Little Donkey

Share, browse, & download dxf, svg, or other vector based designs. If you take be sure to give back.
Pspider Support
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Little Donkey

Post by Pspider Support »

Joe Jones wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:33 pm I know it would be a LOT of work to present 2D vector file images as skewed 3D images, but it would go a LONG way toward reducing or eliminating the "Why PAY for it when I can STEAL IT?" philosophy practiced by ... so many. :roll:

I have time to help if you need it. I can take a folder of images, and produce skewed 3D images of the files using V-Carve when time allows.
Thanks Joe, I appreciate the offer and may take you up in that :Like
Pspider Support
Contact Me via PM
Pspider Support
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

caretech wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:54 pm I've been observing the new vector previews and decided it was either a new site feature or an admin was doing it manually.

From my experience with tech (I've worked with IT / systems administration for > 10 years, hence the username chosen), if this process isn't automated it's not likely to be kept up. I don't know how extensible this forum is, but if custom scripting would run on DXF / SVG uploads, creating a slightly extruded and rotated preview and displaying this image in the post, that would be much more sustainable. Human efforts are great but we grow tired of doing repetitive busy-work jobs that computers could and should be able to do for us via automation.

Disclaimer: I'm only speaking generally here. I don't have phpBB experience and don't know if it could run custom scripts on file upload. I don't know what software you'd call via this script. I realize that doing this could have security implications, if it would be possible for malicious actors to upload a carefully crafted file that exploits vulnerabilities in the processing software. At the end of the day, if the mods actually have time to manually create dxf previews and edit posts, I won't stand in their way.
It is a manual process and am unable to find any way to automate it unfortunately. In the end I believe the human involvement in producing the images will provide better results. This is nothing new, have been doing it for years, just producing IMO better looking images now that are far more difficult for people to auto trace. All shared designs moving forward will be in this format, and although we may never get to all of the designs shared in our community over the last 14 years, we will certainly continue to work on them and continue to build this new library as big as we can. It will be a constant work progress.
Pspider Support
Contact Me via PM
Pspider Support
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

djreiswig wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:47 pm Admin, thank you for doing a great job hosting this wonderful place for us to meet and share ideas.
I look forward to the library area. I think it will be a great addition and make the shared artwork much easier for us artistically individuals to utilize.
Thank you very much djreiswig, I appreciate that, and your very welcome.
Pspider Support
Contact Me via PM
Pspider Support
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Joe Jones wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:03 pm
Pspider Support wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:58 pm
Joe, my post was in response to the posts quoted above. Curious what your thoughts are.
You have a MASSIVE library of awesome art files on this website. I have tried, unsuccessfully, to download them, one ... by .... one ... into a folder. I don't use art files much, if at all, but it is nice to have them to use for IDEAS. I then draw my own art files.

I know what things cost. I know I will not be "popular" here by saying, I surely hope you CHARGE for access to this organized library of art files! Fifty bucks is nothing in today's economy. I think a $50.00 annual fee is more than fair! That is less than a dollar a week, for access to THOUSANDS of vector and art files. A real bargain, IMHO.

People may say, "It isn't worth it, because I won't USE all of those files!" Well ... How about just supporting PlasmaSpider? How often do you come here? I tend to visit this place several times per day. Bandwidth. Administration. TIME IN MONEY!

This is not a casual weekend side gig for him. This is how he makes his living. This is how he feeds his family! Yes, he ASKS for, but does not DEMAND a very modest $20.00 annual fee to access PlasmaSpider and the ability to download any file as they were previously available. There ... but requiring a massive HUNT to find them. Now he is going to organize them (I can surely help with that!) and make them easier to find, and available for download? Count me in!

Joe
Thanks Joe, you have some good points. This is a no cost feature that will be available to all Elite Contributing Members as appreciation for their contributions to the community. Our membership numbers have grown over the years but sadly many of these members do not participate in helping answer questions, provide advice, share designs, etc. and we aim to change that in 2024.

I believe this feature will be something that will interest everyone, and all Contributing members will have the ability to gain access to this feature, however they need to be approved for the Elite Contributing member group. Members can request to join the group and we will review their posts and approve or disapprove based on whether they meet the criteria. It won't be much, but in period of time yet to be determined the member will have to provide help to someone, share an original design, share advice, anything positive for the community.

I appreciate your willingness to help in this effort Joe. Here is a little peak showing a few of the categories you can click on to drop down the screen and show all the designs on the selected category.

Library.png

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Pspider Support
Contact Me via PM
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

What's with the colored crosshairs in the center? Is that part of the anti tracing?
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

djreiswig wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:15 pm What's with the colored crosshairs in the center? Is that part of the anti tracing?
No. The 2D image was brought into 3D software and the shape was EXTRUDED on the Z axis to give it a thickness, and create the double boundary that is variable around the design.

The crosshairs are the X,Y, and Z references in the 3D software.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

I see, so it's a screenshot of the design screen. I suppose those could be hidden in the program. Might look nicer.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

AryaKay wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:13 am
adbuch wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:29 am
When I open your svg file with Inkscape 1.2.2 - this is what I see. Normally when I assign colors to objects and save the file, the colors are still the same when I reopen the file. Your file opened with black fill color (for me). For plasma cutting it doesn't matter, but I'm just curious why if you assigned the color you show above - it didn't stay with the file.

little donkey inkscape screen shot.jpg
I forgot to answer you after I saw this with all the other chatter

the preview image is just to show the shape of the svg with shadows to look nice with my sig

i could put that in the svg but that would be dumb and this has turned into a 2 page thread about making the preview image different from the svg and that's basically why the image doesn't match the svg and like you said it doesn't matter, capeesh?
Yes - I understand. All the "other chatter" got us off track with your actual file. I was asking about the actual svg you posted, but my takeaway here is that your svg was saved with black fill color the way I see it when I open it. Thanks for your explanation.
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

djreiswig wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:13 pm I see, so it's a screenshot of the design screen. I suppose those could be hidden in the program. Might look nicer.
Depending of the software, the reference axes may be turned on or off.

origin on.jpg
origin off.jpg

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Different fill colors may be added for effect.
color added.jpg

Pspider Support
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Appreciate the input guys, still working out exactly how we want to look moving forward. I personally like the axis indicators, it give the viewer and idea of what angle the sample image is being displayed on and also adds a little more difficulty for folks trying to auto trace the designs.
adbuch wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:15 am Different fill colors may be added for effect.

color added.jpg
I like the blue David, great suggestion. So far have been playing mainly with metallic finishes but this a nice option and will certainly be considered before we decide on what were doing.
Pspider Support
Contact Me via PM
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Basically the same auto trace result either way.
same either way.jpg

Return to “DXF & SVG Plasma Cutting File Sharing Forum”