New and Struggling Some

If you are looking for help with a file conversion please post it here rather than in the file sharing forums.
Ingledink91
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

New and Struggling Some

Post by Ingledink91 »

Have tried several of the ready to cut files from the share forum with no luck. Ends up cutting circles in certain areas it shouldn’t. Any cheat sheet guidance to help me in right direction. I have Inkscape camsheet and candcmc
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: New and Struggling Some

Post by tcaudle »

Do You mean SheetCAM.

What files are you trying ot cut? Open the files in Inkscape with the VIEW as Outline mode. Drag selct all of the shoes and resize it to what you want for your cut.

Save it as an SVG file

Open sheetCAM and use the File menu and the IMPORT Drawing. Make sure the import type is set to SVG and 96DPI/

When you import inot SheetCAM it creates "Contours" taat you can move all together with the Contour tiil and position it on the material (always leave margins from the edge) and then you can select individual contours and right click and put them on a "Layer" Each layer lets you define HOW you want it cut . Typically you should at least put coutures that need in inside cut (cut inside the shape) and those needed an Outside cut on different layers.

Once you have the llayers defined (named) you do "Operations" on each layer. An Opertaion defines the tool, the parameters like the feedartes and things like the target volts (tool charts included correct target volts for each type of material and amp setting for all Hypertherm models)

Once you have the Operations defined they can be enabled or disabled and moved around in the list . The blue lines will show you the actual cut paths . Once you have the operations all defined the final step is to run the POST processor made for the Control Program (CommandCNC in your case) and it generates the G-code . There are some advanced tools you can use and run a simulation in sheetCAm to confirm iis going to cut like you want.

I suggest you first try some simple shapes you draw in Inkscpae ( like a square with a circle in the venter ) and set that up and do the cut file. Its a lo easier to troubleshot a simple set of shapes than it is to try and figure out whay a complex piece of artwork won't cut/

There are some pretty good online tutorials for all three programs : Inkscape, SheetCAM amd CommadnCNC.

If you live close to North Texas, we have three day classes that teach the three steps you need and end up in a live table cut.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Ingledink91 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:25 am Have tried several of the ready to cut files from the share forum with no luck. Ends up cutting circles in certain areas it shouldn’t. Any cheat sheet guidance to help me in right direction. I have Inkscape camsheet and candcmc
I will be more than happy to take a look at one of your "cut ready files" to see if there are any problems with the file. The quality of "cut ready files" will vary greatly depending on the source. What table and plasma cutter do you have, what software are you using to edit vector (dxf) files, and what software are you using to convert your vector files (dxf, svg, etc.) to cut paths/g-code? I will send you a PM, and you can also PM me as well.

David
harrymorley

Post by harrymorley »

post one of the troublesome files and let us take a peek.
Ingledink91
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Ingledink91 »

download/file.php?id=79586

this is file I cannot get right, keep putting bunch of cut circles

Inkscape and sheetcam are what i am using again i am very green
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Ingledink91 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:59 pm download/file.php?id=79586

Your file opens fine with Inkscape with no circles. I'll import to SheetCam and have a look.
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Ingledink91 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:59 pm download/file.php?id=79586

What plasma table and control software are you using so I can select the proper post processor for SheetCam?
I opened you file with DesignEdge, linked/joined, saved as dxf and imported to SheetCam. Here is what it look like with cut paths.
There are no circles. I temporarily set the lead-in length to zero as you have some features that are pretty small. This could be changed later.
Navy Logo2.dxf SheetCam.jpg
David

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Ingledink91
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Ingledink91 »

CommandCNC from CandCNC
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Ingledink91 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:26 pm CommandCNC from CandCNC
My version of SheetCam offers three different post processors for CandCNC. Do you happen to know which one applies to your particular plasma table?
candcnc post processors.jpg

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Apparently this site does not have the capability to upload nc files. Here is the download link for the g-code file for your part. I used the most recent CandCNC post processor listed in the SheetCam drop-down post processor list.
I would recommend using a sharpie pen holder attached to your torch to draw the file instead of cutting, so as to waste less metal cutting bad parts.

David

Revised g-code file with 0.035" kerf width and 0.100" lead-in settings.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VVnbB4 ... sp=sharing
candcnc post processors 1.jpg

Last edited by adbuch on Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingledink91
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Ingledink91 »

that's the one
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

This is the dxf file I used.
Navy Logo2.dxf
I don't know what plasma cutter you have or your kerf width. For the SheetCam file, I set the kerf with to 0.035" and lead-in to 0.100" and it creates the cut paths with no errors. Here is the g-code file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VVnbB4 ... sp=sharing

As I said previously - I would really recommend using a sharpie pen holder attached to your torch and drawing instead of cutting until you are confident that the g-code file will run with no problems (and no unwanted circles). Or run the file with the torch turned off and watch it run the cut paths to make sure it looks ok. If you need a sharpie pen holder, you can order one here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115988719510?i ... R4i11MnDYw
Navy Logo2.dxf SheetCam settings.jpg
[attachment=0]

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Navy Logo2.dxf SheetCam setting2.jpg

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Question you say it cuts circles where it should not have circles. Do you see the circles in the cut path on the monitor before you cut or only cut in the metal. From what David has shown the DXF file is clean. If you see it on the monitor then its in the CAM software when it generates the G-code.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
TJS
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by TJS »

Should be a SVG's for CandCNC/CommandCNC. See Tom C post above. I also do not use DXF. I use SVG. Not saying this is going to cure your issues but CandCNC suggests SVGs for a reason.
Ingledink91
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Ingledink91 »

so really dumb question, how to convert DXF to SVG?
TJS

Post by TJS »

Did you try bringing it into Inkscape. Resizing to what you want and then save it as .SVG
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

Ingledink91 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:43 am so really dumb question, how to convert DXF to SVG?
Couple of ways:

Import to inkscape, clean it up and save it as Inkscape SVG .

Get Pro version of QCAD and open the DXF and doa Qucik export as SVG.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

It seems we have had this discussion before on a different thread. I achieve the same result regardless of dxf or svg import to SheetCam for a given file. Here is the svg version imported to SheetCam. No circles. Once post processed (converted to actual g-code) I see no reason why the controller should treat the g-code from svg any different than the g-code from dxf. If there are no "unwanted circles" shown in the SheetCam simulation, then there should be no "unwanted circles" at the plasma table. G-code is g-code.

David
Sheetcam 0.jpg
Sheetcam 1.jpg
Navy Logo2.svg

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Ingledink91 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:43 am so really dumb question, how to convert DXF to SVG?
Did you test the g-code file I provided?

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Here is the g-code file from the svg version of the original file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18M6xaS ... sp=sharing

Please test this file as well and report back if you get any "unwanted circles" from either of the g-code files I have provided.

Thanks,
David
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

I imported the DXF to Inkscape then saved as SVG. Direct import to SheetCAM after I have setup the material to be 26 X 26 togive some margins.
This is a rather complex design for a first time project!.. I used the layers in SheetCAm to group the countours into separate cut layers. That provides a controller cut sequence and does the small indie cuts first using the inside offset methods. The outside Braid is a LOT of small cuts .

Once I had the pieces into layers and in the cut order I wanted I applied the tool )I sued 45A Powermax on 14ga steel) which waht we use on a lot of the larger decorative cuts.
SheetCAM_NavySeal.png

There are no circles or alimonies and the G-code comes over into CommandCNC clean and ready to run.
CommandCNC_NavySeal.png
Starting out with a design with over 100 contours can be a challenge even for seasoned operators.

I will post the JOB file so you can modify the type material and cut parameters if you want

tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

Looks like the job extension is not supported .

If you wan the base files just drop me a line or post on the CandCNC support Forum .

Hang in there and things will start o fall into place.

One of the features of SheetCAM is the bility to structure the cut in the order you want and with the tools and auto DTHC with its embedded settings for those cuts. That was a relatively clean DXF and required no clean up , It would not lend itself to a smaller size very well though.

get one cut and cleaned up and post some pix!

Keep Cuuin'!
Ingledink91
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Ingledink91 »

how do i move cut piece to where I want it on table testing with scrap having issues with fixture offsets
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

tcaudle wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:46 pm I imported the DXF to Inkscape then saved as SVG. Direct import to SheetCAM after I have setup the material to be 26 X 26 togive some margins.
This is a rather complex design for a first time project!.. I used the layers in SheetCAm to group the countours into separate cut layers. That provides a controller cut sequence and does the small indie cuts first using the inside offset methods. The outside Braid is a LOT of small cuts .

Once I had the pieces into layers and in the cut order I wanted I applied the tool )I sued 45A Powermax on 14ga steel) which waht we use on a lot of the larger decorative cuts.
SheetCAM_NavySeal.png

There are no circles or alimonies and the G-code comes over into CommandCNC clean and ready to run.
CommandCNC_NavySeal.png
Starting out with a design with over 100 contours can be a challenge even for seasoned operators.

I will post the JOB file so you can modify the type material and cut parameters if you want
Please repeat your process, but importing the dxf directly to SheetCam and show us similar screen shots to the ones you have provided above. I suspect you will achieve a similar result. i don't have the Candcnc software, or I would do this myself.

Thanks,
David

Return to “File Conversion Help Wanted”