Issue with hyperthem powermax 45 xp on premier plasma table

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Nozzilla
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Issue with hyperthem powermax 45 xp on premier plasma table

Post by Nozzilla »

Hello all,

I'm completely new to plasma cutting and cnc plasma tables, so I apologize in advance If my issue is something simple.

Okay so my equipment: hypertherm powermax 45 xp, premier plasma table 5x10, proma thc, the software im using is punch! ViaCad, sheetcam, and mach3.
(Also this was all purchased together used)

My external psi during a pressure check is around 100 and internal is at 70psi. I do have a gauge at the rear of the unit and air filter and regulator on my air line. The hose is a 3/8 at 25 feet.

Okay so my issue I'm having is when I run a cut, if it's a small simple design it cuts perfectly fine. If i do something a bit more detailed or larger with longer cuts, the torch will stop firing about half way or so through the program, but the table continues to run the code. If this happens closer to the end of a cut it will finish that cut with the torch off and then go up re-probe for the next cut and the torch works like nothing even happen. Normally this isn't the case and will not re-fire unless I turn it off and back on. As for fault lights and codes, this is where it gets interesting. The system fault led is on (yellow) and ac led is on (green) and the fault code will show 10-0 and go back to showing the amps. Ive tried going through the manual and searched online for the fault code but doesnt seem to exist. The lights do stay on until the unit is restarted. Ive been having this issues since I've had it(about 2 months) I've been cutting on a sheet of 16 gauge.

I made a quick little video showing the issue I'm having and the fault code: https://youtube.com/shorts/m3-hdFkXdB4?feature=shared

If anyone has any idea of what's going on or any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Issue with hyperthem powermax 45 xp on premier plasma table

Post by weldguy »

That one has me stumped, hopefully it's not a major internal issue. I think you are best to contact Hypertherm on this one, as you mentioned that fault does not even exist in the manual. Let us know what you find out.
tinspark
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tinspark »

Nozzilla wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:40 pm

My external psi during a pressure check is around 100 and internal is at 70psi. I do have a gauge at the rear of the unit and air filter and regulator on my air line. The hose is a 3/8 at 25 feet.

If anyone has any idea of what's going on or any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it.
Can you sustain 85 PSI minimum at your gauge attached directly to you Hypertherm 45XP during long cuts?
Also, what CFM does is your compressor rated at?

70 psi at the Hypertherm is likely a little too low.
Try cranking it up to about 85 psi during a long cut which may require you to crank the air pressure up to 110 psi or so while the machine is idle, and watch your gauge at the Hypertherm unit (not tank pressure) and see what pressure you have during longer cuts..

Below is from the 45XP manual:
Recommended gas inlet
flow rate/pressure
Cutting 188.8 L/min at 5.9 bar (400 scfh at 85 psi)
Last edited by tinspark on Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Height Control/Advanced DesignEdge
Hypertherm 45XP-
Logan Lathe + myriads of other shop toys
**CAUTION**- "Does Not Play Well With Others" :)
Nozzilla
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Nozzilla »

Thank you for the response, I might have worded it incorrectly but I have about 90 psi on the gauge at the rear of the inlet consecutively while cutting, my regulator is at 110 psi, when I mention 70 I was talking about the manual psi mode setting on the system, I believe it will only go between 65-76 psi, not sure the exact numbers but definitely couldn't go over 76. I do believe I found the issue though. I was reading through the owners manual and couldn't find the codes I was seeing, but I found a service manual today which contained codes with 10-0. I unhooked my plasma cutter from the table and ran It with the hand torch and also got a 3-? Code. The fault went away to quickly to see the full code. So I found the fault code 3-10-0 and 3-10-1 which are fan speed to low and fan fault. I removed the fan and tested it to a 12v power supply and the fan would not turn on. I also put it back into the cutter and hooked power to it and couldn't get the fan to turn on. So I believe the fan has gone out. I have one ordered and on the way, hopefully that will fix my issue.
tinspark

Post by tinspark »

Nozzilla wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:43 pm Thank you for the response, I might have worded it incorrectly but I have about 90 psi on the gauge at the rear of the inlet consecutively while cutting, my regulator is at 110 psi, when I mention 70 I was talking about the manual psi mode setting on the system, I believe it will only go between 65-76 psi, not sure the exact numbers but definitely couldn't go over 76. I do believe I found the issue though. I was reading through the owners manual and couldn't find the codes I was seeing, but I found a service manual today which contained codes with 10-0. I unhooked my plasma cutter from the table and ran It with the hand torch and also got a 3-? Code. The fault went away to quickly to see the full code. So I found the fault code 3-10-0 and 3-10-1 which are fan speed to low and fan fault. I removed the fan and tested it to a 12v power supply and the fan would not turn on. I also put it back into the cutter and hooked power to it and couldn't get the fan to turn on. So I believe the fan has gone out. I have one ordered and on the way, hopefully that will fix my issue.
:Like :Like :Like :Like
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Height Control/Advanced DesignEdge
Hypertherm 45XP-
Logan Lathe + myriads of other shop toys
**CAUTION**- "Does Not Play Well With Others" :)
TJS

Post by TJS »

This is great diagnosis. Thanks for sharing.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

I would suggest working with Hypertherm tech service on diagnosing the fan, though it sounds like you may be right. I would also suggest that you increase the minimum inlet air pressure to 100 to 120 psi, and be sure you monitor this with a gauge mounted right at the inlet, and check this gauge when air is flowing at the torch (dynamic pressure, not static pressure) Jim Colt
Nozzilla
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Nozzilla »

So I've been in contact with hypertherm. They told me my original diagnosis sounded accurate and suggested I replace the fan. I replaced the fan and verified that the new fan was operating properly. After running the machine for a few times I got the same issue with same fault codes. I spoke with hypertherm again and they said if I changed the fan and the fan was operating then it is more than likely the power board. So I'm currently trying to find a shop near me that can do repairs. Thank you everyone for the help.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”