wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:33 pm
djreiswig wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:29 pm Does inkscape have a fillet tool?
Yes - that is what TJ is attempting to use. It works great on outside fillets, but I'm not sure it will work for inside fillets. I will check this out later this evening at get back to you.

David
Can't you break the path at the small sides and then they'll both be outside fillets. Then join them back together. I'm not an inkscape expert, so maybe this isn't possible.
djreiswig - take a look my previous post above where I show how to do the inside corner fillet.

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

djreiswig wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:22 pm
adbuch wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:33 pm
djreiswig wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:29 pm Does inkscape have a fillet tool?
Yes - that is what TJ is attempting to use. It works great on outside fillets, but I'm not sure it will work for inside fillets. I will check this out later this evening at get back to you.

David
Can't you break the path at the small sides and then they'll both be outside fillets. Then join them back together. I'm not an inkscape expert, so maybe this isn't possible.
Djreiswig, I'm not sure that I understand what you mean by "break the path at the small sides". Perhaps you could draw a sketch to show us what you have in mind. Thanks,
David
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

Break the short lines on the top and left of the L. Then you have 2 open paths in an L shape. Both are open contours. Then apply the fillet to each. Then re join the broken paths.
Maybe this isn't possible in inkscape.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

djreiswig wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:03 am Break the short lines on the top and left of the L. Then you have 2 open paths in an L shape. Both are open contours. Then apply the fillet to each. Then re join the broken paths.
Maybe this isn't possible in inkscape.
radius 15.jpg
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

radius 15~2.jpg
radius 15~2.jpg (52.77 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
TJS
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by TJS »

David,
I followed your last post. I am going to see if I can try and get it to work. I think this is way too much playing around to make a simple part in inkscape. Again, I am not a node guru. I am sure there are other programs out there that would allow me to do this in an easier fashion. Thanks.
T.J.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

djreiswig wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:24 am radius 15~2.jpg
The fillets can be added without breaking the lines. If you take a look at my previous post you will see how to do it. Of course if you don't use Inkscape you are probably using a more "user friendly" program like CorelDraw which will do this very quickly. Thanks for you ideas!

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

TJS wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:29 pm David,
I followed your last post. I am going to see if I can try and get it to work. I think this is way too much playing around to make a simple part in inkscape. Again, I am not a node guru. I am sure there are other programs out there that would allow me to do this in an easier fashion. Thanks.
T.J.
TJ - This is the simplest method I have found to accomplish what you want using Inkscape. Now that I know how to do it, I could draw up your "L Bracket" in several minutes. Very quick to do with practice. Otherwise you might consider Fusion 360, which is free and will do this pretty quickly. If you want I will show you how to do it with Fusion 360. Thanks for taking the time to follow my "tutorial" and let me know if you have specific questions.

David
TJS

Post by TJS »

This is the best I can get it. I am pretty close.

bracket.jpg
F250pushbarmount1.svg
(50.19 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

TJS wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:50 pm This is the best I can get it. I am pretty close.

bracket.jpg

F250pushbarmount1.svg
TJ - this looks great! I will take a look at your actual file later this evening to check it out in detail. I also had a few other ideas to accomplish with possibly fewer steps. I will try those out as well and report back.

David
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

adbuch wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:57 pm
The fillets can be added without breaking the lines. If you take a look at my previous post you will see how to do it. Of course if you don't use Inkscape you are probably using a more "user friendly" program like CorelDraw which will do this very quickly. Thanks for you ideas!

David
Many different ways to accomplish the same results.
C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

djreiswig wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:38 pm
adbuch wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:57 pm

David
Many different ways to accomplish the same results.
My point was that breaking the lines involves extra steps which are not necessary. But yes - as Tom often says - "there are many ways to skin a cat".

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

TJS wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:50 pm This is the best I can get it. I am pretty close.

bracket.jpg

F250pushbarmount1.svg
TJ - this looks great! The radius on the two corners don't exactly match, but it is hard to tell from just looking at it. And now that I know that this is a push bar mount, that inside radius really doesn't matter as long as it is a smooth transition - as opposed to a sharp corner.

Here is a comparison of your original file as drawn vs. the edited file with matching radii.
tj1.jpg
Here it the edited file just in case you are interested to compare them.
F250pushbarmount1 rev 1.svg
(50.99 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
Also - here is a quick method to create your part with matching inside and outside radii.

David
tj2.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

TJ - just for fun I drew your part using Fusion 360. It's pretty easy to do, and you can change your dimensions on the fly by clicking on any dimension and then editing the value in the dimension box.
tj3.jpg
tj4.jpg
I exported as dxf and opened with Design Edge to check it out.
tj5.jpg
So TJ, if you get too frustrated with Inkscape you could always give Fusion 360 a try. It is free and may be worth taking a look.

David
TJS

Post by TJS »

Wow. I was very close to what you did in the quickest way with the two squares and the "difference" now that is a short cut to the desired result.
Thanks. When I get a chance, I will look at the Fusion 360. I will be cutting out 4 of these plates to make 2 weldments. I will space the plates out about 2" apart and then cut 2 strips the length of each opening and weld it together as a "curved rectangular tube". I was going to do this with Weld "els" but decided to go this route.
T.J.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

TJS wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:08 am Wow. I was very close to what you did in the quickest way with the two squares and the "difference" now that is a short cut to the desired result.
Thanks. When I get a chance, I will look at the Fusion 360. I will be cutting out 4 of these plates to make 2 weldments. I will space the plates out about 2" apart and then cut 2 strips the length of each opening and weld it together as a "curved rectangular tube". I was going to do this with Weld "els" but decided to go this route.
T.J.
Hi TJ - It sounds like you are on the right track. I looked up weld els and it looks like these are pre-bent tubes for welding. You went another route. Yes - as we went along with this project we "homed in" on the shortest way to do it. Lots of thinking and figuring for both of us. You gave me some great tips about path, difference that I had not thought of. I don't normally use Inkscape for these sorts of tasks, but it is good to know how to do it and this may help others looking similar information.

The one thing I don't like about Fusion 360 is that it is "cloud based", and as such is sometimes incredibly slow to load and do certain operations. Inkscape in installed on our computers, and normally responds very quickly - although I have managed to crash it lately trying to do certain operations.

Good luck with your project and be sure to show us some photos of your final result.

David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

As usual with PS member when a question is asked there are answers given. The level of tutorials and discussion is very active. :Like
I like to say when you have a problem allow you mind to wander, the lets see what this does can be helpful. :Yay
As David said answering another's question helps you to learn. PS's collective knowledge is getting larger. :Like
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

I agree with AC 100%. I have been a member here for many years, needed and received a lot of help at first and now I try to help other new comers as it can be a struggle at first. I don't lean on PS for help much anymore but every time I log in I learn new techniques and see others creative ideas which I find very beneficial. Great site :Like
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

TJS wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:08 am Wow. I was very close to what you did in the quickest way with the two squares and the "difference" now that is a short cut to the desired result.
T.J.
TJ - Here is another free drawing program that is pretty simple to use. It's a basic drawing program - lines, circles, fillets, shapes, etc. I've had it for awhile now and actually got it for the auto tracing feature. But you might find it easier to use than Inkscape for drawing simple mechanical shapes like the one you just finished.
Protomax 1.jpg
Protomax 2.jpg
Here is the download link.

https://www.omax.com/libraries/omax/download/

Here is the online user's manual.

https://knowledgebase.omax.com/protomax ... 0%7C_____0
Protomax 3.jpg
Protomax 4.jpg
Here are some very useful software videos showing how to use the program.

https://knowledgebase.omax.com/protomax ... E%7C_____0
Protomax 5.jpg
I drew a part very similar to yours just to try it out. Then I saved as dxf and opened the file with Design Edge to check it out.
Protomax 6.jpg
Just another idea for a simple mechanical drawing program.

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

SolidEdge 2D Drafting is another one I would recommend. As I recall - I think Rokcrler and several other members either use this program or have recommended it.
SolidEdge 1.jpg
It has a Smart Dimension feature like Fusion 360 so you can dynamically edit your dimensions as needed.
SolidEdge 2.jpg
I find SolidEdge 2D much quicker to use than Protomax Layout - so if you were going to check one out to see if you like it then this is the one I would recommend.
SolidEdge 3.jpg
SolidEdge 4.jpg
SolidEdge 5.jpg
SolidEdge 5.jpg (26.82 KiB) Viewed 992 times
I saved the drawing from SolidEdge 2D as dxf and opened it with Design Edge to check it out.
SolidEdge 6.jpg
Here is the free download link.

David

https://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/ ... ree-2d-cad

SolidEdge 7.jpg
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Thanks guys another shortcut icon on the desktop :Like :HaHa
FReeCAD downloads.JPG
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
ROKCRLER
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ROKCRLER »

David, I do use SE but I use the 3D version more than the 2D, only because i forget that its there (draft) :HaHa
The 3D version has both, but the 2D is only 2D.
I too started with Inkscape for tabs and brackets until i realized dynamic changes made it easier in SE.
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

ROKCRLER wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:40 am David, I do use SE but I use the 3D version more than the 2D, only because i forget that its there (draft) :HaHa
I too started with Inkscape for tabs and brackets until i realized dynamic changes made it easier in SE.
Rokcrler - in the 2D version do you know if there is a way to save only the drawing portion without the boarder?
Thanks,
David
no border.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

ROKCRLER wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:40 am David, I do use SE but I use the 3D version more than the 2D, only because i forget that its there (draft) :HaHa
Rokcrler - I made the transition from SolidWorks to Fusion 360 a few years ago, and normally only use it for solid modeling for 3D printing. It seems like I remember trying the SE 3D version a while back, but was having difficulty exporting the dxf 2D files - and I also think I remember it hanging up on me quite a bit - so I uninstalled it. Perhaps I will revisit it.

I was recommending the 2D version to TJ as I think it would be much easier to use for him if he is used to doing his work in 2D with Inkscape.

David
ROKCRLER

Post by ROKCRLER »

David,
In draft mode, click on VIEW and select 2D, once you have your part drawn, click save as and change file type to dxf and should be good.
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~

Return to “Inkscape”