Shop vac

Learn and share powder coating techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
Dirtmotor
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Shop vac

Post by Dirtmotor »

I was rereading manual on my new powder coat gun and it says do not use a shop vac to clean up powder , of course I have been and it works great it has a fine dust bag and a hepa filter . So are they worried about a static spark setting off the powder ? manual did not give a reason.
martyy
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Shop vac

Post by martyy »

Dirtmotor wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:34 pm I was rereading manual on my new powder coat gun and it says do not use a shop vac to clean up powder , of course I have been and it works great it has a fine dust bag and a hepa filter . So are they worried about a static spark setting off the powder ? manual did not give a reason.
I believe that is exactly what they are worried about. Real world scenario, no idea what those risks are. Depending on humidity, I have gotta a heck of a static jolt from a shop vac, but unless there is a ton of powder I would think the risk would be very low.
Dirtmotor
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Dirtmotor »

Hmmm , so maybe I wrap a bare copper wire from end of hose to the vac then clip it to the ground rod ?
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Let me see the powder spray from the gun does not get set off when you get the tip close to the metal and a spark happens. :HaHa :HaHa
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Dirtmotor
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Dirtmotor »

True , they caution about that also .Just don't want my shop to be up in smoke .
kicktillmonday
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kicktillmonday »

I had no idea about that concern. For years the first thing I do is put the tip close the metal to make sure I see a good spark to know my ground is good. I'm wouldn't be concerned at all.
DIY 4x8 table
Powermax 65

Return to “Powder Coat”