36X60 plasma table build

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
Mwmx54
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

36X60 plasma table build

Post by Mwmx54 »

As seen in the pic below, I have a plasma table designed, but I need some serious guidance on what controls to go with, I have a mill that I "built" converted to cnc, using an ESS Smoothstepper, and mach4, which I've had good luck with, but in the case of the plasma, the WarpRunner is a little on the pricey side, but I also learned I can use my mach4 license on both machines, so a little savings there. Im just not sure how much use this will get, and don't want to break the bank. so I am looking for alternatives, or advice on if I should stick to what I know... I think linux cnc would be cheapest, but when it comes to that, I have zero experience. If anyone has a recomendation, and can point me towards which software to use, and which controller and thc works well together, please chime in. I see a lot of options out there, but figuring out what works together has proven to hurt my brain. also, trying not to break the bank here. and I know ballscrews aren't ideal, but that's what I have, and will run it with a large nema34. One more quick note, Im sure I will cut thinner material, but most will be thicker(1/4"+) to go on the mill. the cutter I have is a cheapo machine with cnc ports.
One more thing, the myplasm kit with thc and ohmic sensing appears to be a decent deal, what I don't understand is how it says it doesn't use g-code, or changes it to something simpler.. does this mean I wouldn't be able to write a g-code program in fusion, and run it with that controller?
Thanks
plasma tablejpeg.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: 36X60 plasma table build

Post by Joe Jones »

That looks like a fun project. I will watch for developments.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

Looks great, I really enjoy seeing the DIY tables. I don't have any advice for you as to what electronics to go with but hopefully Tom (acourtjester) will chime in. He has plenty of DIY experience with both Mach and he has been experimenting with the Linux cnc stuff lately. Will follow your progress if you post it :Like
Mwmx54
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Mwmx54 »

Thanks, I plan to do YouTube vids and post the build here as well. I’m getting a bit overwhelmed with all the options, I like mach4, because I sort of know it, I’m no expert, but I have it working, so I could do it again. My big hold up is the cost of the warprunner, and I also have to get sheetcam, myplasm seems to be an all in one deal, but I worry I’d be locked into that software, which maybe is fine. My latest research has been the pokeys57cnc and plasmasens thc, they have 2 thc’s one seems to have a built in stepper driver. But it has plugins for mach4… so, inexpensivest option so far with mach4 that I already have a license for. Still need sheetcam though, sounds like there isn’t a machine post for mach4 in fusion360, which is fine, I can do sheetcam.
Edit: maybe pokeys isn’t as cheap as I thought, I was looking on pokeys website, which I believe is I. A foreign country, and it’s quite a bit cheaper there than cnc4pc, but international shipping…
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Just curious why on 3' wide on the cut area??
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

If you are trying to use Mach 4 with Fusion have you just tried to use another post processor as a test. Many time a post processor will just have different G-code commands and that is the only difference from another one. Some controllers can use other post processors fine. Testing is cheaper and you may fine a work around.
The THC with a built in stepper are classed as stand along type this will require an additional motor and mechanism. The other type routes the signal though the BOB to drive the Z axis alone.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Mwmx54
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Mwmx54 »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:10 am Just curious why on 3' wide on the cut area??
That's just kind of what I came up with, I don't want or have room for something huge, and I may try designing it so one end of the gantry is open, or can be easily opened, I'm just not sure I can make it rigid enough, I am going to mess with that when I start building it, then I could hang larger sheets off the side, I also think it would be neat if I could cantilever the whole table, or most of it, and have it slide under my Giant 4x8' workbench, but again, not sure I could make it rigid enough, maybe use some legs that fold up so that it can slide under, like in the picture.

As for which thc and software, I spent all night researching and am not much closer to a decision. options are myplasm with thc(not sure Id be able to use mach4) pokeys57cnc(turns out it isn't as cheap as I thought, as it needs all sorts of other boards to go with it) ESS with Warprunner(WarpRunner is expensive) mesa 7i76(need to look into it a bit more)

as for editing available posts, I could try that, but I have never done anything like that, and really have no idea what it entails. I wish they would just make one. there was one forum post of someone who tried, but I don't think was successful, maybe using sheet cam isn't as big a deal as I make it seem, just trying to minimize how much new software I have to buy and learn, my brain is running at full capacity as it is.
table sliding.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

If you go with the Mesa 7I96 software is free for the controller and you can add a THC to it to for about $79. With the Mesa card you only need to add drivers, power supplies and motors. And then buy SheetCam for the post processor, unless Fusion 360 have a post processor for linuxCNC. There is a guy on YouTube who lifts his table to the ceiling to get it out of the way.
Since you are in the pre-build stage you may want to give these guys a look.
https://www.youtube.com/@jdsgarage701
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
kn612
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by kn612 »

Myplasm has its own cam software so you could import your own dxf from whatever cad you use or use their minicad software. I couldn't see anywhere about it importing svg though, you'd probably need to use sheetcam or fusion for that. Myplasm looks really nice for what it is and the market it's aimed at.

A mesa 7i96s and a couple thcad2 would set you back around $300 the myplasm is $800. Then add $$$ for whatever power supplies, drivers, wiring etc.

Either way you can download myplasm and sheetcam to try out for free. Linuxcnc is a little more involved, the developers wrote a really good manual for qtplasmac however. It's the route I took and it goes toe to toe with another table I have that runs hypertherm controller and software.
Mwmx54
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Mwmx54 »

kn612 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:32 pm Myplasm has its own cam software so you could import your own dxf from whatever cad you use or use their minicad software. I couldn't see anywhere about it importing svg though, you'd probably need to use sheetcam or fusion for that. Myplasm looks really nice for what it is and the market it's aimed at.

A mesa 7i96s and a couple thcad2 would set you back around $300 the myplasm is $800. Then add $$$ for whatever power supplies, drivers, wiring etc.

Either way you can download myplasm and sheetcam to try out for free. Linuxcnc is a little more involved, the developers wrote a really good manual for qtplasmac however. It's the route I took and it goes toe to toe with another table I have that runs hypertherm controller and software.
yeah, automation tech I think I misunderstood the listing, it looks an awful lot like both the control and thc are included in this listing for $460. but I think your right, other places have it at $700+ https://www.automationtechnologiesinc.c ... ht-control
Mwmx54
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Mwmx54 »

acourtjester wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:44 pm If you go with the Mesa 7I96 software is free for the controller and you can add a THC to it to for about $79. With the Mesa card you only need to add drivers, power supplies and motors. And then buy SheetCam for the post processor, unless Fusion 360 have a post processor for linuxCNC. There is a guy on YouTube who lifts his table to the ceiling to get it out of the way.
Since you are in the pre-build stage you may want to give these guys a look.
https://www.youtube.com/@jdsgarage701
I wish I knew more about Arduino, I think I know a little from upgrading boards on my 3d printer, but there is an insane amount of info online for them, I never would have been able to figure it out if everything wasn't already done, and posted online with loads of documentation. but that is my kind of YouTube channel, very budget friendly content.
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Mwmx54 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:38 am
SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:10 am Just curious why on 3' wide on the cut area??
That's just kind of what I came up with, I don't want or have room for something huge, and I may try designing it so one end of the gantry is open, or can be easily opened, I'm just not sure I can make it rigid enough, I am going to mess with that when I start building it, then I could hang larger sheets off the side, I also think it would be neat if I could cantilever the whole table, or most of it, and have it slide under my Giant 4x8' workbench, but again, not sure I could make it rigid enough, maybe use some legs that fold up so that it can slide under, like in the picture.

my brain is running at full capacity as it is.
Thanks for the comeback,

I started with a 2x2 table and found I was spending more time processing the metal to fit in the table than cutting the part itself. It also led to more waste as you did not know what size of part was going to be cut. I would find a way to make it a 4' x rather it be hanging or hinging off a wall.

Your brain is only in Pre-Game warm up mode / the main event is just over the horizon :HaHa :HaHa
kn612

Post by kn612 »

Mwmx54 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:39 pm
kn612 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:32 pm Myplasm has its own cam software so you could import your own dxf from whatever cad you use or use their minicad software. I couldn't see anywhere about it importing svg though, you'd probably need to use sheetcam or fusion for that. Myplasm looks really nice for what it is and the market it's aimed at.

yeah, automation tech I think I misunderstood the listing, it looks an awful lot like both the control and thc are included in this listing for $460. but I think your right, other places have it at $700+ https://www.automationtechnologiesinc.c ... ht-control
Ah, I didn't see that link from automation tech. That's a good deal if it's all included. Bought a plasma controller from them on my first table.

https://www.automationtechnologiesinc.c ... xis-simcnc

That's what I went with. Gives you another option. Can run on mach3, mach4, and simcnc. Has an internal THC too.
Mwmx54
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Mwmx54 »

kn612 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:11 pm
Mwmx54 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:39 pm

Ah, I didn't see that link from automation tech. That's a good deal if it's all included. Bought a plasma controller from them on my first table.

https://www.automationtechnologiesinc.c ... xis-simcnc

That's what I went with. Gives you another option. Can run on mach3, mach4, and simcnc. Has an internal THC too.
Yeah I don't think that price includes the control board, pretty deceptive though, they have the control board listed on its own for $350. Did you run mach4 with the simcnc? I didn't even see simcnc, but it says internal thc also, did you also need a bob or any other boards with it? how did you like it? And is it just thc, no "ohmic sensing"?
Oh, and can the simcnc software take the place of sheet cam, If I opted to use mach4? or does simcnc take the place of mach4? I'm still wrapping my head around why so many different softwares are needed for plasma cutting. fusion, to sheet cam, to mach4.. I guess that's really just because there isn't a post for mach4 plasma, but still.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Keep doing the research, if you buy without being sure you could get burned, ask more questions. You are the first here talking about SimCNC, where is the manufactured, what is their support like. There are members using Myplasma electronics and software and it has THC also at a similar price.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
kn612

Post by kn612 »

I used mach3 with the cslabs csmio controller. I put it together early 2020 before I found this forum, I had no idea that other diy software existed. Didn't even know what Linux was. At the time cslabs hadn't released their simcnc plasma software.

No other breakout boards needed with the csmio. It's been a while but I think I even used the internal output relays to fire the torch. There isn't an integrated ohmic like the myplasm. You'd have to build your own such as an opto-isolated relay setup and wire it to an input. You'd still need cam software like sheetcam with simcnc too.

If you can get the myplasm for $460 that seems like the best route. It should have plenty of documentation for wire connections and software configurations. Building everything from scratch can get frustrating when one simple wiring or config change holds everything up.
Mwmx54
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Mwmx54 »

kn612 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:34 pm I used mach3 with the cslabs csmio controller. I put it together early 2020 before I found this forum, I had no idea that other diy software existed. Didn't even know what Linux was. At the time cslabs hadn't released their simcnc plasma software.

No other breakout boards needed with the csmio. It's been a while but I think I even used the internal output relays to fire the torch. There isn't an integrated ohmic like the myplasm. You'd have to build your own such as an opto-isolated relay setup and wire it to an input. You'd still need cam software like sheetcam with simcnc too.

If you can get the myplasm for $460 that seems like the best route. It should have plenty of documentation for wire connections and software configurations. Building everything from scratch can get frustrating when one simple wiring or config change holds everything up.
Yeah I don’t think I can get the myplasm with thc for 460, there is no way that’s right. I’ll send them an email, but I’m nearly certain that’s just the thc.
Mwmx54
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Mwmx54 »

Mwmx54 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:37 pm
kn612 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:34 pm I used mach3 with the cslabs csmio controller. I put it together early 2020 before I found this forum, I had no idea that other diy software existed. Didn't even know what Linux was. At the time cslabs hadn't released their simcnc plasma software.

Yeah I don’t think I can get the myplasm with thc for 460, there is no way that’s right. I’ll send them an email, but I’m nearly certain that’s just the thc.
Edit, they replied saying it does indeed come with both boards and the usb cable. So that is a pretty good option. Motion control, software, the and phonic for $480ish. But searching myplasm shows quite a few people who have posted saying they are switching from myplasm to something else for various reasons.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

DIY can be a little tuff I've been there with building 10 DIY tables and using different controller and software as I went along. I am not pushing Myplasma ( no dog in the fight) have not used them. Here is a guy who seems to be a heavy user and the post is 4 months old. You may try to contact him for a real person reaction.
many of his posts about Myplasma
https://www.youtube.com/@robbroomfield468/featured
Keep plugging your answer is out there.
Last edited by acourtjester on Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Mwmx54
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Mwmx54 »

acourtjester wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:40 am DIY can be a little tuff I've been there with building 10 DIY tables and using different controller and software as I went along. I am not pushing Myplasma ( no dog in the fight) have not used them. Here is a guy who seems to be a heavy user and the post is 4 months old. You may try to contact him for a real person reaction.
Keep plugging your answer is out there.
will do, I'll see how he likes it. thanks.
one thing I am a bit worried about with using fusion, is my export file type limits, I can't export dxf files in fusion, and I think that is what myplasm needs. maybe someone can chime in, screenshot shows my export options with the hobby fusion360 license. I think sheet cam is the same. so that's a problem. is there a work around for converting a fusion 3mf file to dxf? maybe grabcad has that capability, ill have to check. well I can't upload a pic for some reason now, tried jpeg, jpeg2000, pdf and png. all say http error.
my options for saving files in fusion are
f3d
3mf
ipt
fbx
obj
skp
smt
stp
stl
usdz
kn612

Post by kn612 »

Those are all 3d file types. You should be able to export or save just your 2d sketch as a dxf.
Mwmx54
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Mwmx54 »

kn612 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:17 pm Those are all 3d file types. You should be able to export or save just your 2d sketch as a dxf.
I think I got it now, I was trying to save and then export as dxf, but I can right click a sketch and save as dxf. I thought maybe fusion had removed that feature for the free version or something, but nope, it works fine.

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”